Sign in to follow this  
ref9137

Petition to eliminate the 5 match rule

So what happens do we change the rule to 6 then when that rule becomes a problem we go to 7. 

The reason it is at 5 is because this is an adequate amount of time for a wrestler to recouperate after a match.  A match takes between 10-15 minutes to finish which means actually 1 match an hour. 

We didn't seem to think it was too much of a hasstle to extend the state tourney to 3 days.  Why not have one round on Friday night, and continue the tourney the next day. 

well for some regions this is tough with all of the teams being widespread through the state. and then you have to make weight two days in a row, and you have to pay twice. and get the refs two days too and pay them as well. i mean its quite more expensive to run a two day tournament than a one day tournament expecially a small tournament like region. i mean region itself isnt small by any means but the brackets are. i mean most of our brackets only had 8 to ten people in them. it was probably poor tournament managing that the five match rule came into play.

6 matches will not become a problem if tournaments stay with a 16 man bracket.  That allows you to lose the first round and wrestle alllll the way back...and just for the record i dont remember what weight but one kid in the region 7 tournament did have to forefit his match to be an alternate (so he placed 6th) because he had already wrestled five.  So it does come into play

I think the rule should be removed I have wrestled in tournaments where my teamates spent the entire day wrestling back, only to be told they couldnt get third because of the match limit.  I think with as hard as we train we should be capable of having six or seven matches in one day.

When I saw William Northington take a forfiet for 3rd at middle school state at 140, that was it. The rule is to restrictive and needs to be changed. We don't spend 2 or 3 hours a day bustin' our butts and WRESTLING just to spend a maximum of a few dozen minutes on the mat before we are cut off. Why don't they just limit practice to 30 minutes because we're sure were doin' alot more wrestling there than we are at some tournament. :roll:

When I saw William Northington take a forfiet for 3rd at middle school state at 140, that was it. The rule is to restrictive and needs to be changed. We don't spend 2 or 3 hours a day bustin' our butts and WRESTLING just to spend a maximum of a few dozen minutes on the mat before we are cut off. Why don't they just limit practice to 30 minutes because we're sure were doin' alot more wrestling there than we are at some tournament. :roll:

that is a great point. i wrestle three to four matches BACK TO BACK with just a one minute break to find a new partner at practice. im sure we can wrestle more than five matches a day. why was this rule put into effect in the first place? no one has explained it yet, all anyone says is it is to protect the wrestler. protect them from what? are they more likely to be injured if they are more tired or what?

That is true, it is not untypical for a wrestler to have 6 or 7 matches in a practice, and these matches can go as long as 9 minutes a piece.  So if we train to do it in practice with no break, why cant we do it in a tournament, with the break.