Sign in to follow this  
mouse

Why?

Excuse me if I am sounding a  little rude or anything right now. I am in Cincy right now because our coach was telling our whole team the state meet was the same place it was last year. Now because of it my son is going to have to miss the state meet.

But my question is why is the state meet though being held in an extremely small area that is not centrally located at all?

You would think that they would, but I guess not. Still though it seems like not the greatest location to have a state meet at.

Figuring out why these changes happen might help improve things around here which is definitely needed. Like last year there is no excuse a state meet's location should be changed at the last minute. Last week there was supposed to be a regional meet in McCreary county then all of the sudden it's not with no explanation.

Johnson Central was the only team that offered to host the tournament.  Makes the decision easy.  We would have loved to have been in a position to be able to weigh options to make it more accessible.  However, it does appear that despite the geographical challenges, around 600 kids are wrestling.  Hopefully next year more teams offer to host it.

Did your coach not provide you with a flyer?  The flyers from this site had all the info including the location?

No we did not get a flyer from the coach at all and like I said he was telling everyone it was the same location as last year. I believe they school also had the same name (Johnson)?

Johnson Central was the only team that offered to host the tournament.  Makes the decision easy.  We would have loved to have been in a position to be able to weigh options to make it more accessible.  However, it does appear that despite the geographical challenges, around 600 kids are wrestling.  Hopefully next year more teams offer to host it.

Isn't there like 1 hotel in Paintsville? Hopefully eveyone has somewhere to stay lol.

It is a challenge....but like I said, 600 kids are making the trip despite the geographical challenge.  If your coach had you going to Cincy for the tournament then he is way out of the loop.  Where did he send registrations to???? 

Johnson Central was the school that wanted to have the tourney last year.  Therefore that is the confusion of being in the same place as last year. The unbelievable increase in kids for this year is awesome! The other reason for the tournament to move around is for other youth programs to raise money for the club. Once the youth assoc. keeps growing and getting stronger we can get more influence to maybe able to lock down a central location.  Best of luck to all wrestlers and safe traveling.

It is a challenge....but like I said, 600 kids are making the trip despite the geographical challenge.  If your coach had you going to Cincy for the tournament then he is way out of the loop.  Where did he send registrations to???? 

I don't know anything about where the registation was sent. We are in Cincy just because we have family here and it is close to where the tournament was last year which as I said we thought was in the same place from what we were told.

My sentiments exactly .... well not exactly but in the same ball park, and that ball park happens to be centrally located and right off the interstate.......Unfortunatley complaining about just creates tension what we need is to have coaches and parents step up and prepare to host regionals and state tournys.  Then we can ensure greater accessability.  I would hate to see wrestling go the way of soccer and have it primarily for the children of the affluent.. Many economically challenged parents either cant take time off on the weekends or don't have the transportation, the money available for long distance trips.  If we want to ensure greater accessability then we need more locally based youth wrestling programs in schools, churches, police leagues and after school programs.  In short i would love to see wrestling programs as plentyful as basketball goals.  If we all get involved then each regionals could eventually be 6oo kids and the state could be reserved for the best of the best.  So now let me say this in the interest of building our dream:  Im in lexington and two non profit community based organizations have contacted me about doing youth wrestling programs this summer. They have their own gyms and kids (and are open to including any other youth) but we are in need of mats......i was wondering if there is someone out there who could help.???

We were supposed to have a regional tournament in McCreary last week but all of the sudden it didn't happen without us hearing any explanation at all.

A wrestling dad here from a "not so centrally located to Paintsville" city.

Please quit complaining about where these tournaments are located. I think it is great that Johnson Central WANTS to host. 600 plus kids signed up shows that while it might not be close to all, it seems pretty popular this weekend.

We we never be able to please all of the people all of the time but I commend the clubs that "step up" and take a tournament of this size on. A tremendous undertaking for those who have never hosted a tourney.

Let's get ready to wrestle........

Mouse--I am not sure where you are from, but the reason the regionals were not held at McCreary is because Coach Cash contacted Stan and declined to host--with only two weeks before the tournament was to take place it was amazing that he found another school that could host on such short notice we are thankful Letcher County was willing to bite the bulliet.

