Sign in to follow this  
CoachGilbert

Cooper Legacy

I just wanted to take a minute and congratulate the Cooper family on the end of a great run. With it all said and done, the Cooper family has produced 10 state champs (Brad 3, Kevin 3, Craig 1, Neil 1, Kyle 1, Austin 1) and 5 state runner-ups.  That's 15 times that the Cooper family has wrestled under the lights.  Not too shabby for a bunch of barefoot, bike-riding, river-swimming hillbillys.  Not only are these young men great wrestlers, but they are also great fathers, husbands, brothers, and sons.  Their hard work and faith have led them to be just all-around great people.

Thank you to Mark and Jeanne and Dan and Lisa for being outstanding parents and for all they have done for Simon Kenton wrestling, NKY wrestling, KY wrestling, and Cincinnati wrestling.  

I guess for now we watch Kevin on the big stage while we wait for Russell cousins to come up and for baby Ryder to come up and do some damage.

(I edited my post, for some reason I wrote Josh instead of Kyle initially)

• Upvote 2

I just wanted to take a minute and congratulate the Cooper family on the end of a great run. With it all said and done, the Cooper family has produced 10 state champs (Brad 3, Kevin 3, Craig 1, Neil 1, Josh 1, Austin 1) and 5 state runner-ups.  That's 15 times that the Cooper family has wrestled under the lights.  Not too shabby for a bunch of barefoot, bike-riding, river-swimming hillbillys.  Not only are these young men great wrestlers, but they are also great fathers, husbands, brothers, and sons.  Their hard work and faith have led them to be just all-around great people.

Thank you to Mark and Jeanne and Dan and Lisa for being outstanding parents and for all they have done for Simon Kenton wrestling, NKY wrestling, KY wrestling, and Cincinnati wrestling.  

I guess for now we watch Kevin on the big stage while we wait for Russell cousins to come up and for baby Ryder to come up and do some damage.

I know its just a typo, but wanted to point out that it was kyle who won a championship, and an unfortunate injury prevented josh from wrestling his senior year at state, or else i truly believe he would have added one more to that total.  I wrestled when brad and craig were the fiercest of competitors, and josh and austin were still middle schoolers.  Everyone of them were class acts and phenominal wrestlers.  One of the better wrestling families from the state ever, if not the best.  It has been fun watching them, and watching kevin throughout the years develop from a little mat-rat to a 3x'er, pretty impressive.  Wish him the best of luck in d1.

Was it a concussion that kept Josh out of state? I remember at state duals when I was wrestling a few years ago, 2 kids collided heads and one got a bad concussion which kept him out for state. Can't remember who it was tho, but he was ranked 1st or 2nd at like 171 at the time.

Was it a concussion that kept Josh out of state? I remember at state duals when I was wrestling a few years ago, 2 kids collided heads and one got a bad concussion which kept him out for state. Can't remember who it was tho, but he was ranked 1st or 2nd at like 171 at the time.
Wasn't it a knee?

Yeah I could be wrong, I got my schools mixed up. I was new to the sport at the time so all of the names didn't really stick to me at that moment. I just remember a bad head to head collision that kept someone out of state. Maybe he was an Eastern wrestler.

Josh Russo (Eastern) and Caleb Canter butted heads in the Consolation Semis in 2010.  Russo was knocked out and had to forfeit to 6th.

To stay on topic: Congrats to Kevin. Awesome way to finish your career.  Kevin is the one that put Russo in the consolations in 2010.  We actually thought he had a chance to win...he got teched lol.