Sign in to follow this  
Guest AverageJoe

K.O.B. Results

Guest AverageJoe

103: Myron Brabdbury lost to Ritz by points

112: Trinity (Smith i think) over Ritz ( Trinity won by 6 or 7 or so, looked very solid)

119: Luna ( eastern) over Supa (Scott) Luna by 5ish

125: Ritz pinned Ohlman (trinity)( in 1st period)

130: Eck Decision over Branch by 7 or 8

135: Butler over Stewart (great match, Stewart had lead until last period, lost by 1 or 2 points)

140: Jackson M.Dec. over Ritz ( Jackson looked very fundamental and solid, definate possible state champ)

145: Courtney over Thuneman 4-2 ( this match was questionable though, courtney was awarded 2 point nearfall that maybe shouldnt have happened, the ref didn't even wave a hand to count, a 1 second turn, so look for thuneman to be hungry next time, he got the takedown in the 1st period) But Courtney looked good. I dont know if thuneman is staying

152: Hitchings over Ritz 10-5 roughly ( was impressed with hitchings, very good off bottom, great switch, and fairly good on his feet as well, he sways a little from side to side, but other than that he's tough from nuetral position... not overrated.

160: Wolseifer over Wolf 19-7 ( Wolsiefer is a BEAST, thoroughly impressed)

171: ???? cant remember, sorry

189: Jones pinned Rupp ( Rupp was leading in points late in the match before the pinfall, great match... Rupp weighed in 171 but wrestled up, was the rumor)

215: Chaney over Doss ( two point match, very slow, both were hit for stalling at the same time, twice i believe)

275: ?????? sorry

The actual scores were relative, so sorry if i'm off, please correct me if so.Woodford was missing starks, lewis, parks, and maybe more.... Teams i believe were 1) Ritz 2) Fern Creek 3) Trinity 4) Woodford 5) North Hardin

HWT:  Reitz (Campbell) over Woodford CO. in a great match.  9-7

Wolsiefer is a BEAST!  Jones (125-Reitz) looked good pinning all opponents in the first period.

I replied to this and the response did not come up, so it is floating around somewhere in cyberspace and may appear later.  So, I say again:

I would have like to have seen Deon CHaney and Matt Baker in the finals of 215.  Matt lost in the semi's to Nickel from Doss on a questionable awarding of a 2 point takedown in literally the last second of a tied match.  Not taking away anthing from Nickle, because we would have loved to have that call go our way.  I admired Nickel for the intensity he showed while wrestling.  Matt went on to beat the Evansville Reitz guy and then beat Wentworth from Desales 7-3 or something like that, to place third in the KOB.  What you learn is to try and not let it be so close in score like that, so that a call like that does not mean the difference between advancement and a quick trip to the consolation round...

Eck looked awesome.  Mark Jones had an exciting match coming from behind to beat Rupp.  Thuneman (sp?)vs Harrison was a nail-biter.  I don't know who got MOW, because i left before it was announced, but my vote would've gone to Wolsifer.  Awesome, unbelievable, looked almost untouchable.  If he was ill, I'd hate to see the damage he could do feeling 100%.

Wolseifer was definitely the best wrestler at the competition.  He doesn't look like much but with this kid, looks are definitely deceiving!  I really thought Mark Jones from NH looked good.  Likewise the HWT from Reitz was impressive.  He's very technical wrestler for a HWT.  Harrison Courtney did not impress me that much but the bottom line is, he knows how to win.  I think it may have been a different story if

Woodford had brought their complete "A" team.  Overall, I thought the KOB was a good tournament.  It got started a little late (10:45) but was wrapped up by 9:00, which was nice.  Once it started, it ran pretty smooth and they did a nice job of keeping the matches rolling.  The massive amount of byes helped quite a bit too. 

As for a preivous reply about Matt Baker, I don't think Baker vs. Chaney would have been as good as the Nickel vs. Chaney match was.  Just my opinion.  I think Chaney got a tougher match than he thought he would.  Nickel had Chaney to the mat in a side headlock just as time expired in the 1st period.  If he would have had it 20 seconds earlier, who knows what would have happened.  Take nothing away from Deon, he did what he had to do to win. 

Reitz's hwy (Moose?) deserved the MVP in my opinion. He wrestled aggressivley the whole match and ended up beating the favored Byrd to lock the team victory over Fern Creek. The only; reason why he didn't win OW is because everyone decided to vote then leave without watching the finals.

I agree that KOB ran very well once it got started. Some good matchups, in the medal rounds, Fern Creeks 112 Dan Weixler scored a reversal off the whistle in the last 5 seconds of his match against Woodford for a 3rd place medal, great rally lots of heart, both kids wrestled well could have been one of the best matches of the day.

The heavywieght match between Byrd, Woodford and Campbell, Reitz was one of the best Hvy matches I've seen. Both kids are very athletic and quick for being so big. Both kids showed lots of toughness and lots of class on both sides.

145 Courtney vs Thuenaman great match, very close could easily be a finals match in Feb. Houchins and Barger made this one of the toughest wt classes of the day.

Trinity freshman showed signs of things to come with 3 in the finals, Bradbury, Ohlman and Hitchings. Hitchings beat a very strong wrestler in finals from Reitz, showed his experience and composure in a tight match that he pulled away to win. Josh Lewis another Frosh, 189 gave Mark Jones a good match to finish 3rd behind Jones and Rupp.

Fern Creek kids performed well, Warren 103 wrestled well to take a 3rd, Weixler did the same. Branch won a great match against Reitz in the semis to get to the finals losing to Eck. Stewart lost in the last seconds of the finals. Jackson handled everyone as expected. Barger wrestled well finishing fourth. Wolsiefer won MOW and Chaney showed great heart winning a close finals.

Overall the tournament was down a little compared to last year. Missing were South Oldham and New Albany which would have added some more competition but was still one of the better tournaments of the year and a good way to start December.

Josh Lewis gave Mark Jones all he can handle,but jones came out the winner in the end but over all great match. Best match of the day, was the heavy in my eyes. :mrgreen:

Evansville Reitz,

They are close to cracking the top 20 in IN. Always wrestling  in the shadow of Evansville Mater Dei, the perennial power in IN. If they wrestled in another part of the state they would probably get more recognition and be ranked more consistently.

They were without a few kids and one of their best wrestlers from last season (Lucas Robertson) is not currently wrestling. Jones, 125lbs (#11 IN), Houchens 145lbs (#14 IN) and Campbell, Hvy (#10 IN) are their ranked wrestlers. They have a number of kids that will probably crack the top 20 as the season progresses. They wrestle hard nosed tough style and teach their kids not to get pinned.

Good to see them this weekend and good luck to them!

Evansville Reitz should be ranked!

They beat the 18th ranked team in the state by 20 points.  They only have two seniors on the team and are still missing 1 or two varsity wrestlers. 

However, I feel if Woodford had their studs in the line-up it would of made a big difference.