Sign in to follow this  
wrestlingforyears

Fern Creek Not going to State Duals

If all 7 of those kids are injured, then I don't see why they should be punished. But, if they are injured wouldn't you have someone behind them that could have wrestled against North Oldham?

If all 7 skipped wrestling North because they "didn't want to" or whatever, then North should be in over them, plain and simple.

Well, maybe they were all injured then in that case?

Will that make the verdict change about State Duals?

Guess not :\

its degrading that FC wrestlers are going to tell the other team that their wrestlers just didn't want to show up.

I totally agree.  Clearly not the actions of a championship caliber team.  Maybe they don't deserve it like Mr. Claywell said.  Capable but not deserving... :cry:

this topic has gotten stupid the more i think about it...north wants to go and get dimalished and not break top 10 thats there business to go they beat fern creek a team that was no were near there varsity line up but yea they beat a team with the name fern creek so yeah guess they can have are spot but will see how that goes over at regionals...when a fern creek kid wrestlers a north kid just more motivation

everybody should stop bashing on fern creek. they had a bad dual because some wrestlers were out sick and hurt. everybody knows that there a great team and state duals are not going to be the same without them. no other team in the state gets bashed like this for losing a dual meet when starters didnt wrestle. i think teams should be upset that fern creek wont be attending because to be the best you have to beat the best! good luck to all teams

i totally understand what everyone is saying about who is the better team but bottom line was this was a varsity match and they did not win.  For example Travis Sullivan or some other wrestle that would win state gets mono the week before individual state he ends up taking 5th place they cannot let him wrestle in the state tournament just because he wasn;t at his best even though he might be the best kid in the state at that weight class. Point proven

No one is bashing Fern Creek.

All I'm saying is they shouldn't represent their region if they got beat by North. It's that simple.

Take North Hardin for example. Last night they had to wrestle both Central Hardin and Nelson County, or else they wouldn't be going this weekend. That means another team would get to go in their place.

That's what happened with Fern Creek...

i totally understand that they did lose numbers dont lie but do you think that they made the choice to not wrestle and forfiet their bid to state duals? a team like fern creek, that is top 5 in the state, doesnt make decisions like that.

i totally understand that they did lose numbers dont lie but do you think that they made the choice to not wrestle and forfiet their bid to state duals? a team like fern creek that is top 5 in the state dont make decisions like that.

Smalls, I'm just going off what was said in this thread. I don't know for sure what happened, and apparently, neither does anyone else.

ok even if fern creek did go to state duals, how would there sick and injured team get cured all the sudden

Ok i think this is just going to far ok So what we have is Fern Creek Lost to north. And now they are not going to represent their region so lets just drop it If the Fern Creek Kids said they were hurt and or sick then i believe them.

thank you fuller thats what everyone needs to relize fern creeks not going, it wont be the same because the winners cant say they beat the very best teams,north is going instead of us to get killed but there going and fern creek isnt thats the bottom line 

If your all done with the he said she said stuff, can anyone explain how they determined who would go, if they all had the same record.

Is there a criteria in place to determine a 3 way tie?

Was it based on winning margin, # of pins, # of forfeits?

Intelligent responses only please!

If your all done with the he said she said stuff, can anyone explain how they determined who would go, if they all had the same record.

Is there a criteria in place to determine a 3 way tie?

Was it based on winning margin, # of pins, # of forfeits?

Intelligent responses only please!

Hey, a voice of reason has shown up.  I was wondering the same thing.  How did that one dual determine it?  Has anyone else in the region beat Fern Creek?  I think FC beat South Oldham, so should there be a tie of some sort (3 or 4 way)?  Not to get off on a tangent, but I think this is another example of how our sport is failing by now truly tracking results and having mandatory reporting.  Does anyone really know all of the dual results?  I don't think so.  And if I am right, how can that be the criteria for sending teams to the state duals?

The criteria for our region is you have to wrestle and beat everyone to qualify for the State Duals.

I don't know about Fern Creek's region, but based on what's happened, I'd assume it's the same way.

