Sign in to follow this  
J-Biceps

5 match maximum per day in Kentucky?

Just wondering what the rules are for Kentucky teams in regard to matches per day? I was under the impression that they could dual more than 5 teams in a single a day?

Yes that 5 match per day rule is in effect here' date=' it's pretty stupid.. But whatever.[/quote']

The 5 match rule is a good idea. Anyone who has wrestled will know that wrestling 5 matches in one day fatigues the body. If not for the rule then some coaches, mostly the inexperienced ones, would have their wrestlers wrestle 6-10 times in a day.

That would have wrestlers with 100 mathches in one season. Ky already has a very leanient point system (17 events, a two day event only counts as one).

Ohio schools are much more restricted. Many of their wrestlers only have 30-40 mathes in a season. If anything the regulations need to be tightened not loosened. This is what causes burn out in many wrestlers, and injury. There is a reason for match limits in a day and events for a team. It's for the protection of the wrestlers health.

Look at football they only play 10 regular season games a year. Why don't they play more? Same principle, and many believe wrestling is a tougher sport,(I am one of them), yet we compete much more than football players.

This is a good rule. I'm very glad it is in effect b/c last year at state i had to wretsle 8 matches to get my medal and it was a whole new level of fatigue that i had never experienced. It would be rediculous to wrestle that many matches in one day. And not to mention at state is when you face the best competition so its not like you wrestle 5 scrubs in one day.

I have had the good fortune of attending two NCAA tournaments and I noticed that the D1 kids have very few matches over the course of a season like finals records of 20-2...etc...I have guessed the season to be too grueling and probably more injuries to overcome (no basis for this tho) for any better records than that. There was a kid from Virginia (PSU transfer) a couple of years ago in St. Louis who had a 50 win season (with 40+ pins)when all was said and done. Wonder how he accomplished those stats?

This is a good rule. I'm very glad it is in effect b/c last year at state i had to wretsle 8 matches to get my medal and it was a whole new level of fatigue that i had never experienced. It would be rediculous to wrestle that many matches in one day. And not to mention at state is when you face the best competition so its not like you wrestle 5 scrubs in one day.

So, the rule wasn't in effect last year?

So' date=' the rule wasn't in effect last year?[/quote']

This rule has been in effect in Ohio and Kentucky for at least the last 10 years. The rule is a maximum of 5 matches per day.

The 5 match per day rule is from the National Federation of High Schools.

That's what I thought. That's how it's been in Indiana, but I heard that it might not be in effect in KY.

Reason I was asking was for scheduling purposes. We just had an invite, but had 7 teams which made it impossible to get 5 duals for everybody. Somebody had remarked about KY being able to wrestle more than 5 times which would have remedied this so I was looking for clarification.

Thanks.

Byes don't count towards the five match rule' date=' but forfeits do. That makes no sense to me.[/quote']

A bye is not an official match. Your team does not recieve any team points for a bye. However on a forfeit your team recieves team points (same as a pin), and the wrestler adds one more win to his record.

I don't believe that is completely correct. A bye does score team points in a tournament as long as you win your next match. Also, I thought the rule was enforce for the safety of the wrestler. I can see counting a forfeit after the match has started, but if all a kid is doing is going out, raising his hand and walking off, that shouldn't be included.

True that you recieve pts if you win the next match, but you recieve points for advancing in the tourney, not winning a match.

I do think you are correct there should be a team forfeit and an individual forfiet. If the team forfeits then it should not count toward 5 match rule (ie. dual meets) An individual forfiet would be if a kid sits out for some reason, (ie injury, illness) after he/she has started the tourney, or started the match.

I also believe if a kid steps onto a scale and does not make wt. and does not wrestle in the tourney/dual meat. It shuld become an individual forfeit with that wrestler also recieving a loss on his/her record.

You are also correct that it is for the safty of the kids. Much the same way football is restricted to 10 regular season games. But, if Team A. forfiets to Team B. both of those teams have used up one of their regular season games, same as a wreslter recieving a forfiet in a tourney.

You know I found out Illinois is even more restricted than Ohio with matches.. Varsity wrestlers can only wrestle a max of 4 tournaments but not including a state series.