Sign in to follow this  
kdsmith27

Register now for the 2013 Central Regional Championships!

Register now for the 2013 Central Regional Championships!

Here are the event details:

2013 Central Regional Championships

Where: Lawrence North High School. 7802 Hague Rd. Indianapolis, IN

When: Friday, May 17-19, 2013

Who: Bantam (2005-2006)

Intermediate (2003-2004)

Novice (2001-2002)

Schoolboy/girl (1999-2000)

Cadet (1997-1998)

Junior (Born 9/1/1993 and after plus currently enrolled in grades 9-12)

Girls Freestyle (Born 2006 and before. University & Senior age wrestlers also welcome)

Awards for the top three (3) place winners in Freestyle Bantam and Girls. Top four (4) place winners of Intermediate, Novice, Schoolboy, Cadet, and Junior. Points for Future Olympian Rankings will be given for the top four (4) places.

All wrestlers must have an active USA Wrestling Membership in order to register. USA Wrestling does not charge for changing weight classes, even at weigh-ins, so sign up early to guarantee your spot in the event.

Event website: http://www.themat.co...t&EventID=28390

Event registration:

http://www.trackwres...roupId=59283009

Coaches,

Trying to figure out where all the motivation is to make Kentucky wrestling better. We all need to start walking the walk and get our kids more involved. Today at central Regionals we have 15 KY Wrestlers here to represent our state. Central Region consist of (Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, West Virginia, and Kentucky) I know for a fact that our Middle school champs and High School Champs can compete at this level. we do it every year. If we don't challenge our kids to learn other styles of wrestling we will never get to the next level of competition for our wrestlers. Indianapolis is 2 hours away, heck, we travel more getting to tournaments in Kentucky. Most of the kids wrestling off season in other styles are the champions in Kentucky because they know that learning the other wrestling styles will make them a better Folk Style wrestler.

As most of us learned when we started wrestling, you are going to get your butt kicked until you pay your dues on the mat and then you become a wrestler. Lets not be afraid to challenge our kids to new styles just because they will have to pay their dues. Let them learn by there mistakes like we did. It will only make them a better wrestler.

To reward the KY wrestlers that have taken the time to compete at our "Central Regional Tournament" Kentucky USA Wrestling will pay for there 2013-2014 USA Wrestling competitor card. Thanks to all that continue to support KY USA Wrestling.

Below is a short description of each style as practiced in the U.S. .

Folkstyle

Folkstyle (scholastic) is the style common to high school and college competition in the United States. As the name implies, the style was developed in the US, and is not used in international competition. Folkstyle concentrates on control, with points awarded for controlling an opponent for lengths of time longer then when under control. The wrestler on top must constantly work towards a pin while the wrestler on the bottom must continually try to escape or reverse. Folkstyle is similar to Freestyle in that for some of the time both wrestlers are on their feet and attempting to take each other to the mat in order to gain control.

Freestyle

Freestyle wrestling concentrates on attacking the entire body of the opponent. Wrestlers start on their feet, and points are accumulated by taking the opponent to the mat and exposing his back. Matches are one five minute period in the open and high school divisions, and two periods with a short break in between for younger age groups.
Since the emphasis in Freestyle is on attack and exposure, just controlling the opponent from on top with no continuous back exposure is considered a stalemate, and both wrestlers are brought to their feet after a short time in order for the bout to continue. Also, since back exposure is emphasized, a wrestler can easily score points or pin himself by exposing his own back unless he is very careful how he performs his movements.
One more very important point about both Freestyle and Greco-Roman is that there is no penalty for failed moves. if a wrestler attempts a takedown and ends up being taken down by his opponent, his opponent does not score points.

Greco-Roman

Greco-Roman is the oldest wrestling style, and very popular in some parts of the world. Like Freestyle, Greco-Roman concentrates on taking your opponent to the mat and exposing his back, but without using or attacking the legs. Points for takedowns and exposures are nearly identical between Freestyle and Greco-Roman, so long as legs are not used. Both Freestyle and Greco-Roman, in addition to Judo, are recognized Olympic sports.

My son competed freestyle(Schoolboy 105) for the first time today. He took a whipping from the Illinois State champ then lost a very close bout vs a Indiana kid. After all that he still wants to do freestyle again. He learned more today in losing both bouts that he did the last few weeks of practice. He acquired some valuable mat time/experience against some of the best kids in the region. Thanks for the reward! Much appreciated.

Also thanks to St X for offering the spring freestyle program and making the trip to coach our boys.

my son  also attended and had a great time, schoolboy 160, it was close to home and we also got to watch a lot of the high schoole wrestlers battle as well,  he is looking forward to competing again in the freestyle, its was a fun and nicely run event, we got some good  mat time in and gained some experience as well, would like  to thank trinity and st. x for reaching out and coaching and supporting them in this style as well,  some of them making the trip and bending over backwards to help and lead these fine young men. thanks as well to our Kentucky governing body for pushing us and keeping us in the loop to become better and  a better wrestling state and helping out the  boys.

Is there a way that we can start a FS/GR season immediately following Folkstyle state? Other states do this and it seems to really increase the participation in the other styles.

Right now we have a gap of a couple weeks and then start the belt series. I wonder if we had info available at the state tourney for parents and wrestlers and began a real FS/GR season, if we'd have better numbers. Maybe there's a way to transform the belt series into a season long point accumulation system for the FS/GR season.