Hey, a voice of reason has shown up.  I was wondering the same thing.  How did that one dual determine it?  Has anyone else in the region beat Fern Creek?  I think FC beat South Oldham, so should there be a tie of some sort (3 or 4 way)?  Not to get off on a tangent, but I think this is another example of how our sport is failing by now truly tracking results and having mandatory reporting.  Does anyone really know all of the dual results?  I don't think so.  And if I am right, how can that be the criteria for sending teams to the state duals?

I agree this shouldnt be a judgement call in any way. Surely there is a criteria for determining a 3 way tie?

The criteria for our region is you have to wrestle and beat everyone to qualify for the State Duals.

I don't know about Fern Creek's region, but based on what's happened, I'd assume it's the same way.

I know that Region 6 and 7 have regional duals.  You wrestle every team in the region over 2 days.  There may be some variation from that if teams meet during the season or in the case where Simon Kenton turns down their spot, but I think the finish at that event basically determines who goes.  I personally think this is the best way to do it.  By waiting to let the matchups during the season determine it makes it hard to plan.  Just like North Oldham and Fern Creek.  They may or may not have alternatives lined up or may have to cancel on someone else at the last minute if they get in unexpectedly.  And I don't think any coach organizing and event likes that.

Nelson County held what they called the Region 2 Duals earlier this month, but I'm pretty sure that was the weekend North Hardin was in Tennessee. They had to wrestle Central Hardin and Nelson County last night or North would have been out of the State Duals.

A wise man I work with compared this to basketball. A team loses in the region, but they were without their star player. Said team does not get a do-over and the season is over. That's exactly what happened with Fern Creek...they lost.

I think Region 5 teams make it a point to wrestle each other during the season and that determines which team qualifies. So I think all the teams have wrestled each other. I know Creek beat SO at the Floyd Central Tournament and lost to North. I think South beat North. If they all beat the remaining teams the region, KCD, Eastern, J-town, Ballard and Oldham, all 3 would have a 6-1 won-loss record in the region. If a team missed wrestling one of the teams then their won and loss would be different, resulting in fewer wins, back to your point Ranger regarding record keeping and the need for it and for criteria for determining how teams should qualify.

Does anyone have the specifics of these dual matches in region 5?

Guest wrestler92

It's been years since I have had to worry about this, but back when i was wrestling it was just whoever had the best records in the region (at the time district).  You had to wrestle everyone in your district and the top two teams went.  If there was a tie with record then you looked to see who won the match head to head...if still a tie then we went to a tie breaker like you do for the dual meet.  It hardly ever came into effect.  Usually there was a clear winner and if you didn't have your full team there and got beat by someone then you said fine and the other team went while you did something else!  You didn't cry about it and just waited for district and regionals to come around and try again. 

The specifics:

Fern Creek's only loss was to North (regardless of who they brought)

South's only loss was to Fern Creek (and they wrestled everyone but OC)

North's only loss was to South (and they wrestled, and beat everyone else in the region.)

It's been years since I have had to worry about this, but back when i was wrestling it was just whoever had the best records in the region (at the time district).  You had to wrestle everyone in your district and the top two teams went.  If there was a tie with record then you looked to see who won the match head to head...if still a tie then we went to a tie breaker like you do for the dual meet.  It hardly ever came into effect.  Usually there was a clear winner and if you didn't have your full team there and got beat by someone then you said fine and the other team went while you did something else!  You didn't cry about it and just waited for district and regionals to come around and try again. 

This is the same situation, but there is a tie.  So do we know what the criteria is?

Guest wrestler92

If the below results are correct than it is a tie and so you look at head to head matchups.  Fern Creek lost to North so North is number one.  If South didn't wrestle everyone than they would be ineligible so that would put Fern Creek at number two.  I don't see how you can't count South or Oldham in second since the haven't wrestled each other. 

The specifics:

Fern Creek's only loss was to North (regardless of who they brought)

South's only loss was to Fern Creek (and they wrestled everyone but OC)

North's only loss was to South (and they wrestled, and beat everyone else in the region.)