Concerning the location--the decision for the tournament to be held at Johnson Central was made last year at the planning meeting the night before the State Tournament 2007.  Every coach should have known for the entire year about the location.  Not only was it discussed there, but it has been posted on this site several times so I can't believe anyone, especially a coach, would not be aware of the location. 

I know it may be a long trip, but people in Eastern and Western Kentucky have to travel for every tournament--it doesn't hurt anyone to travel to them once in a while.  The roaming location from year to year does exactly what was discussed earlier--it gives other programs a chance to reap some benefit for their programs.  I hope the youth program continues to grow--maybe our kids will see the entire state before we finish!

A wrestling dad here from a "not so centrally located to Paintsville" city.

Please quit complaining about where these tournaments are located. I think it is great that Johnson Central WANTS to host. 600 plus kids signed up shows that while it might not be close to all, it seems pretty popular this weekend.

We we never be able to please all of the people all of the time but I commend the clubs that "step up" and take a tournament of this size on. A tremendous undertaking for those who have never hosted a tourney.

Let's get ready to wrestle........

Asking a question isn't complaining, relax.

Mouse--I am not sure where you are from, but the reason the regionals were not held at McCreary is because Coach Cash contacted Stan and declined to host--with only two weeks before the tournament was to take place it was amazing that he found another school that could host on such short notice we are thankful Letcher County was willing to bite the bulliet.

Concerning the location--the decision for the tournament to be held at Johnson Central was made last year at the planning meeting the night before the State Tournament 2007.  Every coach should have known for the entire year about the location.  Not only was it discussed there, but it has been posted on this site several times so I can't believe anyone, especially a coach, would not be aware of the location. 

I know it may be a long trip, but people in Eastern and Western Kentucky have to travel for every tournament--it doesn't hurt anyone to travel to them once in a while.  The roaming location from year to year does exactly what was discussed earlier--it gives other programs a chance to reap some benefit for their programs.  I hope the youth program continues to grow--maybe our kids will see the entire state before we finish!

I'm from McCreary County. The only reason I even knew about the tournament that was supposed to be last week was from reading on this board. I asked Coach Bozeman about it and he said it was happening, then that week I asked him and he said it wasn't, but didn't say why. I don't really know anything about Coach Cash, he coaches the other program in McCreary, I always thought Bozeman was the main guy.

As far as state I think more then anything it was a lack of communication as to why myself and some others were mixed up on the location, I just happened to leave a couple days before we found out to visit family. We have really not been able to practice that much lately because they have cancelled school so much the last few weeks because of the flu and weather. It's been a pretty terrible season honestly because of it. We've only had one "meet" all year if you can even call it that.

.  I would hate to see wrestling go the way of soccer and have it primarily for the children of the affluent.. Many economically challenged parents either cant take time off on the weekends or don't have the transportation, the money available for long distance trips. 

Unfortunately wrestling does cater to the affluent.  Wrestling is not a leisure sport.  It requires that the entire family jump on board and sacrifice everything so that their child may wrestle.  This is much easier for those with stable incomes.

From a couple years experience with a group of wrestlers not affluent I speak from experience.  They cannot travel to tournaments, pay for tournaments.  Their parents can not or will not take them because of lack of transportation.  These kids cannot afford to join clubs or go to wrestling camps. 

Look around the state.  With few execptions those that are not economicaly challenged are the wrestling teams or kids that are successful.  This is why basketball has become popular in poor communities.  They can play pick up any thime they want.

If we don't keep these tournaments in accesable places for the majority then we will loose these type of kids.

To those parents who may see this sport as a financial hardship, take note:

My family may be in an affluent school district, but we are by no means affluent. The affluent moved in on us. My children are the sixth generation to live in this little valley. That being said, I don't begrudge one dime I have spent on the thirteen years that my sons have wrestled. They have been afforded the "luxury" of travel and seeing parts of Kentucky, Indiana and Ohio that they may never have been in the position to experience. I've gotten a geography lesson, myself, driving all over the region.

