FalconWrestling

Region 1 Rankings 1/4/16

Got to see small school sectionals this past weekend, I was really impressed by some kids. But I also wanted to briefly comment on something that happened. I know firsthand how much emotions can override thinking during a dual, especially one that holds a lot of emotional weight. But us coaches have to remember that at the end of a day a kid's health and safety is far more important than any win. Our first thoughts might not be in the right place but once that happens we have to recognize our mistake and correct ourselves. Also everyone refs, coaches, etc need to remember that at the end of the day it is NOT the wrestler's call to continue only the coaches and ultimately the trainer can make that decision. I don't think all the regional dual results were posted so I'm going off of what I have and my memory.

1. Kaleb Sapp, Ohio County (1)
2. Zeke Escalera, Union County (UR)

3. Daniel Knight, Christian County (2)
4. Ethan Wells, UHA (5)
5. Keaton Elliot, Calloway County (6)
6. Keegan Slone, Trigg County (4)

Sapp with another win over Knight. Escalera gets the nod for Union, already well known as one of the top middle schoolers in the state I expect big things from him. Elliot picks up a win over Slone but Wells has a win over Elliot so Slone drops down to 6.

1. Austin Grant-Hall, Christian County (2)
2. Dale Robertson, Hoptown (1)
3. Ray Hamilton, Paducah Tilghman (5)

4. Trevor Poague, Union County (UR)
5. Isaac Aguier, Trigg County (6)
6. Seth Slayton, Caldwell County (3)

I've been talking up Grant-Hall all year and I finally get to put him in first where I've wanted to put him for awhile. Hamilton has been wrestling well lately but is still behind Robertson. 113 is a question mark for Union County, a couple different guys have gotten plugged in. It is possible we could see Payne Carr (younger brother of Jayce Carr) in this spot eventually. Aguier and Slayton didn't have the best week but are still threats.

1. Saul Ervin, Union County (1)
2. Cameron Dearmond, Hoptown (3)
3. Nick Dickerson, Calloway County (2)

4. Ishmael Griffie, Christian County (4)
5. Jordan Snyder, Trigg County (6)
6. Shane Grey, Ohio County (5)

Ervin of course will be untouched in the region but Dearmond and Dickerson should be an interesting battle. Snyder picks up a win over Grey.

1. Camerin Cole, Christian County (132)
2. Scott Ruttman, Calloway County (1)
3. Devontae Turner, Trigg County (2)
4. Kaleb O'Campo, Caldwell County (3)

5. Sam Hite, Union County (5)
6. Hunter Vlach, McCracken County (132)

Cole drops down from 126 and I'm not sure what happened with the Ruttman match but he is in first for now. Ruttman seems solid above Turner and O'Campo appears to hold a steady lead over the 5th/6th guys. But with 126 being such a hole for Union I could foresee Sheffer dropping. 

1. Bryce Sheffer, Union County (1)
2. Jeremiah Kline, Trigg County (UR)
3. Louie Regaldo, Fort Campbell (2)

4. Jacob Bellah, Calloway County (4)
5. Zlato Skuljan, Hoptown (138)

6. Nick Galbrath, Christian County (UR)

Regaldo honestly impressed me even if he dropped matches to both Sheffer and Kline. There was a moment he nearly had Sheffer on his back but didn't finish the turk and the match with Kline was as close as most matches can be, Kline had more in the tank at the end and pulls out the win. After that deadly top 3, all of whom could finish on the state podium easily, Bellah leads two very tough wrestlers in Skuljan and Galbrath. 

1. Chance Collins, UHA (2)
2. Micah Ervin, Union County (145)
3. Alex Curl, Fort Campbell (3)
4. Kestin McClain, McCracken County (UR)
5. Colin Stevens, Trigg County (4)

6. Antonio Abren, Christian County (6)

Not quite sure what Union is going to do with 138/145 but Micah was the one there last week picking up a win over Curl. This puts Collins solidly in first. McClain has been on a tear at 138 including a win over Stevens.

1. Chance Oxford, Union County (138)
2. Kobe Perry, Christian County (1)

3. Justin Crabtree, Trigg County (3)
4. Jeffrey Mathis, McCracken County (6)
5. Ethan Tomerlin, Fort Campbell (UR)

6. Jacob Kramer, Calloway County (5)

Not sure if Oxford plans to be a permanent fixture here. Perry is very good, not sure of his chances against Oxford. Crabtree is sitting in third but needs to be careful of Mathis and Tomerlin who have both been wrestling very well. 

1. Jackson Oxford, Union County (1)
2. Isaiah Lawson, Hoptown (2)
3. Jack Haynes, Calloway County (4)
4. Braden Sperry, Caldwell County (5)
5. Kolbee Key, McCracken County (UR)
6. Kenyon Drayton, Christian County (UR)

Well with Ryder still injured and some weight changes 152 isn't as tough as it was but the top four are still solid wrestlers.

