Sign in to follow this  
supernat

State Tournament Brackets

District region state was done with a 16 man bracket for ever, 30 plus years and there were no problems , no need to restructure anything. Qualifying would be more difficult and some kids wouldn't get to go.

And Neverbreak if you cant distinguish the difference between the top few guys in state vs the rest well.....try to figure that out, might help ya :) or we could just have lop sided brackets which is so great to watch for state finals, we should random draw the NCAA bball tournament to right?

Really wonder what the Coaches association would vote??

I'm not sure how they would vote.

IF  

There vote is informed and not an emotional vote.

Everyone will agree that separating the best two wrestlers in a tourney is the right thing to do. No question about that.  

The real question is how do you decide the best two wrestlers?  Some say have a coaches seed meeting, every coach should be in attendance.  Have you ever been to a regional seed meeting?  Coaches have a hard time agreeing there. 

Some coaches will not be able to attend.  Most are teachers themselves or have other jobs to attend to.  They also have practice to run (for those that are hours away).

The answer to that was "if you can't do these things then don't be a head coach"  How many teams only have 1 coach (I know Scott High only has 1 coach) And if they didn't coach then there would not be a team at several schools.  

There are many logistics that would need to be worked out, before an "informed" vote could be made.  

Coming on here and just saying it should be done is easy.  Figure out a way for it to be done fairly to all, not just the power teams, take into consideration those small teams with a hand full of wrestlers with only 1 coach that has to do it all, along with convincing their school to keep the team going. 

That is how I came up with my idea of going 3 weeks again. Problem there is that there may be an extra cost for some teams, along with shortening the regular season by one week. (KHSAA will not extend the season another week).

By the way it takes what 4 days for the NCAA to seed their BB tourney, and those are experts. 

I'm not sure how they would vote.

IF  

There vote is informed and not an emotional vote.

Everyone will agree that separating the best two wrestlers in a tourney is the right thing to do. No question about that.  

The real question is how do you decide the best two wrestlers?  Some say have a coaches seed meeting, every coach should be in attendance.  Have you ever been to a regional seed meeting?  Coaches have a hard time agreeing there. 

Some coaches will not be able to attend.  Most are teachers themselves or have other jobs to attend to.  They also have practice to run (for those that are hours away).

The answer to that was "if you can't do these things then don't be a head coach"  How many teams only have 1 coach (I know Scott High only has 1 coach) And if they didn't coach then there would not be a team at several schools.  

There are many logistics that would need to be worked out, before an "informed" vote could be made.  

Coming on here and just saying it should be done is easy.  Figure out a way for it to be done fairly to all, not just the power teams, take into consideration those small teams with a hand full of wrestlers with only 1 coach that has to do it all, along with convincing their school to keep the team going. 

That is how I came up with my idea of going 3 weeks again. Problem there is that there may be an extra cost for some teams, along with shortening the regular season by one week. (KHSAA will not extend the season another week).

By the way it takes what 4 days for the NCAA to seed their BB tourney, and those are experts. 

Exactly, this is all I was saying to begin with.  So many people complain but nobody offers a viable solution that fits the state.  Much easier said than done.

takedownartist,

You can twist what I say however you want, but I never said anything about the lower placers being as tough as 1-4, in some cases they are, but usually not.

If you only come to watch the finals ("where the best matches take place") you are not a real fan of the sport.  

This is where I insert my opinion whether you agree or not it is mine and I am entitled to it.

The state tournament is not only about the finals I hope you realize that  ;). So the 1-2 meet in the quarters or semis, oh well poop happens, the number 2 should still come back and get third.  He still lost to the same guy as the person who gets 2nd.  There is no difference between 2nd and 3rd, except maybe wrestling under the lights, which isn't really that special anymore (thanks KHSAA).

Brackets with the top three guys on each side are common and ridiculous , not seeding the tournament is admitting ignorance as well as laziness , Also the way the regions are so ignorantly lopsided giving decent teams from regions without good all around Union in particular would only make it worse if you narrowed it down more because their region is still weak. Red 6 will once again probably have the most points at state and that's with kids knocked out that would win most other regions .

SORRY TO BE FACTUAL but looking at just the top two weights 4 out of the five best on one side and it's common place , seen it every yr , makes the tournament lopsided and changes every possibility of a fair tournament because whoever is in charge cannot figure out what any group of freshmen wrestlers in the state could and seed the tournament , and I see JV teams that have and could beat some regular dist champs soooh Enjoy the tournament and get your snow shoes on its a winter sport quit crying and if your to askeered to show up no one wanted to see you get pinned in a few seconds anyway ,

AVENGERS ASSEMBLE it's CLOBBERING TIME THUNDER CATS HOOOOO By the Power OF Red bull and Kameeeee Ameeee AHMeeeee Haaaaaaaaaaaaa.

I agree with you Tapout. They could seed all 8 and everyone else falls in line. I did not think for a minute this would work when it was don at the Middle School level. But it has. Now I'm not saying there wouldn't be good early match ups but it makes sense to try to have the best meet when it counts, under the lights. I'm for seeding it, but as I said before, if MS can do it, we can too.

I wrestled in the 90' s and there was no need to seed the state tournament. The wrestlers decided their draw by how they placed at Region. I prefer to go back to the three weekends of wrestling and lettin the wrestlers decide where try are seeded for the state tournament based on how they wrestled at regions. Top 4 from district continued to region (districts), top 4 from region(4 regions), seeded in state tourney based on regional placement (regional winners were 1 seeds and you split up regionals and everyone else fell in line).There were fewer wrestlers in the state then than there are now, not sure why this format was changed but I think was a mistake. Bye, it used to be an accomplishment to wrestle at state but now, as has been said, almost everyone gets to wrestle at state.

Sign in to follow this