DeSales

Doss

Iroquois

Fairdale

Valley

Western

Holy Cross

Shawnee

I don't care what anyone thinks about this kid, Willy Northington will make it to the 45 finals in region three. This kid seems to be made for wrestling. He improves noticably each and every week. As an eighth grader he just went 4-0 at State Duals with 3 first period pins. Shawn Hartman got a definate win over him in their first meeting and then Willy pinned him in the first period at PRP last week. With some technique tweeks I think this kid can really make some noise at 45/52 in the next couple years.

Also, he's heading to Middle state this Saturday so wish him luck. He lost to #1 ranked undefeated middle school wrestler by 3 or 5 after cutting weight like crazy for 2 days. I see him possibly makin' finals there too.

Region 3 Rankings

Justin Walls (BUCE)

Aaron Cosgrove (DOSS)

Donald Phillips (PRP)

Hunter Durden (SOUT)

Buddy Whitson (VALL)

Alex Pike (DESA)

Jacob Kruetzer (FAIR)

T.J. Gober (IROQ)

Josh Tygret (MEAD)

Joe McDaniel (HOLO)

David Harris (SHAW)

Ben Edwards (VALL)

Austen Ringo (FAIR)

Chris Pearson (BUCE)

Zach Durden (SOUT)

Tadd Brown (PRP)

Kenton Davidson (DOSS)

Josh Sewell (WEST)

Brad Miller (HOLO)

Kevin Fort (SHAW)

Kurtis Perkins (MEAD)

Coty Young (BUCE)

Hector Rosado (DESA)

William Northington (PRP)

Sean Hartman (IROQ)

Deshon Batts (DOSS)

Austin Woosley (FAIR)

James Probus (SOUT)

Nelson Mason (MEAD)

Austin Browning  (WEST)

Michael Ricketts (SHAW)

I think that the matches on Wednesday have the potential to mess up the rankings in a couple of weight classes.  I am not sure about Cossgrove as a second in 135 I know that H. Durden has beaten him twice head to head.  But with that being said Durden, Phillips and Walls are all going to wrestle each other on Wednesday.  And in 14o you will have the 3,4,5 wrestling each other.  All in all this is a big match that will have some implications for the regional seedings.  Good luck to everyone

Guest RaiderCoach

where is James Payne in the HWT rankings :?

Payne is out for the season with a back injury.

yea its definitely going to be a fight all the way through. what are yall predictions?

I think -

103 BUCE will have no problem against PRP and Sout/but Sout has a chance against PRPR

119 PRP should win

130 A close match btw South and PRP

135 no idea-PRP has beaten Sout and Sout has beaten PRP/Sout was a close match against BUCE - so any of the three could go anyway although I think it will be split

140 Sout may beat PRP and has a chance against BUCE and PRP has a good chance against BUCE - it is up in the air also

145 BUCE should win 2

160 BUCE and PRP too close to call...but I think PRP will win this one

215 Sout should win 2-PRP beat BUCE

285 South should win 2-PRP beat BUCE

What are your thoughts?

When it comes to both teams having their full line-ups I think it would turn out like this [in the classes I know]...

103-BC

112-PRP

119-PRP

125-PRP

130-PRP

135-BC

140-Haven't really seen Pierson wrestle yet

145-Though Willy is the underdog, i'm really not goin' to make any assumption here

152-BC

160-Definatly PRP

I don't know a whole lot about BC upper weights

This will be a knock down, dragged out, back and forth battle 'till the end. It's a shame the line-ups won't be full this Wednesday. But I see this also as how it will pan out at regionals for how each team will do against other competition. This one will be a real nailbiter for sure.

i think cosgrove at 135 definitly deserves the # 2. in fact he has earned it. yes he did lose two close matches in a one week period to durden. one by a point. the next in o-t.however, he has beaten phillips handily every time they have wrestled.also,he has beaten whitson from valley the last two times they wrestled.add the fact that he has beaten state ranked opponents like allman from laffayette (pin in second period)the only other notable loss was to the bc kid (walls)and it was fairly close.i think that walls from bc is obviously the one seed. but cosgrove also deserves the two. 

I think the rankings look pretty good considering they are based on what has already happened in matches but some of the rankings are just not as solid as others. Like at 45 it looks like it's Young and Rosado but at the same time I know alot of people who see Northington as being capable of pullling out an upset and making the finals.

Oh and by the way.....200th POST!!! WHOOOOOOOO-HOOOOOOOO!!!

i think cosgrove at 135 definitly deserves the # 2. in fact he has earned it. yes he did lose two close matches in a one week period to durden. one by a point. the next in o-t.however, he has beaten phillips handily every time they have wrestled.also,he has beaten whitson from valley the last two times they wrestled.add the fact that he has beaten state ranked opponents like allman from laffayette (pin in second period)the only other notable loss was to the bc kid (walls)and it was fairly close.i think that walls from bc is obviously the one seed. but cosgrove also deserves the two. 

yeah you could  make a case either way.  But two losses to one person in the region it is hard to rank him above that person.  Durden beat some quality opponents also and had a good showing at the Dragon Invite coming off the injury.  But at this point the four of them are very close with BC being number one.  It will be great to see how it plays out.......

