Sign in to follow this  
Wrestling Dad

Johnson Central

I live in another part of the state, but Johnson Central looks like they cleaned up in Region 8, which has been Wayne County territory in recent years (Sheldon Clark years ago). 

Since I don't know much about them, are their 40+ win kids good - have they wrestled good competition in KY, Georgia and Tennessee - or have they padded records with forfeits in dual meets in Southeast Kentucky?

Not being provocative here, just looking for information.  As Mpire says, a couple of losses against excellent competition preps you for the show, so if the Johnson Central kids have gone against tough kids and have 40+ wins it looks different than if they have stayed close to home and had a lot of forfeits.

Still, they knocked heads in Region 8.

Any information?

Johnson Centrals records are in no means padded. They have won region 8 the last 5 years and wrestle in some of the best tournaments in VA and WV. Just last year had 3 kids in the finals and JJ Jude won his second consecutive state title. Not sure the exact number of placers but i think it was 5 or 6.Coach Matney has built a very productive team at Johnson Central. This will continue far into the future.

Johnson Central wrestles a pretty competitive schedule which includes many WVa, Va, and Tn tournaments. They wrestle a majority of their matches outside of eastern Kentucky. Their wrestlers' 40+ wins are not products of wrestling Pike Central and Letcher Co every weekend.

Since Matney took over Johnson Central in 2005 they have had 5 state champions.  Previous to that, in the entire history of the program, they have had only one state champ.  Besides the state champs, they have also had numerous placers, and many top 10 finishes.   Prior to his coaching stint at Johnson Central he coached Sheldon Clark to two state duel titles and two state tournament titles, along with around 16 or 17 individual state champions. Matney has truly built something from almost nothing at both SCHS and JCHS. 

I do feel that this is one of Johnson Central's weaker teams in the past 6 years though, but I think if they roll into the state tournament clicking on all cylinders then they should place in the top 10 again, and have a few placers, and one possible state champ in Sam Preston. This is a young team, with many middle schoolers, and underclassmen, so the future looks bright.

Sorry for the Matney history lesson, but rumor has it that he could possibly be my uncle, or 3rd cousin twice removed, we are still not sure.

I agree Johnson seems to have a strong program that has domminated Region 8 recently. They have had 5 state champions since 2005 that is true. My question is how many of those 5 were originally from Jonson Central and how many were not. If you are bringing kids into the program then you are not building the program from the ground up or building it from nothing. I'm not bashing the fact that kids moved into Johnson because I think parents have the right to take their kids to whatever school they want for whatever reason they want after all it is their kids. The people who complain about such things either don't have kids or have their kids at the school they prefer. Anyway, I just wanted to put things into perspective on JC 5 state champs!

I agree Johnson seems to have a strong program that has domminated Region 8 recently. They have had 5 state champions since 2005 that is true. My question is how many of those 5 were originally from Jonson Central and how many were not. If you are bringing kids into the program then you are not building the program from the ground up or building it from nothing. I'm not bashing the fact that kids moved into Johnson because I think parents have the right to take their kids to whatever school they want for whatever reason they want after all it is their kids. The people who complain about such things either don't have kids or have their kids at the school they prefer. Anyway, I just wanted to put things into perspective on JC 5 state champs!

There is one that I would consider a move-in and that would be Ryan Harlow.  Corey Spencer is a Johnson Co native, as is Zach Salyers.  JJ Jude has been in the Johnson Co school system since elementary school.  Jayce Carr was another notable wrestler, who wrestled in the Campbell Co youth program, but moved to Johnson Co, where his mother grew up.  He was there since middle school.  He has since moved, as many know.

I can't give much info on the wrestlers from Sheldon Clark, but of the 16 or 17 state champs he coached there I do not believe any of them to be move-ins.

What you're implying about Johnson Central can be said for almost every top team in Kentucky, and on a much greater scale than what it is at JCHS.

Your grasping for straws guy. Just give credit were credit is due. Regardless if your a fan of coach Matney or not (I'm not saying you are or aren't a fan of coach) you have to give the man credit. He builds programs no matter were he's at. Out of his 26 state champions one can be considered a move in. Harlow would be the only one. He works his tail off training these kids and builds champions. If you wanted to know if Johnson Central was for real or not you should've just checked put state duels this year. Everyone was just so sure Union and Moore would finish top 2 in small school. But JC did the unattainable and beat Moore pretty well if I may add to move to the finals against Union. So yes JC and coach Matney are for real.

