Sign in to follow this  
Pinned

kentucky needs to step it up

After looking at the youth state roster I see that coaches and clubs cant seem to tell the real weight of a wrestler. This doesn't benefit your youth wrestler by wrestling him/her in a bracket that they are to big for. It hurts them more then anything! If we want Kentucky to be able to compete with other state like Ohio and Tennessee then we have to first be able to tell the truth about what a kids real weight is. Our regionals was a joke really a Joke. We need weight checks at state or its just another tournament it needs to be official more controlled if you will because it seems that coaches even at this stage (youth wrestling) can't be honest.

What region are you referring to?  Can you PM me who might be fudging their weights?  For the record, we are bringing a scale to spot check wrestlers as they receive their medals.  I'd hate to be a coach who got caught. 

completely agree  it`s not any trouble to do the weight classes in 5lb increments

Yes it is.  W/out qualifiers, we'd have some brackets of 70+ kids.  You send me a format of a state/tournament you'd prefer, and I'll run the #'s.  This was done in the fall using USA, Ohio Tournament of Champions, Indiana, and a WV tournament.  The results were ugly. 

miss understood yes you do need regional tournaments to qualifie the kids.

i would rather the weight classes be  45,50, 55,60 ect. instead of the 10% rule.

the heavier you get the bigger the difference

your going to have (cheating) on the scales the only way around that is to have a weigh in. I know with this many kids it would be nearly impossible to do the of day of the event. I will not blast any one school or club on here. My sons weight is always between 50 to 53 pounds. Myself I have no reason to lie about his weight it would only be cheating him in the long run.  Coaches that lie about a kids weight are punishing the kid in the long run just to be able to say for personal gain that they had so many kids from the club to place at state. That my friends is sorry....

If you have to qualify with set weight classes this cuts down on a lot of the scale time.  Brackets are set you have alt's. if a kid bust on weight his tournament is over.  Its not that hard.  We have kids weigh in 10 days before a tournament this is crazy.  Everyone is a winner is also a crazy way to run a State Tournament.

If you have to qualify with set weight classes this cuts down on a lot of the scale time.  Brackets are set you have alt's. if a kid bust on weight his tournament is over.  Its not that hard.  We have kids weigh in 10 days before a tournament this is crazy.  Everyone is a winner is also a crazy way to run a State Tournament.

sounds pretty simple don't it..? Know I now how some of these kids win so much...because they are wrestling kids smaller then them all the time. I agree you should have to qualify for state just like the middle and high school level because that is what these young kids are working towards.

it is crazy anyone commited to the sport doesn`t mind getting up early to do weigh ins .

it`s just part of it as for 8 man brackets i guess to many little johnnys aren`t winng enough.

it is the state tournament there should be just one winner for the weight & age groups

I agree 100% kids don't know how to lose. all youth sports are set up this way I agree it should be fun but a kid needs to learn how to lose. This is why kids give up on sports they are always winners when they get to a higher level and lose they can't handle it and they just drop out of sports. If they are serious to the sport then they have got to start learning the ins and outs of it and weigh ins are a big part of. Now I don't think at this age we should worry about a kids weight kids should not be cutting weight or anything like that but should be learning how to eat healthy and exercise.

There is always a complaint about someone's weight but I have never seen anyone at state get called out for it. If you think someone is over why not ask for a spot check before the match? Best way to stop it is to catch them in the act!!

I've never seen it happen at state, but when I've seen weight challenges throughout the season, I've never seen the kid disqualified. Even if the kid is over by a few pounds, the argument is always there - we weighed after a hard practice; he had a birthday party yesterday and ate lots of cake; he had a big breakfast. With weighing 10-14 days before a tourney, you can't fairly check weight. Kids fluctuate a lot. I've been having my son watch what he's eating and drinking the last two days because he's wrestling in the second session after breakfast and lunch. I would hate for him to be over, but at the same time, it probably doesn't matter because they would still let him wrestle. There is no guideline/cutoff for a weight check. It's not fair to either kid because the kids whose weights are listed low aren't the ones who sent in the roster; the coach did. Weigh ins at regionals and state is the only solution.

