Jgeilear

5 Match Rule

Just throwing this out there. I know this has probably been discussed before but how many of you feel the 5 match rule should be done away with ??? We had it bite us today. Seeding has been terable so far this year because of our name misspelled on Track awhile back so it’s been an uphill battle. Jackson pinned a kid in his first match then lost his second match  Pinned his way back to a forfeit for 3rd and 4th. Its disheartening to see them work so hard for it and get shot down by a forfeit or a coin toss. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jgeilear said:

Just throwing this out there. I know this has probably been discussed before but how many of you feel the 5 match rule should be done away with ??? We had it bite us today. Seeding has been terable so far this year because of our name misspelled on Track awhile back so it’s been an uphill battle. Jackson pinned a kid in his first match then lost his second match  Pinned his way back to a forfeit for 3rd and 4th. Its disheartening to see them work so hard for it and get shot down by a forfeit or a coin toss. 

Not sure if it may differ then actual, but i was sent that he had a 6-7 record today. There were four kids with winning records , after that losing records got drawn in to seperate regions so kids  got matches against kids they normally would not see. He out wrestled his record and seed, congrats.  I do wish they would go to 6 matches, but at this point dont see it changing.

Congrats and best of luck

There are options when using trackwrestling that help this very situation. Use brackets that are formatted different which allow kids to wrestle the max amount of matches without exceeding the 5 match rule. 

9 hours ago, 119Rider said:

There are options when using trackwrestling that help this very situation. Use brackets that are formatted different which allow kids to wrestle the max amount of matches without exceeding the 5 match rule. 

Most of those options don’t allow someone who loses early an opportunity to finish 3rd either.   Even the NCAA has rules about number of matches you can wrestle in a day (it’s 6) and every NCAA tourney I’ve been to has guys miss out on placement matches.  A line has to be drawn somewhere.  And quite honestly, in an everyday, average HS tourney that has top guys sitting out in almost every weight class (which is almost every weekend), who cares if you finish 3rd or 4th, or even win? These tourneys are all lead ups to the big events, region and state, one of which is a blind draw (so that 4th vs 3rd means nothing).   Bottom line, regardless of seeding, if you want to place high, you can’t lose early.  That’s why most high level tourneys, where you likely can run into a hammer early, are two day events.  Sure it’s nice to take home placement medals.  But in the grand scheme of things, 3rd vs 4th at an everyday tourney just isn’t that big of deal, or worth changing a rule that’s in place due to safety.