Sign in to follow this  
the man

big and small school

Guest DAWG6
who is the top 5 schools in each big and small school teams

I asked the question along time ago of who is even in the small school catergory :?:

Does anyone know for CERTAIN how the state tournament is going to go as far as two divisions go? I mean are there going to be two champs in each weight class or will there only be one class but keep track of points as two divisions or exactly how is this going to work this year?

refdad, to my knowledge, there has not been any changes in the individual tournament. The format should be the same as last year with one state champion in each weight class.

The small school championship is only a KWCA award and is not sanctioned by the KHSAA. The small school champion and runner-up is determined by the two "Small School" teams with the highest score at the end of the tournament.

The small school teams include:

Larue County

Sheldon Clark

Wayne County

.. there are more but those are usually the main competitors. I am not sure on the criteria on being a small school team... I think you must have the equivalent amount of students of a AA football school.

There are other posts on this subject if you use the search function or browse down a couple posts you can probably find them.

O.K...So there will still only be one division as far as each weight class goes. I am just wondering what everyones opinion is on this subject. I have read a few of the posts that there is going to be some more schools starting programs this year. I know there will be a new highschool that will take kids from Ryle and Conner opening in 2008. At what number does everyone on here think we need to look at changing things as far as the state tournament , or do we need to just keep it the same no matter what the number of schools may grow to? I mean it does seem possible that in the not too near future we may reach 85 or more..I had heard the number of around 72 or 73 last year and with the addition of four or five more this year and another in two more years, that will put us around 80 schools if it stops there. What does everyone think??

I don't think we should split into different divisions. For one, our middle school wrestlers are becoming more active. The sport is growing with the younger kids.

We are about to see the state tournament be a lot more competitive in the next few years. Why should we change it? If you split you are going to miss a lot of very tough and exciting matches. Splitting the state tournament isn't going to help us grow our sport, getting more youth will.

As of now, we use a 32 man bracket. Everyone that is a descent wrestler has a shot at making state. The last thing I would like to see is our state tournament splitting into several divisions. (Kentucky is the king of Basketball and not even our basketball tournament is split into divisions. It also makes for a very exciting and prestigious tournament!)

Mathound: I agree totally that getting more youth kids involved is the biggest thing we need here to close the gap on our neighboring states, but also more programs.(high schools)I am not saying that making two divisions is what we need but I do think this would encourage more schools to start programs in the felt they may be able to be competitve in a short time. Obviously a new school would have a better chance of competing if it were two divisions. Competing against 45 is easier that competing against 75.I am just kicking this around to see what everyone thinks but I cant see keeping only one division IF we ever get to the point that we have 90 or more schools.

I don't think being able to compete is the problem with getting new high school programs. I think other than Title IX, the problem is that the athletic departments and school boards don't know or understand the sport and they are afraid to get a new team.

If you want to see the sport grow in the high school division I think you should keep the tournaments highly competitive... make the state tournament something that kids look forward to... I know that kids look at the state tournament as a goal to one day be in the spotlight in front of ALL the wrestling fans in the state.

If you want the sport to grow at the high school level, you have to educate parents, educators, change title IX, and get more kids interested. I don't think dividing the state has anything to do with any of those.

Also, you said you can't see keeping it one division with 90 schools...

California probably has over 800 teams competing in the individual state tournament with one state champion in each weight class. Yes, it can be done... :lol:

New Jersey is also one division and are usually top 3 along with California right behind PA in the senior nationals.

800 schools in one division? Holy cow. To me that would almost deter a kids that hadnt wrestled since a young age from starting. (800kids in each weight class) That being the case I would bet that most of the kids that make the podium could win state in alot of other states.All that I want is for our kids to consistanly compete with other states.Woodford Co. was our best team last year and I will bet they couldnt beat half of the schools in Ohio.It would be great to see our kids consistantly place at the senior nationals.If two divisions isnt a step in that direction then I dont want it. I am just looking at what it will take for more schools to participate.

the big schools i think will be like this

1)woodford or harrison close matchup

2)ryle

3)south oldam

4)larue

5)fern creek

Woodford and LaRue will both be small schools wont they? Or atleast that is what I have been told. Maybe this isnt accurate

LaRue will be at the the big state duals now we can stop all the talk and im glad that we aint doin tha small school deal cause i want whats best for us and whats goin to get us better.

Guest DAWG6
LaRue will be at the the big state duals now we can stop all the talk and im glad that we aint doin tha small school deal cause i want whats best for us and whats goin to get us better.

Chief, glad to hear your going to the big show as a team. Larue as alway has a strong program.

Question :?: Can a coach arbitrarily decide his team is or isn't going to the team duals "big or small" if they qualify :?:

Point: if Larue or Wayne decide to go to the big school duals and are classifed as small: does that indeed take a big school out of the opportunity :?:

And if those good small programs qualify and bump up to the big school dual, then what's the point of having small school duals then :?:

Guest DAWG6
One State Duals (at the prodding of LaRue County BTW).

Chief if LaRue is hosting the small state duals why would coach Canter go to the Big School Duals the same weekend?

Is LaRue hosting small state duals it as a fund raiser :?: HA HA :wink: