Sign in to follow this  
GB-The-Sportsman

Best matches at state this weekend.

The end of the 285 match was crazy. You can't blame the wrestlers for their mistakes because the overtime rules have changed so much in these last years, and also with the adreniline pumping and emotions running high you can't expect them to have the most focused minds.

thuenamen vs courtney

but i am kind of biast since i do go to scott

at the end when they had courtney fleeing the mat and made it 6-6 everyone in the stands went crazy it was insane, and right into overtime daniel shot a beautiful double leg and unfortunatly leaned too much to the side and got turned

that match was impressive from both wrestlers, and in my opinion the best (considering daniel came back after losing by 5)

Off the top of my head.

Quarters-  best match

Ervin-Golsby--No one thought this would be a match but it was an epic battle till the last second when eveyone was holding thier breath waiting for the officials last call.

Semi-finals-best match

Thuenerman-Courtney-  Lived up to the hype.  Courtney built a lead and Thuenerman came back to end in a rollercoaster ride of a conclution.

Finals match-

most exciting-  Hwt match.  Wow  Bailey can move and had Byrd in trouble seveal times.

Best overall finals match--Sullivan, Evans, everyone thought it was over than bam a state title changes hands.

i have to go with thuneman vs courtney...i was sittin in the front row right next to that mat, and in OT though Daniel had got harrison then what a throw by courtney.  a great match by both wrestlers. 

i do agree though the finals at 112 was exciting at the end, but up until then sullivan had been dominated.  i over heard a comment by one coach to another speakin of sulliva "that is the true sign of a 3x state champ he never quit." everybody in that gym thought it was over when he was in the guillotine but sullivan.  i give him his props on wrestling a full 6 minutes no matter what.

thueneman-courtney match was insane. courtney's nose exploded all over the mat. thueneman really put it to him.

the sullivan- evans match was also a very exciting. every one wanted sullivan to lose but he still came back after getting guillitined to pinn the kid.

props to all four wrestlers you all wrestled great

i think Evans did an outstanding job and that although Sullivan ended up pulling it together at the end, it should definitely be noted that Evans had control the majority of the time, was ahead by what - 5 points? and didn't lose it until the last 50 seconds.

i think Evans was way underestimated and deserves respect & recognition. GOOD FOR HIM :)

that sullivan v evans match is one of those matches that will haunt u in ur sleep until u finally win one. Was it 40 seconds left in the 3rd when he got pinned?

Wolseifer-Wheeler match. Even though the score was close, I never doubted Wolseifer would win. I believe Todd Cole reffed an excellent match. He nailed Wolseifer 4 times for lining up incorrectly, costing him 2 points but also appropriately hit Wheeler with stalling late in the 3rd to tie it up.

Wheeler is a great kid, but simply no match for Wolseifer. Wolseifer looked like the predator and Wheeler looked like the prey. I believe if they wrestled 10 times, the closest match would have been what we witnessed down state. I am impressed with Wheeler, but Wolsiefer is a dominant aggressive take down machine. Each takedown had attitude!

Maybe next year Wolseifer gives us the "full" 6 minutes in the finals and becomes MOW.

i believe with the back points from the guillotine it became 8-1 then the reversal made it 8-3, but im not positive.  i am positive that there were 39.3 seconds left when evans was pinned.  and its easy for us all to say all he had to do was sit there, but i know i wouldve gone for the pin just like he did.  evans wrestled an amazing match though i was impressed

i believe with the back points from the guillotine it became 8-1 then the reversal made it 8-3, but im not positive.  i am positive that there were 39.3 seconds left when evans was pinned.  and its easy for us all to say all he had to do was sit there, but i know i wouldve gone for the pin just like he did.  evans wrestled an amazing match though i was impressed

thats impressive to nearly b majoring someone who everyone thought was going to run through the tourny but i hope he doesnt beat himself up to much after loosing the match and comes back next year ready to someone with a target one their back

as a newer fan of watching wrestling, it was one of those matches where afterwards you kind of sit there for a second.... like.... "did that really just happen?" it's hard to see someone in so much control, dominating the match, and then because of a minor mistake they have it taken away from them that quickly. sullivan's persistence was inspiring, but evans was the underdog and it would have been nice to see him rewarded for keeping control the entire match and wrestling better/harder.

i guess that's one of the reasons i love watching wrestling though - anything can happen in those last few seconds & completely surprise you.

i liked watching the heavyweight finals match too. my boyfriend, a coach, was yelling, "KEEP WRESTLING!" over & over again and the boys just didn't realize it fast enough. and it was really questionable considering the guy from woodford took off his headgear & everything with 20 seconds left... it was pretty exciting, insane, and controversial - a good way to end the tournament i guess :)

I agree with Kalen; the 285 finals were unbelievable at the end. Did Byrd get a stalling or fleeing the mat call agaisnt him at the end? Because that would have made his takedown at the end a must.

i have to go with thuneman vs courtney...i was sittin in the front row right next to that mat, and in OT though Daniel had got harrison then what a throw by courtney.  a great match by both wrestlers. 

i do agree though the finals at 112 was exciting at the end, but up until then sullivan had been dominated.  i over heard a comment by one coach to another speakin of sulliva "that is the true sign of a 3x state champ he never quit." everybody in that gym thought it was over when he was in the guillotine but sullivan.  i give him his props on wrestling a full 6 minutes no matter what.

very true, and it wasn't like evans let him out of the guillotine, sullivan had to fight out of it.  that is one of the grittiest performances i've ever seen by a wrestler. 

Im with SkWrestling119 on this one. Thueneman and Courtney was an amazing match, and had me very excited being that it was my own weight class an all, but Mitch Ervin go the MOW award this year... and he very well could have been beaten in the Quarters by Golsby. It was a very close match and towards the end there were some very questionable points that could have been award but were not. The suspence was tearing the arena apart between the two wrestlers. Ones side shouting Golsby's name, the other chanting Ervin's. Being that John Golsby was the only wrestler from Holmes in the tournament, he received a lot of support from many other school that will probably agree with me when i say "That match should have been in favor of John Golsby." And had he wrestled the same way through-out the tournament he most definatly would have place Third wrestling back which would have proven my point. Though he didnt... so it remains my thesis.