I've never seen it happen at state, but when I've seen weight challenges throughout the season, I've never seen the kid disqualified. Even if the kid is over by a few pounds, the argument is always there - we weighed after a hard practice; he had a birthday party yesterday and ate lots of cake; he had a big breakfast. With weighing 10-14 days before a tourney, you can't fairly check weight. Kids fluctuate a lot. I've been having my son watch what he's eating and drinking the last two days because he's wrestling in the second session after breakfast and lunch. I would hate for him to be over, but at the same time, it probably doesn't matter because they would still let him wrestle. There is no guideline/cutoff for a weight check. It's not fair to either kid because the kids whose weights are listed low aren't the ones who sent in the roster; the coach did. Weigh ins at regionals and state is the only solution.

Amen

I agree with the argument being there but seriously how much can these kids be packing on in 10 days? I would think it'd be hard for anybody under 100 to pack on over 5lbs in 10 days unless they're trying too. Weigh ins day of is the perfect solution but is it that bad that we need to resort to that. Last year was one of the fastest state tourney that I can remember. I would hate to lengthened it by several hours because of a coach(es) that stretch the truth. What Im getting at is proof that it is actually happening.

85mc, attend the youth meetings and convince everyone to change it.

I agree with the argument being there but seriously how much can these kids be packing on in 10 days? I would think it'd be hard for anybody under 100 to pack on over 5lbs in 10 days unless they're trying too. Weigh ins day of is the perfect solution but is it that bad that we need to resort to that. Last year was one of the fastest state tourney that I can remember. I would hate to lengthened it by several hours because of a coach(es) that stretch the truth. What Im getting at is proof that it is actually happening.

85mc, attend the youth meetings and convince everyone to change it.

I think many coaches are hesitant to ask for a weight check because the opposing coach often gets hostile and the hosting team still allows the kid to wrestle. If we are going to say weight checks are an option, then there needs to be a clear definition of what is allowed. Does the kid have to make the weight listed, one pound allowance, 2 pounds? Right now, it's very subjective. We need to have clear cut guidelines if we aren't doing weigh ins.

After looking at the youth state roster I see that coaches and clubs cant seem to tell the real weight of a wrestler. This doesn't benefit your youth wrestler by wrestling him/her in a bracket that they are to big for. It hurts them more then anything! If we want Kentucky to be able to compete with other state like Ohio and Tennessee then we have to first be able to tell the truth about what a kids real weight is. Our regionals was a joke really a Joke. We need weight checks at state or its just another tournament it needs to be official more controlled if you will because it seems that coaches even at this stage (youth wrestling) can't be honest.

Where can a copy of the youth state Rosters be seen?

Weight classes = weight cutting....this is a broken record. We should do whatever we can to prevent it at youth, regardless of what other states or tournaments do. Telling a youth kid who weighs .1 lbs over a weight that he can't wrestle will guarantee weight cutting and discourage youth kids and families from our sport. Not everyone is a winner. Almost every bracket is a full 8 man bracket. So there will be 7 "losers" in every bracket. For all of you who want qualifying tournaments, have you thought about the fact that if you do that you are virtually eliminating the possibility of having the tournament at Alltech? In my opinion, having it there the day after the high school tournament is priceless and is about the only thing that makes this tournament special. Winning a youth state tournament in Kentucky (or any state for that matter) is not and will never be prestigious. Quit acting like it should be set up like middle or high school! Some of these kids are 6 years old. Make it cool and fun and they'll keep coming back and our state will continue to grow at the youth level.

Tennessee....really?

I don't think that any kid is packing on any weight. I think that the weight is not true from the beginning. I think we as coaches are putting these kids out on the mat to compete and to learn the sport of wrestling and to be fair and honest. If you have a kid that weighs 55 pounds but you say he weighs 53 that's not fair to either kid or the sport. If the kid weighs 55 to 60 pounds and you slate him in at a lower weight and he crushes the kids in that bracket what has he learned NOTHING. It also takes away from the kids that got crushed. I hate to challenge a weight but Sunday I will challenge a kids weight because I know he weighs more then what he has been slated in at..

Sbfraz, your right there should be a clear definition of it. Probably nothing could be done for this state but this is something that could easily be fixed before 2014.

Not to change the subject but looking at the bylaws which were posted alot needs to be updated and discussed!!

Raidercoach, I agree the altech is by far the best venue our youth state has seen and qualifying would reduce the numbers greatly eliminating our chance to stay there.