BACON'S MOM

216-275

Is there to big of a gap between 216 to 275. Should there be another weight class in between? What do you think?
yeah i do because i know people who are wrestling 275 at like 220 or somebody at 185.

Is there to big of a gap between 216 to 275. Should there be another weight class in between? What do you think?

yes, because most are maybe just a little over 215, and way to light for 275.. should be like a 245???? :wink:

I agree I think there should be one at 245 or 250. Middle school stops at 230 and for most of them it is hard to make that big of change.

true, we go from 140 to 145, to 152 so way not a middle weight for the bigger guys

Yeah because it turns away alot of kids with natural talent because they may weigh 230 and you tell them they might wrestle someone weighing 275 and they are like "forget that" and leave.

so true who wants to wrestle someone 40 or 45 heavier then them

I'm sure it's been brought up many, many times but the fact is it's hard enough to find big guys that size to be comitted to a sport as hard as wrestling, let alone finding another one about the same size..

I would really like to see it so I don't have to wrestle the 250 guy we have anymore.. He's heavy lol.

That is true I am weighing in at 224 and I can't get a varsity match cause I have to wrestle off a 275 pounder. I think there should be some weight classes in between because if you think about it from 112 to 171 is 10 weight classes in between a 59 pound difference and there is no weight classes in between 215 and 275 which is also a 59 pound difference

The powers that be have already addressed this. In the 80's the wt. classes were 167, 185, Hwt (250 maximum)

The 90's the classes changed to 171,189,Hwt (275 maximum)

mid 90's they added the 215 wt class.

The problem is that if you add more wt classes at top then smaller teams will have more problems filling a team. Many already believe that 14 wt. classes are too many.

I am one that believes that the classes need to be changes. We don't need 5 wt. classes between 125-145. I would be all for a wt. class at the top something like this. 175, 190, 210, 230, Hwt (Ulimited or 300)

However I think you will find out that the better Hwt's weigh about 230 or less. They also enjoy wrestling those that weigh 275, they are slower and can't move well.

anyone that is in charge of these kind of things?

The National Federation of state High School Associations is in charge of Wt classes. They survey the states and wrestling teams to try and find the best wt. classes that are feesable.

I believe the web site is WWW.nfhs.org

That is true I am weighing in at 224 and I can't get a varsity match cause I have to wrestle off a 275 pounder. I think there should be some weight classes in between because if you think about it from 112 to 171 is 10 weight classes in between a 59 pound difference and there is no weight classes in between 215 and 275 which is also a 59 pound difference

I would suggest losing the 9 pounds to get down to 215. That isn't that much weight. Is there also a 215 pounder that you would have to wrestle off??? I would take my chances in wrestling off the 215, which is closer to your weight anyways, rather than dealing with a guy that potentially weighs 50 pounds more than you.

Guest DAWG6

If school is canceled on Friday, how many team would not be allowed to wrestle on Saturday :?:

It is not about losing the wieght to get to 215 it is that your school needs a HWT, so that is what you are going to wrestle. I believe at 250 to 275 there is not much wrestling. It is to see who can land on top of the other and hold them there. If you are small you can still do the move's and toss. I beleive some Hwt's stay away because of the 59lb. difference. So wouldn't it be better to change some of the small wieght class to get more of the bigger kids interested?

Grappler of Old' date=' you know our state champ weighs 275? So did the runner up, so actually I think it's the heavier guys normally win if they have a bit of technique and balance.[/quote']

I'm not disputing that penguin, I know that the last 5 or so years the state champ has been over 250. What I am saying is that there have been sevearal Hwts in the last few years that have been successful even though they are very light.

They chose Hwt, not because there was a 215 on their team they could not defeat, but because they could handle the 250+ wrestlers easier.

A couple of examples.

Keith Lageman Con 3rd (I believe he was around 240)

Andrew Domico Sk (I believe was around 220)

Nathan Pulliam SO 5th (I don't remember him being all that big)

Nathan Pulliam SO 4th (same as above maybe even lighter)

Daniel Blevins Hol 6th (I beilieve was about 215-220)

Wes Duke Trin 3rd (I don't remember him being very big)

Andre Bradford East. 6th (I'm pretty sure he wasn't much over 230)

Craig Carter Fair 7th (I don't remember him being much over 230 either)

Dan Olberding Dix 3rd (Around 230)

Dan Olberding Dix 2nd (Even smaller than 2001)

I'm sure I missed a few or some of these were heavier than I remember, but the point is that 40-50 lbs at hwt is not like 40-50 lbs at 140.

I do however think there should be a remodeling of the classes and have a couple more heavier classes.

grappler-of-old, I disagree that most of these boy's "chose" to be HWT's. Some are doing it because there team need's a HWT. I know my son would rather be doing 215, but he is a team player and will wreste what his coach wants him too. Out of all the names you posted not on of them got State Champ, is that not what these boy's are wrestling for. Is to have that title? Not to come in 3rd or 6th place.

I know for a fact that 3 of them could have wrestled 215 on their teams but choose HWt because they could win more matches. All three of them made it to the semi-finals, one of them made it to the finals.

Many, many wresters undetstand that they will not become a state champ. Many have more realistic goals of being a state placer. Most good coaches goal is to make each wrestler the best they can be. Sometimes that just means being a 500 wrestler.

i dont really mind wrestling the big guys very much it doesnt bother me. I like the fact that there are not that many HWT's who are fast so the ones that are slow i know i can get. Just have to stay off my back cause at that point there is no hope for you if one of those guys gets on you.

I chose to wrestle heavyweight because i felt i could do better there, despite weighing in at 212 on the final day of state.  i would wrestle 215 at dual meets if it meant our team had a chance to win the dual, but knew when it came state time i wanted to be heavyweight.  It was always the smaller heavyweights i had trouble with, and usually could beat the big ones

However I think you will find out that the better Hwt's weigh about 230 or less.  They also enjoy wrestling those that weigh 275, they are slower and can't move well.

I am one of those heavy weights i am only about 225 and i have to use my lightness to an advantage and i feel confident with it