Sign in to follow this  
Zeus

new state tourney qualifier

I was going to post this in the "Breathing Issues at the Horse Park" since it has been mentioned but didn't want to push that more off-topic.

When the KHSAA changed the state tournament from 16 to the 32 man bracket I was initially against it because I thought it took away some of the prestige of qualifying for the state tournament.  I have since come to see how it has helped our sport grow and am in favor of keeping it.  However the prestige factor, or lack of, still bothers me.  What about instead of going back, splitting all the regions in half and calling them districts?  Only the district finalists would therefore qualify for the state tournament and would be bit more of an accomplishment.  Also, these huge regions that exist on both ends of the state would be cut in half, greatly reducing travel time for regional tournaments, especially those that have to start on Friday night because of the 5 match rule.  You could still pair champs with finalists at the state tournament and would be very easy to do.  I would think the KHSAA would be open to it because their revenue would go up some, although not double.  Thoughts?

Well then the most populated regions / regio ns or most wrestling populated region would be the one or ones split or turned into a new region that said ,reg six would be split up without ? looking at the past few yrs and the reg with the most placers at state it woyld be a no Brainer .A great idea that would give SK CC and Ryle and Scott the same advantages Union X and Trinity has at state coming from weaker regions.

If you only took the top 2 from each region then you would have to have a true 2nd place.  Meaning if the 3rd placer lost to the champion and not anyone else, they would get a chance to wrestle the 2nd place finisher.  

Since you were talking about Region 6 what would happen if Ryle, SK, and CC all were in the same region?  I don't think that would fly for anyone in that region.  

SK and Ryle would most likely be in the same region.  I think that would kill the other smaller programs in that region if they never qualify a wrestler to the state tourney.  

I'm not really sure what the advantages are to doing this?  

Not living in Kentucky, but having lived there previously and hearing the pros and cons of everything involved and seeing it all first hand, I fully believe that you are battling what most businesses do.... resistance to change.  The most legitamate complaints from outside looking in are the rinky dink $2.50 cent awards for being a state champion and the use of a substandard facility for the sport of wrestling (allergies, dirt, lack of showers, lack of cleanliness).  Coming in behind on the complaints list are size and competitiveness of regions to ensure equality for the programs that have alot of good competition.  I would think that if you went to 12 Districts - top 4 or 6 qualify for Regions depending on size / historical comptetiveness of area (Big 10 gets more in tourney than does the Big 12 for NCAAs).  So your now 6 Region tourney's can be between 8 man brackets or 12 man brackets - still pulling the top 4 from each region.  Here comes the bomb - yes it would now make the state tourney a 24 man bracket (not 32).  This would cut out 112 wrestlers - 140 matches - and about 3 hours of overall wrestling if using 6 mats a little less if you had to go to 5.  Going to 5 or 6 mats would open up your choice of venues greatly at a reduced cost for facilities (I would think).  If you were getting the facility at a reduced cost, that already has internet in place, locker rooms, and ability to run a concession - you could free up more money for awards that are hard earned and deserved.  Your seating requirements would reduce due to the drop of 112 competitors.  Probably less overall income at the gate and concessions but more would buy food at a more manageable price not contracted by the venue - so may balance out some.  Just throwing out ideas to chew on, but no dog in the fight since I have moved. Just watched and observed and think you all have one thing in common and that is trying to find a positive change that impacts the only thing that should be important - the Wrestlers themselves.  

Sign in to follow this