I'm just throwing some thoughts around. What do you guys think?

BTW, my son wrestled all three styles this weekend and had a great time. The competition was very tough. He did well and learned a lot. He asked why we don't have and FS/GR tourneys in KY aside from state. We'd attend everyone!

I agree with Zaniac and SBFRAZ. This was also my Sons first Freestyle Event. Roger Jr. wrestles in the Schoolboy 120 weight class and he also went up against some strong wrestlers from Illinois. This was a great learning experience for him and made him even hungrier to go out and learn more on this style. We are already looking for more freestyle matches and I plan on bringing this back to our club in Meade Co. and make it part of our weekly practice. I see Kentucky growing in USA Wrestling but too wish more would participate within the State. I truly think the key here will need to be publicity and Team Coaches challenging their wrestlers to try different style. I know in our club alone a lot of wrestlers do not participate because too often there are not enough Wrestlers who come to the USA Tournaments’ and they think it is a waste of time to only wrestle the same person over and over. We are trying to educate these wrestlers on how valuable “MAT TIME” can be. Maybe if KY USA could provide more incentives like Tournament Shirts or yearend KY USA  Wrestling Individual/Team State Awards (Overall Point System) for those who continue to Wrestle and support the KY USA Wrestling league. This was one observation I had noticed this weekend in Indianapolis three of the Five States gave their Wrestlers Shirts at check in. That alone is an incentive for these wrestlers because they get to take the shirts back and show them off to their peers and say see what I did. I truly do think you would be surprised how participation would increase if some of these suggestions are put in place.

I agree with Zaniac and SBFRAZ. This was also my Sons first Freestyle Event. Roger Jr. wrestles in the Schoolboy 120 weight class and he also went up against some strong wrestlers from Illinois. This was a great learning experience for him and made him even hungrier to go out and learn more on this style. We are already looking for more freestyle matches and I plan on bringing this back to our club in Meade Co. and make it part of our weekly practice. I see Kentucky growing in USA Wrestling but too wish more would participate within the State. I truly think the key here will need to be publicity and Team Coaches challenging their wrestlers to try different style. I know in our club alone a lot of wrestlers do not participate because too often there are not enough Wrestlers who come to the USA Tournaments’ and they think it is a waste of time to only wrestle the same person over and over. We are trying to educate these wrestlers on how valuable “MAT TIME” can be. Maybe if KY USA could provide more incentives like Tournament Shirts or yearend KY USA  Wrestling Individual/Team State Awards (Overall Point System) for those who continue to Wrestle and support the KY USA Wrestling league. This was one observation I had noticed this weekend in Indianapolis three of the Five States gave their Wrestlers Shirts at check in. That alone is an incentive for these wrestlers because they get to take the shirts back and show them off to their peers and say see what I did. I truly do think you would be surprised how participation would increase if some of these suggestions are put in place.

Very good Ideas. I think you were reading my mind about T shirts. We will have T shirts for all wrestlers going to Central regionals next year.

Very good Ideas. I think you were reading my mind about T shirts. We will have T shirts for all wrestlers going to Central regionals next year.

Not Sure if the KY Schoolboy Team is affliated with KY USA Wrestling or not but they will be at  Indianapolis, IN

for National Duals the 5th thru the 9th of June.  Maybe we can do something specical to recongnize them as well, if it has not already been planned. This could be a starting point. We still have a long summer before us.

Ky FR/GR state tournament needs to be a week or two before central regionals, this could give time for more FR/GR tournaments. This year FR/GR state was early April, at this time to many kids are still focusing on folkstyle, traveling to Folkstyle national tournaments like Scholastic duals in Crawfordsville, IN, which was the same weekend.  This means that most of the top competitors in our state were not even able to wrestle in our FR/GR state tournament. Also the week before you had wrestlers traveling to Virgina Beach, Flo-nationals, and cedar falls, Iowa. Having the FR/GR state tournament closer to central regionals would give wrestlers time to rest (some of these wrestlers competed back to back weekends at national tournaments and get pretty banged up), compete and train for FR/GR, and would hopefully give the State a better showing at the state tournament. 

Ky FR/GR state tournament needs to be a week or two before central regionals, this could give time for more FR/GR tournaments. This year FR/GR state was early April, at this time to many kids are still focusing on folkstyle, traveling to Folkstyle national tournaments like Scholastic duals in Crawfordsville, IN, which was the same weekend.  This means that most of the top competitors in our state were not even able to wrestle in our FR/GR state tournament. Also the week before you had wrestlers traveling to Virgina Beach, Flo-nationals, and cedar falls, Iowa. Having the FR/GR state tournament closer to central regionals would give wrestlers time to rest (some of these wrestlers competed back to back weekends at national tournaments and get pretty banged up), compete and train for FR/GR, and would hopefully give the State a better showing at the state tournament. 

Thank you for the input

Not Sure if the KY Schoolboy Team is affliated with KY USA Wrestling or not but they will be at  Indianapolis, IN

for National Duals the 5th thru the 9th of June.  Maybe we can do something specical to recongnize them as well, if it has not already been planned. This could be a starting point. We still have a long summer before us.

Yes they are. KY USA Wrestling paid there team entry fee and looking forward to a good showing.

Sign in to follow this