The PRP / Southern / B.C. tri-meet will determine how the seed meeting will go for Regionals.  If Walls wins both matches, then he's #1.  It will be in the air b/w Cosgrove, Durdeen and Phillips for the 2, 3 & 4 seed.  Has Durdeen wrestled Phillips or is tonight their first match-up?  If so, who won?  I think that will determine who gets the 2 seed.  If Durdeen has beaten Phillips already or beats him tonight, then he is probably deserving of the 2 seed & should get it.  If Durdeen & Phillips have split this year, then I think Cosgrove will get the 2 seed. 

The last time Phillips faced cosgrove phillips was winning that match by more than just a couple points, Phillips was injured during that match and that is why cosgrove got the win by forf.  So I don't think the statement "beat him pretty handidly applies, but in cosgroves defense he did get the win and sometimes thats all people care about.  But in the back of your mind you have to realize the match was not unfolding in his favor.  I say good luck and may the best wrestler win.  Seeds and rankings mean absolutely nothing guys its all about who wants it more in this case. :wink:

here is the break down as I know it.  Durden beat Phillips in a pre-season scrimmage.  Then at Woodford County lost by one point to BUCE and lost to Phillips (severe shoulder injury suffered but still a loss) Durden has beaten Cossgrove head to head twice and not lost to him.  So if Durden beats BUCE tonight and losses to PRP he will be 3 more than likely - if he beats BUCE and losses to PRP he will be two.  If he wins both there is no way he should be anything but 1 or 2.  If PRP wins them both I would say he has to be 1 or 2 and if BUCE wins both and Hunter loses to PRP it should be BUCE, PRP, Sout and Cossgrove.  I do not see how you over seed Sout at 3 if he beat Cossgrove twice.  I cannot make the case that Cossgrove should over seed Durden if he lost to him twice and not beaten him.  But as we have all said it will hopefully be clearer after tonight.

Like I said, if Hunter beats Phillips tonight, he deserves the 2 seed.  As for Cosgrove, the reason he could get a 2 or 3 seed is the fact he has faced Phillips twice and beat him both times.  He has not lost to Phillips this year.  He beat him once by a score of 9-2 @ Jeffersonville and then again in the JCTC by injury default.  Thus, if Phillips wins tonight against Durdeen, that means in the regular season (scrimmages don't count) then Phillips has faced Durdeen twice and won both, Durdeen has faced Cosgrove twice and won both and finally, Cosgrove has faced Phillips twice and won both.  Then the head to head b/w the 3 is a toss-out.  You have to go to other common opponents, quality wins, etc.  If Phillips or Durdeen beat Walls tonight, then that individual would get a leg up on the two seed.  If it's Phillips, then that puts him 2nd, regardless of his outcome against Durdeen.  The first common opponent the coaches would go to would be Walls and Phillips would have the only win over Walls.  Hunter should then get the 3 seed and Cosgrove 4 based on their head to head.  If Durdeen beats Walls, then he gets the 2 seed and that would leave Cosgrove and Phillips for 3 & 4.  Cosgrove would get the 3 seed based on head to head.  If both Phillips & Durdeen were to beat Walls, then who knows about the 1 through 3 seed but I would then say Cosgrove gets the 4 seed.  Hopefully, like previously stated in an earlier post, the picture will be much more clear after tonight.  If not, good luck to the coaches at the seeding meeting for Regionals.  As for Phillips injury default against Cosgrove earlier this year, someone needs to check that again.  I'm looking at the score sheet and the score at the time of the default was 4-4 and Cosgrove took Phillips down as the ref stopped the action b/c of the injury to Phillips' ankle.  He never gave Aaron his takedown, he immediately stopped the action.  If he would have continued the action, Cosgrove would have been awarded the takedown and that would put the score at 6-4 Cosgrove.  However, You're right.  The second time it wasn't handily but it was still a win.

I can't wait to see what happens tonight!  Hopefully it clear things up a little and not make it more confusing.  And the bottomline is they will all 4 be at Regionals so no matter what happens - in the end what happens at regionals is the most important. 

It sucks that we won't all be able to wrestle tonight because of our teambeing so beat up right now with injuries.

POSTING IN FOURTH PERIOD!!!  :-D :mrgreen:

Going back to what Ridge45 was saying... i have seen the "New" William :mrgreen:Northington wrestle lately, i must admit, he has much improved and has a changed attitude about the sport itself. His potential has been met with a few interesting ends that, in agreement with Ridge45, should impress, suprise, and leave many people speechless at reginals... but with what he will, more than likely, be seeded... its almost a garantee that if he makes it into the finals he will win. He has to beat one of the top 2 in order to get there, and the top 2 are pretty evenly matched... I dought that he makes it into the finals this year, though, it isn't too far fetched... I wish him the best of luck. I see him have a very successful future in wrestling lying before him.