For my family, the investment has paid off. For all the sacrifices, both financially and with our time (my most valuable commodity), my family has grown as a very solid and cohesive unit. Sure, the focus may be on Bryan's next match, but the hours in the car and sitting in the stands over the years has bonded us as no other activity could.

I don't regret one tournament, one day of bleacher-butt, or one new pair of jeans I may have had to give up to spend time with my children or buy a new pair of wrestling shoes. Give them the tools, and thank your lucky stars when one of them uses them.

My son is going to be wrestling at Princeton, yeah, the one in New Jersey, next season. Now the real investment starts. I won't be able to attend even half of his bouts, but it's not about me. It's about contributing to his growth and development as a young man. I have no worries about his going so far from the Commonwealth, because his years as a wrestler has taught him discipline, a strong work ethic and a desire to succeed.

Not all of your children will be champions on the podium, my oldest wasn't, but they will be champions of your heart. I have worked extra jobs and seen a tremendous "return" on my investment. Please do all you can to support all of our young wrestlers.

This is not only a sport, it is an extended family born of sweat and cauliflower ear, headgear lost and too many second place medals. Pay it forward and the dividends you reap will be boundless.

To those parents who may see this sport as a financial hardship, take note:

My family may be in an affluent school district, but we are by no means affluent. The affluent moved in on us. My children are the sixth generation to live in this little valley. That being said, I don't begrudge one dime I have spent on the thirteen years that my sons have wrestled. They have been afforded the "luxury" of travel and seeing parts of Kentucky, Indiana and Ohio that they may never have been in the position to experience. I've gotten a geography lesson, myself, driving all over the region.

For my family, the investment has paid off. For all the sacrifices, both financially and with our time (my most valuable commodity), my family has grown as a very solid and cohesive unit. Sure, the focus may be on Bryan's next match, but the hours in the car and sitting in the stands over the years has bonded us as no other activity could.

I don't regret one tournament, one day of bleacher-butt, or one new pair of jeans I may have had to give up to spend time with my children or buy a new pair of wrestling shoes. Give them the tools, and thank your lucky stars when one of them uses them.

My son is going to be wrestling at Princeton, yeah, the one in New Jersey, next season. Now the real investment starts. I won't be able to attend even half of his bouts, but it's not about me. It's about contributing to his growth and development as a young man. I have no worries about his going so far from the Commonwealth, because his years as a wrestler has taught him discipline, a strong work ethic and a desire to succeed.

Not all of your children will be champions on the podium, my oldest wasn't, but they will be champions of your heart. I have worked extra jobs and seen a tremendous "return" on my investment. Please do all you can to support all of our young wrestlers.

This is not only a sport, it is an extended family born of sweat and cauliflower ear, headgear lost and too many second place medals. Pay it forward and the dividends you reap will be boundless.

Peace Maker, That was so beautifully written and it was so truthful and very touching. Every coach ought to recite that at the first parent meeting of the season. It would really give some of the lesser privilaged families something to grasp onto. I am a single parent who loooooves the sport of wrestling and was delighted when my only son wanted to take on the task to become a top wrestler. It has not been easy financially or personally giving up all my Saturdays during the busy Christmas season. Regardless, I would not give up one single Sat. watching my son battle for his life, win or lose. Kudos to you peacemaker, and best of luck with the Princeton grapplers.

CONGRATS BRYAN AND TO YOU PEACEMAKER!!!! I WISH Y'ALL THE BEST. WITH THAT POST DO WE NEED ANYMORE ABOUT TRAVELING TO A TOURNAMENT. NO MATTER WHERE IT IS HELD IT NOT EASY ACCESSABLE FOR EVERYONE PERIOD

Thanks also from me.  You see the sacrifices you've made in Bryan.  A terrific young man.  I hope everybody reads and understands how absolutely true it is.

Now that you're not traveling you should turn your attention to writing.

If only every parent was as wise as you Peacemaker.  It is the very few like yourself that make it work.  Unfortunately for every one of you there are 10 that don't see it your way. 

You are the acception instead of the rule.  I hope that all of your children realize how lucky they are to have a perent such as you, willing to sacrafice all to better them.  :-D