Sign in to follow this  
Cbrunner

State Team predictions

I agree with everything that you wrote, but Boykin is Region 5.  It doesn't change the fact that a number 1 and 2 from another Region is going to have to wrestle someone in the top 15 170's first round.  This happened at 120 last year too, but it was worse.  Keegan North finished 4th in his region and was ranked between 5-7 in the state (I believe). I think he wrestled Keegan Duncan first round and North won.  I also believe they both placed at State.  For the record I think it goes: 1. Bauer 2. Wilbanks 3. Fultz 4. Torriente.  They will all be good matches and could end up in any order.

my bad on Boykin I knew that he was in region 5 at the time I typed that I was trying to figure out seeding for this weekends N Oldham mustang classic with Parriman, Wilbanks, Boykin,A Macintosh, Fultz, B Jones, Eric Pina, Co Portman, and Barrett thats almost as tough as the Dragon !  

Region 6 is just as tough as 4 and they do have 5

L Jones

D Turner

B Jones

J Meiman

D Hicks

do those 5 lol not easy either but thanks for reading and replying !

Let's take a look- (This is just my opinion so don't blast me for making this attempt)

106- Sheffer has an outside chance of placing and going 3-2 at state with possibly 2 wins coming in the championship rounds. Big thing for him will be his draw. Currently he is either a 1 or 2 seed coming out of his region. This compared to Krebs who will more than likely go as a 3 seed having a much tougher first round match up. Krebs is more likely to go 1-2 than 2-2. If he does go 2-2 it will be in the conso where he won’t score as many team points. Advantage UC

113- Dezember has a legitimate shot of finishing top 4 at this weight class. If he can get bonus points in the early rounds he could end up scoring UC a lot of extra points that they will need. Maggard on the other hand will likely be a 1 or 2 coming out of the region. Watching Maggard he isn't really a bonus point’s kind of kid. I see Maggard winning his first and maybe his 2nd. After that he will slip into the conso's where he has an outside chance of placing. Big Advantage UC

120-Trea Blackwell will more than likely be returning to the state finals where he should win number 2. Trea is a pinner so I look for him to score bonus points up to the finals. This is unless Adam's falls on his side of the bracket. Sparh is a good looking freshman but coming out of Region as 3 seed will make his run very difficult. He could win his first but I don’t see him advancing past the 2nd round in the Championship rounds. Falling down to the conso he could give CC some advancement points but I don't see him on the podium this year. Big Advantage UC

126- Brock Ervin! Enough said let’s move on. LOL. In all seriousness Brock should get bonus points throughout including the state finals. His points will be huge if UC wants to win a state title. Ranger doesn’t have a single CC wrestler ranked and I don't see them sending a kid out of the region. Big Advantage UC

132-Sean Fausz should finally win him a state title! He has been on a mission this year and has always been one of my favorite wrestlers to watch. Unfortunately for CC, UC has Werth and he is a formidable contender for a state title. If he and Sean end up on opposite sides of the bracket that would be a huge blow to CC, as Werth would more than likely face Sean in the finals negating about 15 points for them. Best case scenario, Werth and Fausz are on the same side of the bracket to limit UC points. Slight Advantage CC

138- Just like 132 this weight class is all about the draw. If Hamilton can be opposite Carr in the brackets then that is a huge help to CC, if he isn't then it’s a huge blow to them. If 132 has them opposite and 138 has them meeting in the semi's then CC is in legitimate trouble repeating. I think Carr wins the head to head match up. However both boys will score bonus points throughout the tournament so I go with a slight edge to UC. Slight Advantage UC

145- Gabe Ervin here is senior from the "Clutch" Ervin family. If he brings his A game he is on the podium. I see him finishing anywhere between 4-8. His points will help UC as we approach the meat and potatoes of CC lineup. CC currently doesn't have anyone here that I am aware of. I am assuming Myers will be at 152 for the state tournament. Big Advantage UC

