Sign in to follow this  
Granby

Official - Bellarmine Wrestling !!!

I know it was mentioned on some earlier posts, but I didn't believe it until I saw it. This is awesome news. 

Allot of talent to draw from around here and around the state. Bellarmine is a great school with tremendous athletic programs.So excited to have college wrestling in Louisville!!!!!

Think of how much good this can do the sport in this city and state for that matter. Knights hall is a perfect venue.

From the Courier - Journal 

Bellarmine announced Tuesday that it will be starting a men's college wrestling team to compete in NCAA Division II beginning this fall. The move will be completed "by essentially absorbing the former Saint Catharine College team," according to the university.'

"Upon the announcement of the imminent closing of Saint Catharine College, Bellarmine University's administration and trustees began exploring programs that could be transitioned from Saint Catharine to Bellarmine to the mutual benefit of both," Bellarmine Interim President Doris Tegart said in a statement. "The wrestling team fills that bill and is a natural fit for our athletics program."

Wrestling will become the 22nd Bellarmine sports program. Matches will be held in Knights Hall.

Per Bellarmine, "Last season, St. Catharine competed at the NAIA level in wrestling with 41 team members. Head coach Spencer Adams and assistant coach Gary Canter will remain coaches at Bellarmine, and all former SCC team members wishing to transfer will be retained as well. In addition, Bellarmine will honor the commitment to all of the St. Catharine signees for the 2016-17 season, provided they meet Bellarmine admission standards."

The Great Lakes Valley Conference now has seven schools that feature wrestling, while 59 schools compete in wrestling in NCAA Division II.

http://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/college/kentuckiana/2016/06/14/bellarmine-start-mens-wrestling-team/85873752/

• Upvote 2

I was wondering if anyone could put me in touch with either of the two coaches here.  I would love to help coach as an assistant if they are in need of somebody but I don't really know either of them at all.  

• Upvote 1