Sign in to follow this  
zaniac

Brackets for 2013 MS State

We have been making corrections (names, teams) and updates as alternates are filled in.  I will post an update tonight.

And coaches were distributed a copy on the listserve.

And coaches were already distributed a copy on the listserve.

Yep. 113 is a meat grinder like I said in an earlier post. Don't sleep on Boschert, Middleton, Barrett or Gilbert either. MOW comes from this bracket unless a MAJOR upset happens somewhere else along the line.

113 is definitely loaded as this weight usually is. However I don't know if the MOW will come out of this weight class. MOW comes down to each coach’s individual opinion on the award. Typically I have always voted for the winner of the toughest weight class, not always the most competitive. Like last year I remember talking to others that the 105lb weight class was far and away the best weight class there and the winner should win MOW. There are some exceptions, I voted for Fahy his 7th and 8th grade year although his weight class was weak because everyone ran from him. Some coaches pin it on who had the most pins in least amount of time, which I believe is how they do it at a lot of national tournaments. Others put it on the best finals match, and some put it on who was least likely to win state out of all the state champions. So predicting MOW is very difficult and something I am not about to do.

How many kids in this years tournament have been in the finals in the past. Rather taking first or second place. Just like to know how many kids have made the big match?!

How many kids in this years tournament have been in the finals in the past. Rather taking first or second place. Just like to know how many kids have made the big match?!

Holub, Yenter, Moore, Roth, Wells, Kraeszig, Sheffer, Chaffee, Oxford.  That's what I recall off the top of my head.  4 returning state champs and 5 runnerups.

Haha I dig it! What is so great about Middle School state is kids will actually beg and plead with you to vote them for MOW. I think this has happened to me every year at state and it is something I look forward to, being down on the floor and having kids come up to me and say did you vote me for MOW? FYI- kids this has never worked! The only problem I have with MOW is every tournament director half way through the finals will say, "Coaches please turn in your MOW votes now" or "Coaches don't forget to turn in you MOW votes". By doing this the upper weight kids get slighty shafted. I remember Keith Lageman hating when tournaments did that because he believed at that time no one was going to vote the big guy in. I think his Senior year he only won 1 MOW and that was in Ohio. Where is the love for the upper weights?!?! ( Gramby- This is my lobbying for Colytn Kearns lol)

Why can't we just have all the coaches turn in their votes at the end of the heavyweight match and tournament directors can tally the votes then while team trophys are being handed out? MOW is always the last award out anyways.

Agree 100%.  So Cougar I will make sure we "adjust" the announcement this weekend.  We will still remind coaches, but will add they should turn them in after the heavyweight match.  Unfortunately a lot of coaches hit the road early and some turn in their ballots before the finals even start.

Haha thank you sir! Your right a lot of coaches head out early and some wont even care to watch the finals after their kid has wrestled. I will never forget the year we hosted districts that two coaches put a certain wrestler on their ballets and turned it in before the finals started. The wrestler got destroyed in the finals! Losing like 11-0 and funny thing about it he finished 2nd in the balloting by only 1 vote.

Cougar you did such a good break down on the high school thread, how about some insight on team scores for middle school. school/club scores. Who are your top 3 in each? Just curious about your thoughts.

Man you really don't want me to get any work done lol. Let me take a look at some of the regional results, district results and the draw and I will give it a shot-