Sign in to follow this  
ekymatdad

Opinions on Kentucky Youth State Tournament

I know this started I think..........with the whole "I want a true champ" issue.

But has anyone on here sat with a 5 yr who was in a 32 man bracket in ONE day?

I have tournament of champion...........it was brutal on him and me!

He won his first.........lost his second.....won his third and the fun began.

So if my son wins at 5 yrs old 1st along with 2 other group of kids in brackets so what!!!!

When he is old enough.......he can sit at a three day event.

Good luck to all the arguing adults..........over who is the "real champ".

"I want a true state champ" is not the exact point the "arguing adults" as you want to put it are making. It's setting things up the proper way they should be. Some of your complaints made above are all taken care off by simply having a qualifying tournament. You wont have huge 32 man brackets and better yet you won't have to split brackets up either.

Coach, I have already put in phone calls to the Fern Creek Coaches.  I will not let what you are describing at the Ourway tournament happen here.  At the spring coaches meeting we will discuss some ideas from a Regional qualifier basis.  If you have any ideas on this please call me I would love to discuss them.

I'd love to help set up a qualifier in my region of you let me know who to talk to.

We attended the youth tournament this past weekend and initially I was in agreement with a lot of the negative ideas but after giving some thought to it I have changed my thinking on some points.

Regional qualifiers - On the surface this seems like a good idea but I think we are forgetting where KY youth wrestling is at in its development. Stan was right when he said we are far away from this. We competed in the Dayton OH area in the GMVWA and there were 62 teams with over 1500 kids. At the end of the season they held a tournament where all the kids got together and then in the next couple of weeks they regional qualifiers for the grade school state tournament. In Ohio there are over 7500 kids involved in youth wrestling. This enables all of the kids to get several matches in the 2 - 3 month long season in their local area. After that the top kids keep going to the grade school qualifiers.  The kids that make it to the grade school state in OH are the real deal. 32 man brackets with 4 divisions - I think there are 17 total weight classes. Approx. 500 kids. Weigh ins Friday night with wrestling on Sat and Sun. It also costs a family a lot just to get in. 30 dollars each for adults less for kids and 10 dollars for a coaches wrist band. Plus hotels plus registration.

When we get to the point in KY where kids are getting enough matches during the regular season then we can start looking at regionals. Right now we are not there. We are at the point where we are trying to get kids involved - build up the programs on the local club level and keep the youth coming back. Clearly the motivation from the parents is there we just need to build on what we have and keep progressing. At this point we do not want to turn any kid away from any tournament they want to compete in. Are there improvements to be made - sure. We need to keep involved - give ideas to the regional reps and keep programs growing on the local level. Some have been started but there is a long way to go. Any time someone wants to hold a youth program or tournament they should be commended and given  everyones support. We have come a long way and have a long way to go. Learn from our mistakes and give positive criticism. Clearly there is much to be learned and pulling together youth wrestling in KY will evolve to the point every one wants it to be.

one major problem in comparing Ohio to KY.  Population size.  The state of Ohio has a population about 3 times the size of Ky so if they have 7,500 kids then Ky in comparison should have 2,500 kids. Since we had 600+ at the state tourney.  I would say we have at least another 600 kids who did not participate.  Giving us around 1,000.

I would say that is getting pretty close.  The state of Ky will never be able to have 7,500 kids wrestling when the state has a population around 4 million.

Using your philosophy "patriotrule" Ky should never have a regional qualifier because they will never get that kind of numbers. 

Again the JC family appreciates all suggestions good or bad.  One huge item I forgot to mention is that for the next time the State Tourney is held at JC we have a sponsor and we are going to give expense money to each team attending to help cut down on their costs.  We are going to also try to have a banquet for the kids as well . We had a blast and promise to make it better the next time.

Hey, Indians 40 good lord man your supposed to be working!!!  I would like to thank J.C for putting on the tourny it was a good day of wrestling.

They had a huge task at hand and did the best they could ,for the record I also feel that regonials should be a qualifier that would help with the large numbers.

Ok,I guess I will voice my thoughts on the state tournament.My son has finished 2nd 3 yrs in a row,to a 3-time state champ twice, and the only 4-time state champ.He knew Jake Burroughs was going to be in his weight class,instead of going up a class and being a state champ(99.9 % sure) he chose to try and beat him,only losing 4-2 in a great match.Jake was the true 60lb state champ,but for him to watch kids wrestle in tennis shoes and a tee-shirt and first yr wrestlers win state he was heart broken and mad at the same time.Cliff Keen was having its tournament in Cincy the same day he told me he would have rather just went there(maybe it was because he lost) but at some point we need to seperate quality from quanity in the STATE TOURAMENT.I am all for promoting wrestling (I spend ALL my extra time and money for this sport) but this needs to be adressed.As I told my son ,you never get anywhere by taking the easy path,his day will come with hard work.I also think the state tournament can do the same,we need ideas not anger.

HAHA I even got more from that one post. Some of you people are sad. Learn to take some advice from people instead of thinking everyone who wants to make things better is complaining.