That's why I asked the question was to get the answers. I was told that most of his champions followed him from Sheldon Clark when he went to Johnson and since I don't personally know the man or the situation the best way to get answers is to ask questions. But like I said I don't care either way because I think parents should do what they feel is best for their kids and I will always advocate that. I hope I didn't ruffle your feathers as I was in no way putting down your coach or school. On the same note I wanted to express my opinion that becominmg successful because of transferres is not the same as building a program (again I'm not saying that's the case at johnson its just a wholistic opinion).

That's why I asked the question was to get the answers. I was told that most of his champions followed him from Sheldon Clark when he went to Johnson and since I don't personally know the man or the situation the best way to get answers is to ask questions. But like I said I don't care either way because I think parents should do what they feel is best for their kids and I will always advocate that. I hope I didn't ruffle your feathers as I was in no way putting down your coach or school. On the same note I wanted to express my opinion that becominmg successful because of transferres is not the same as building a program (again I'm not saying that's the case at johnson its just a wholistic opinion).

No problem. I agree you have to take your kid were they have the best chance to succeed. That's why I take Blue to the Johnson County school system. Great academics, athletics, and coaches. Have to do what's best for your child.

No problem. I agree you have to take your kid were they have the best chance to succeed. That's why I take Blue to the Johnson County school system. Great academics, athletics, and coaches. Have to do what's best for your child.

Amen!

There is one that I would consider a move-in and that would be Ryan Harlow. Corey Spencer is a Johnson Co native, as is Zach Salyers. JJ Jude has been in the Johnson Co school system since elementary school. Jayce Carr was another notable wrestler, who wrestled in the Campbell Co youth program, but moved to Johnson Co, where his mother grew up. He was there since middle school. He has since moved, as many know.

I can't give much info on the wrestlers from Sheldon Clark, but of the 16 or 17 state champs he coached there I do not believe any of them to be move-ins.

What you're implying about Johnson Central can be said for almost every top team in Kentucky, and on a much greater scale than what it is at JCHS.

Speaking of Jayce Carr and Campell Co. When he got to Johnson Co. he wasn't good enough to place in the region. When he left he had won a middle school championship and finished third in high school state the same year. So he learned a lot under coach Matney.

Which wrestlers from Johnson Central do you think will atleast make a run to the semi-finals this year?

I expect a few to make a run at the finals and a championship not just the semifinals. Sam Preston will win a state championship. Chase Blevins, Chris Niece, and Jordan Young will all make strong runs. TJ Bowen, Josh Jude, Geordon Blanton, and Jimmy Preston are all great and will place. JC is a strong team and will cause teams problems at state.

Speaking of Jayce Carr and Campell Co. When he got to Johnson Co. he wasn't good enough to place in the region. When he left he had won a middle school championship and finished third in high school state the same year. So he learned a lot under coach Matney.

Jayce was a middle school state placer at Campbell Co.

In 2004, Jayce placed 3rd at MS state wrestling for Campbell County.

I expect a few to make a run at the finals and a championship not just the semifinals. Sam Preston will win a state championship. Chase Blevins, Chris Niece, and Jordan Young will all make strong runs. TJ Bowen, Josh Jude, Geordon Blanton, and Jimmy Preston are all great and will place. JC is a strong team and will cause teams problems at state.
Don't believe Bowen will place, Sheffer beat him 9-0 too many studs there for him.

You maybe right but I still think he places if he wrestles the way he can. Against Sheffer he did not. But Sheffer is a great wrestler who beats him more times than not but Bowen can beat anyone if he wrestles the way he can. You never know what happens until you wrestle the matches.

You maybe right but I still think he places if he wrestles the way he can. Against Sheffer he did not. But Sheffer is a great wrestler who beats him more times than not but Bowen can beat anyone if he wrestles the way he can. You never know what happens until you wrestle the matches.
Have to agree with you on that that's why we wrestle the matches! Your a jc guy so you have to have faith in your team lol. Getting past Burroughs, Scaggs, Lawson, Bindner, Roth, vega, Stephan's, or Thacker will be unlikely but anythings possible!

Have to agree with you on that that's why we wrestle the matches! Your a jc guy so you have to have faith in your team lol. Getting past

Burroughs, Scaggs, Lawson, Bindner, Roth, vega, Stephan's, or Thacker will be unlikely but anythings possible!

Blind faith is a wonderful thing...lol