Sign in to follow this  
iotaman

Closest Tourney in a Long Time

Which team surprised you the most, or that you didn't expect to finish where they did?

Place  Team Score

1.  Union County 148.00

2.  Woodford County 140.00

3.  North Hardin 129.50

4.  Fern Creek 126.50

5.  Larue County 125.00

6.  Seneca 124.00

7.  Trinity (Louisville) 122.00

8.  Paul Dunbar 117.50

9.  Ryle 102.00

10.  South Oldham 101.00

11.  Wayne County 89.50

12.  Oldham County 83.00

13.  Eastern 72.00

(tie) Harrison County 72.00

15.  Lafayette 65.50

16.  Campbell County 62.50

17.  Sheldon Clark 61.50

18.  St. Xavier 55.50

19.  Simon Kenton 53.00

20.  Whitley County 50.00

My guess is that it may be that way for a while.  With middle school and youth programs popping up everywhere, there seems to be more parity amongst the teams now.  Union will be strong again next year, as well as Trinity.  Larue and Ryle have some up and coming middle schoolers. It will be interesting once again.

South Oldham, no one believed they would be anything this year because of all the seniors graduating from there team and they have a top 10 finish at the end of the year.

Absolutely! With this years middle school group and the success of the middle school state tourney, it is imparative that you have a middle school feeder to be able to compete. I envision a day where a kid that comes out in high will never be able to make a varsity squad, because the competition and learning curve will be to great. Those schools you mention have had long standing middle and elementary programs, and thats why they have the success they have. The problem come in finding quality coaches with similar philosphies in less populated regions of the state.

whitley county brought 5 wrestlers and finsihed 20th, i know noone expected that to happen i wouldnt be surprised if sum ppl didnt even know whitley had a team

Yea. I was pretty impressed with their 152. He put on a pretty good performance against Wakefield. That lateral that he hit when Wakefield shot was pretty sweet.

yes hes good at that,its more of a pancake then a lateral

Yea. He's pretty strong, too. What grade is he in? I think his style of wrestling [liking throws] will make for some fun to watch matches in the future.

Being biased for North Hardin anyway, I would say that North Hardin surprised alot of teams. Being #1 after 2 days of wrestling was great. They kept it close all the way to the end.

Congratulation North Hardin for a great year of wrestling.