Sign in to follow this  
stanmms

UPDATED YOUTH WRESTLING BYLAWS

Attached are the updated KSYWA proposed bylaws.  A vote will be taken on May 20th.  Any questions or concerns must be made prior to your Region Reps.

[attachment deleted by admin]

I have one question about the bylaws. It doesn't make much since to hold a student to only 5 middle school matches when there is little oppurtunity for the kids to wrestle at Elementary School tournaments.  How many are scheduled for next year as of now?  2-4 tournaments.  Not really enough mat time to make them better by getting matches under their belts.  Also what about the Northern Kentucky Teams.  Will they be banned from crossing the river to Cincinnatti and wrestling in their youth league tournaments?  Its really not fair for the Western kentucky and Southern teams because its to far of a drive to get their.  I say let all the kids wrestle any venue until the Elementary programs are established.  This proposal can get revisited in a few years.  Rememeber its about the kids getting matches and getting better.  Why hold them back? :-D

I agree with anklepick.  It will be hard for some teams with limited coaches in there program to get matches.  We don't have that problem.  But we aren't talking about what is best for my program we are talking about what is best for the kids of the state as a whole.  How about restricting kids that wrestle in the MS region and state from competing in the ES region and state.  On the same note that would only need to be in place until the states program has built to a point where there are ample opportunities for all skill leveled wrestlers.  my 2 cents

Anklepick,

Thanks for your concern.  It would not affect the Northern Ky teams going to Ohio, the league you are referring to is strictly a youth league.  They do not allow middle school wrestlers.  Also,  Louisville, Lexington, and Eastern Ky participate in that league. 

All other states in our area prohibit completely youth wrestlers from competing in middle school events and vice versa. 

How many youth tournaments are planned is anybody's guess.

The board has looked at the 5 match limit as a way to jump start youth wrestling in Ky by getting teams to realize they have to step up and get their programs running and tournaments planned if they want their kids to get matches.  If we allow youth to wrestle middle school there is no real incentive on the youth teams to organize tournaments.  Other reasons are more simple.  Do you want your 4th graders wrestling 6-8 graders?  Are you concerned what your 4th graders are hearing from the mouths of middle schoolers?

Again, these are proposed bylaws and we appreciate your input.

I just read over the newest edition of the by-laws.  Everything looks good except the dates for events.  There is no way we can compete in January--we don't even start practice until then.  We don't have the luxury of several coaches at the moment.  I really appreciate your work, but I don't agree with the suggested times--they will leave us unable to compete unless I can get an elementary coach that is not responsible for middle school or high school teams--I don't see it happening for us.  Have you gotten any feedback on the times yet--does everyone else think they can meet the suggested time?  I would like to hear from other programs before we settle on a particular date--we will have to go with the majority, but I would like to know what that is.

Hello everyone, please keep the dialog flowing.  It seems like folks are taking positions.  We eventually need to, but for now all the issues just need to be understood.  Post them ASAP,  I will collect them and make sure that the responsible parties have the details.  Please be specific, I am not familiar with everyone.  Give your name, affiliation, region, club, the bylaw number and issue.  Post them here and I will have feedback.  The door is open.  Franklin Wolnitzek Regional Rep NKY.

I agree the kids should not be limited to any certain number of middle school matches.  Middle School matches may be the only mat time they can obtain prior to the Elementary State.  Since the kids are in age groups, I don't see how it matters if some choose to have middle school experience.  If anything, the middle school experienced wrestlers will only make the competition better at the elementary level.  That should be the goal - to increase the level of competition.

Thanks old grappler.  Please let me know what club or region you represent.  I am trying to group and organize the feedback from this message board.  I want to be clear on where our concerns are being felt.  This will help the group voting understand the everyone's needs in the State. 

Franklin Wolnitzek

NKY Regional Rep

Hello Coaches,

I am hosting a meeting for discussion of the bylaws on May 11.  The location is 7150 Houston Road, Florence, KY 41042,  (859) 371-9010 | phone,  (859) 371-9020 | fax.  It will be held in the conference room starting at 7pm and ending no later than 9pm.  Meeting minutes will be posted as soon as possible for everyone to review prior to vote date.

I am inviting all NKY youth wrestling clubs to send someone to this meeting to review and discuss the proposed Bylaws.  I ask that everyone make an attempt to attend this meeting and give their input.  The actual meeting to vote is scheduled for the following week, so this may be your last opportunity to have input prior to implementing the new regulations.  If your club is unable to attend or you are out of the NKY region, please forward your vote for or against each bylaw to me via email to,  barbarawolnitzek@fuse.net 

You can also use this forum to do so prior to May 11 to be considered in the discussion.  Please identify your team affiliation and give any details you wish.  If you and your wrestler are independent, fill free to post your input here as well.

Thank you, 

Franklin Wolnitzek 

NKY Regional Rep

Bylaw 15. Weight Classes*, **,***,****

5-6th 70, 75, 80, 85, 90, 95, 100, 110, 120, 130, 140, 160, open

2nd-4th 45, 50, 55, 60, 65, 70, 75, 80, 85, 90, 100, 110, open

k-1st 35, 40, 45, 50, 55, 60, 65, 75, open

Does anyone understand why we are breaking group down by grade instead of age?  The standard is to use age and weight why are we not?  By breaking up by grade you will have 7 year old wrestling 11 year olds in the 2nd -4th and 10 year olds wrestling 13 year olds in the 5th & 6th Grade. 

It appears the motivation behind this is to have less weight class but why have less if we are wanting to promote elementary wrestling?

If it

Thanks for the great suggestions.

This has already been addressed and I've recomended to all coaches to use the age format.  This will be changed in the bylaws.

When considering age\weight divisions I strongly recommend that we go with the USA divisions.  I know that is a lot of divisions, but as an elementary teacher I know that 1 year can make a tremendous difference in the maturity of a child at this level.  If we hope to keep our wrestlers interested and excited we have to offer age and weight divisions that are competitive to all children--having more than a year division is not a good idea until they get a little older--I really hope we will consider what is best for the children not what is the fastest way to hold a tournament.