Sign in to follow this  
exhawk

Kentucky Boys at Nationals

Congratulations to all of the guys who went out to Virginia Beach this past week and competed. We had 4 All Americans.

Elliott Martin All American at Junior Nationals 103

Josh Johnson All American at Freshmen Nationals 125

Cory Shotwell All American at Sophomore Nationals 130

Harrison Courtney All American at Sophomore Nationals 145

We need to encourage ky wrestlers to go out and compete at nationals. We could have had more All Americans if more kids would have went out. These guys proved that they can wrestle with the best, they all beat top competition from several other states, including state champs and state placers. Great job guys it was fun to watch.

There were several that went and all deserve to be commended for their efforts. People always ask what we can do to improve KY wrestling and the answer is simple, to be able to compete at the national level you have to wrestle at the national level.Warner was the only senior to even go and in my opinion there should have been several more. Everybody that had the guts to go definitely needs to be congratulated.

yes nationals was alot of fun i would have loved to be an all-american but im still proud of the kentucky guys that did make it...in my opinion we would have had a champ (harrison) if he wouldnt have gotten skrewed....but there is always next year!....good luck guys

I think what hurt Ky is the fact the our kids can not be coached by their coaches. We are one of 3 states that has this rule and you can tell. If anything the season needs to be extended to include nationals. Also Korey shotwell is a freshman. I think all together we had 20 some kids go this past week.

i agree there i know that trinitys coach could not coach myron but he coached other kids....which i dont know about everyone else but the things you hear about trinity are not true those guys work hard and everyone is out to get them....they are real good people that i spent alot of time with up at nationals and here!....but the coaching does hurt the wrestler

i agree there i know that trinitys coach could not coach myron but he coached other kids....which i dont know about everyone else but the things you hear about trinity are not true those guys work hard and everyone is out to get them....they are real good people that i spent alot of time with up at nationals and here!....but the coaching does hurt the wrestler

yeah, nationals is a great place to get to know and support other ky wrestlers. I enjoyed getting to know people from around the state and it was really cool how all the coahces helped each other out. It was a good experience, I recomend anybody that can make it to go and compete. I think the coaching issue is something that needs to be fixed, but until then lets not use it as an excuse for not going. If you can get to the tournament, somebody will be in your corner as we saw this past week.

yeah, nationals is a great place to get to know and support other ky wrestlers. I enjoyed getting to know people from around the state and it was really cool how all the coahces helped each other out. It was a good experience, I recomend anybody that can make it to go and compete. I think the coaching issue is something that needs to be fixed, but until then lets not use it as an excuse for not going. If you can get to the tournament, somebody will be in your corner as we saw this past week.

Yea I agree with that, I usally reff during the season but with this rule I can coach during the off season. I help out different kids in the offseason, and it was nice to see the turn out that we had there. But you saw one maybe 2 ky coaches there, that could not touch there kids but were more than happy to coach the other kids that did not have a coach there. The kids that went should already be thinking about going to Myrtle Beach in the summer and try to get All-American again. I plan on being there so hope KY has a good turn out. Last year we had one person wrestle in the summer nationals would like to have more.

Special thanks to Patrick McNutt, the fathers and the two coaches who helped out all the boys. Everyone pitched in to make sure whatever Kentucky boy was wrestling had a coach in the corner.  At times it was chaotic for the boys, and it was nice to see how Kentucky wrestlers and fans looked out for one another.  It was a shame however that the two coaches couldn't coach their own boys, but other people stepped up and took over.  This is a rule that definately needs to be changed.  If Kentucky wrestling wants to be taken seriously, Julian Tackett and the board needs to consider extending the season for the coaches. 

Not to get completely off subject, but I completely agree with the thelowseed about what he said about Trinity and their coaches.  Their kids have always been well manored and their coaches are always willing to help other kids because they love wrestling and will help any kid who is willing to work, regardless if it is their own kid or not.  Coach Hitchings, Coach Brown and Mr. Bradbury have always had time for me and the kids on my team and I thank them for that.