1. Dylan Grey, Caldwell County (170)
2. Diion Leavell, Christian County (1)
3. Malik Cunningham, Trigg County (152)
4. Ivan Lawson, Hoptown (3)
5. Mario Perez, Calloway County (2)
6. Justin Girten, Union County (UR)

You could make arguments over my allowing Grey to sit at #1 but I feel pretty safe with this choice, and if you disagree that the results show that now I guarantee they will defend the ranking soon. Leavell is still very dangerous and has pulled out tough wins several times before. Cunningham is looking solid and Lawson is not far behind so both are moved over Perez who has been struggling a bit. Keep an eye on Bowling from McCracken, just missed the rankings

1. Avery Buckman, Union County (1)
2. Keyven Sells, Christian County (2)
3. Caleb Riley, Caldwell County (160)

4. Kolby Morris, Hoptown (5)
5. Caleb Martin, Trigg County (UR)
6. Aaron Allen, Ohio County (6)

Riley seems to be doing alright in the new weight class but Sells and Buckman still lead the weight.

1. Cole Sherman, Union County (195)
2. Katayvon Anthony, Hoptown (1)
3. David Woods, Calloway County (2)
4. Daniel Moll, Caldwell County (3)
5. Alex Billiter, Christian County (4)
6. Colton Stoner, Trigg County (UR)

I've heard it too many times from too many people. From my understand he was supposed to be wrestling at 182 last weekend but I don't know why he didn't. Anyway until the evidence suggests otherwise Sherman will be my #1 guy at 182. 

1. Phil Bradley, UHA (220)
2. Jackson Fitzgerald, Paducah Tilghman (4)
3. Seth Estes, McCracken County (2)
4. Josh Efinger, Calloway County (5)
5. Ross Hicks, Union County (UR)

6. Mark Diaz, Trigg County (6)

With Sherman not in this weight there is a huge void at the top that several wrestlers are vying for. Bradley cutting down puts him at #1 but Fitzgerald and Estes are both region title threats now.

1. Chance Orr, Paducah Tilghman (1)
2. Conner Sherman, Union County (UR)
3. Colby Culver, Calloway County (3)
4. Tige Littlefield, Caldwell County (4)
5. Deion Lane, Hoptown (UR)
6. Anthony Adkinson, Fort Campbell (UR)

Major is dropped for now, but Sherman is back in. Bradley has dropped down and it appears Thomas has gone back up. Orr and Sherman should be an interesting match to watch but I think Sherman comes out with the win. Edit- Fixed for the Orr/Sherman match that I missed.

1. David Nikolao, Fort Campbell (1)
2. Bryce Chandler, Union County (3)
3. Mahlon Ray, Christian County (UR)
4. David Clark, Calloway County (2)

5. Gavynn Davis, McCracken County (4)
6. Logan Thomas, Hoptwon (220)

Nikolao looked really impressive, I am pretty sure he has more quickness then all of his brothers combined. His father was telling me for years how David was going to be a quick heavyweight, and obviously that's the case. Anyway barring injury or mental meltdown Nikolao runs through the region and I can't wait to see how he does in the state. I believe Ray is back and that's good for Christian County.

Team Race

1. Union County (44.5)

With their lineup solidifying Union is already looking beyond the regional title towards a run at another state title.

2. Christian County (26)

Like I said last week, I don't feel that Christian County has reached their potential yet. 

3(t). Calloway County (15.5)

I kept double and triple checking but I suppose with Union soaking so many of the points Calloway's score dropped despite continuing to wrestle well. They looked very tough this past weekend.

3(t). Hopkinsville (15.5)

Similar with Christian County, Hoptown hasn't quite reached their potential. Unlike County I'm not quite sure where that potential could take them.

5. Trigg County (12.5)

Having Kline back in the lineup is a huge boost to Trigg who comes into 5th. The supporting cast is strong enough to keep Trigg competitive despite not having the punch of Kline. Caldwell is reaping the rewards of Grey dropping and UHA is hoping to pull out enough region titles to make up for their roster size 4. Fort Campbell is still very dangerous with their top guys losing razor thin matches and missing Ryder. Paducah leads the rest who all have top region title threats just lack the depth to score that many points.

Caldwell County (11.5)
UHA (11)
8(t). 
Fort Campbell (10)
8(t). 
Paducah Tilghman (10)
Ohio County (6)
11. McCracken County (5.5)

2 hours ago, BobcatWrestling said:

Confused about how Fitzgerald jumped Estes at 195. From what I remember, Estes is 2-1 against him this year. But maybe I missed something...that's a big possibility. 

Thanks. 

It goes to whoever has the last win and that's Fitzgerald. "Ranking goes to the latest victory" is one of the core tenants of wrestling rankings

38 minutes ago, FalconWrestling said:

It goes to whoever has the last win and that's Fitzgerald. "Ranking goes to the latest victory" is one of the core tenants of wrestling rankings

Understood. Wasn't aware that Fitzgerald had the most recent win. Thanks. 

• Upvote 1