Sign in to follow this  
Old wrestler

Nebraska Marketing

As a life long wrestling fan, I know wrestling can use all the allies we can get. Today, I was watching Nebraska vs Michigan, and to my surprise, they had the Nebraska gymnastics team performing at the same time. While the music was a tad distracting, it got me thinking about marketing our sport. 

Mark Manning may really be on to something. During olympic years, gymnastics is extremely popular. If we can create a partnership, this could be extremely beneficial towards exposing wrestling to a new audience. 

The gymnastics team finished shortly before the wrestling team. To my surprise, they came over to the edge of the mat and watched the dual. If I was still a young man (heck, even now) having the Nebraska women's gymnastics team watching me wrestle would provide just about all the motivation I could ever need...

Is this something that we could do at the NAIA level, high school level, etc.? 

• Upvote 1

I actually saw this same thing last year. I was watching a Michigan State home dual and they had gymnastics going on at the same time. Although odd at the time, now that it has been mentioned, some type of partnership may make since.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Nike Man said:

I actually saw this same thing last year. I was watching a Michigan State home dual and they had gymnastics going on at the same time. Although odd at the time, now that it has been mentioned, some type of partnership may make since.

I was just going to comment on this. I was ticked about this schedule. Seemed to do both wrestling and gymnastics a disservice. However, Old wrestler might be on to something. 

• Upvote 1