Sign in to follow this  
littleschool130

number of weigh-ins and matches for weight class at regional

at practice, our coach told us the rule for weight-classes was misinterpreted earlier in the year, or it changed or something like that, i dont know. but he said that to wrestle a weight class at regionals, you have to have wrestled at least 50% of your matches there, instead of the 4 matches at a weight class to qualify for regionals? did i mishear what he said? can any coaches tell me whether or not this is true or false information?

I'm Pretty sure that with the new rule in affect they changed that rule. That was the old rule that you had to have 50% of your weigh ins in the weight you were going to wrestle for region. but now with the weight loss plan i think you can just drop down to whatever weight you want, as long as your plan allows it.

Earlier in the year, coaches were notified that wrestlers had to make weight by Jan 27 and have four matches to qualify for Regional.  It was stated by coaches at several meetings that the 50% rule was no longer in effect.

The teams just received information from Julian Tackett about Regional requirements and it said in bold letters that you MUST have 50% of your matches at the weight you wrestle for Regional.  "KHSAA does not have the authority to change the 50% rule". 

I'm sure that this will impact some of the wrestlers who followed the body fat calculator and finally made weight late in the season. 

Maybe by next year they'll have this thing figured out in advance and stop changing the rules as they go.

Earlier in the year, coaches were notified that wrestlers had to make weight by Jan 27 and have four matches to qualify for Regional.  It was stated by coaches at several meetings that the 50% rule was no longer in effect.

The teams just received information from Julian Tackett about Regional requirements and it said in bold letters that you MUST have 50% of your matches at the weight you wrestle for Regional.  "KHSAA does not have the authority to change the 50% rule". 

I'm sure that this will impact some of the wrestlers who followed the body fat calculator and finally made weight late in the season. 

Maybe by next year they'll have this thing figured out in advance and stop changing the rules as they go.

WOW!  That's a major curveball right at the end of the season.

I bet thats really goin to change ur rankings

Not sure how much because it will be hard to figure out who won't make the 50% cutoff.  Off the top of my head I would guess Spencer is the only big name guy that dropped really late.

All right straight from the horses mouth.

Since we are holding the Regional I e-mailed KHSAA

He stated that the state did get rid of the 50% rule.  However the form WR117 will still be used and filled in completely.

Once again the 50% rule is no longer being used.

KHSAA sent out a retraction.  Here's the most recent information.

I thought I had removed all references but apparently that one remained. There is NOT a 50% rule, only a requirement that the athlete make scratch weight (including growth allowance) at least once before January 27th, 2007. I am sorry about the inconvenience.

The fourth bullet should say -

WR117