152- Stephan Myers looks to be in prime position to win this weight class from Cooper. Myers should bonus his way to the finals. Cooper will be opposite him in the bracket. I know Lampe is out there so if he tangles with Myers, CC might not get all the bonus points they will need. However, if anyone can pin when his team needs him big time, it’s Stephan. Gahfer here should provide UC with some points. Wouldn't be surprised to see him on the podium; however I feel like he is in the 6-8 range if he makes it there. Big Advantage CC

160- Assuming Bachman is here for CC this is big advantage for them. Bachman is a senior who has been around forever. He is a top 8 kid who could be on the podium pretty high depending on his draw. UC doesn’t have much fire power here if any at all. If Bachman can win some close matches and make it to the Semi's then that would be huge for him. He should come out of Region 6 as a 1 seed helping him immensely the first couple of rounds. Big Advantage CC

170- This could get tricky, here is why. Turner is an outstanding wrestler; however he is in a meat grinder of a region. With L. Jones, Meiman, B. Jones, and D. Hicks there are 4 kids who could do very well at the state tournament. Sadly though that is not going to happen as one of them will not make it. I see Turner at best being a 3 seed. Close losses and wins against Hicks and Meimen, and I'm sure he would match up well against Lane. If he has a rough day and finishes 4 then that is bad news bears for CC. They need all of Turners points and they need them in the championship round not the conso. Another weight class where UC doesn’t have really anybody. If Turner goes as 2 or 3 seed then HUGE advantage to CC, if he doesn't or he limps in not so much of the advantage CC needs. I will go with Advantage CC

182-This could be another big one for CC. Eli Mathews has been wrestling his tail off over the last couple of weeks. I look for Mathews to place high at the state tournament. Depending on his draw he could fall anywhere between Quarters and Semi's. Don't see him as a state finalist this year but it would surprise me if he made it there. His points will be crucial to the team. I look for Mathews to enter state as 2 seed. UC has Smith who is a very solid wrestler. Don't look for him to medal this year and all of his wins outside round 1 should come in the conso's. Big Advantage CC

195-Keeton and Carter are in the same boat here. Both kids are middle of the pack wrestlers. Advantage goes to Carter though who will come from a weak region. Region 6 will be tough to finish any better than 3rd in, whereas Carter should finish 1 or 2 giving him a slightly easier draw. Both have an outside chance of placing. This will be the first one I call a wash on.

220- Austin Myers, bonus points every round moving on! Huge Advantage CC

HWT- Since i'm tired of typing and have to finish a lesson, this weight class will more than likely be a wash as well. Both kids are competitive but neither will podium in my opinion.

So the eye test favored CC big time, but now I'm 50/50. I think it will all come down to the when CC and UC wrestlers will meet up. If Carr and Hamilton meet up in the quarters that is a huge blow to CC, likewise if Werth and Sean meet up in the quarters that’s a huge blow to UC. I can't wait for the state tournament this year!

Good breakdown and great post but on the 182's Eli I think has a chance to win the whole thing jmho.. He's had very close matches with Heiro that could have gone either way

Sounds like none of the other teams need to show up.....just saying.

I don't know if any other teams can win it but teams like SK and ST X and Ryle sure could do a lot of damage. Those are just 3 off the top of my head I know's there's a lot more teams that will effect these 2 teams overall out come.

Good breakdown fanof6wrestling. You gave Union the advantage in 6 classes, Campbell the advantage in 6 classes and had a wash in 2 classes. That's exactly the point i've been making. There's not much separation between the 2 teams top to bottom.

Good breakdown fanof6wrestling. You gave Union the advantage in 6 classes, Campbell the advantage in 6 classes and had a wash in 2 classes. That's exactly the point i've been making. There's not much separation between the 2 teams top to bottom.

I just replied to the post saying it was a good breakdown. Cougar05 actually wrote it...

Let's take a look- (This is just my opinion so don't blast me for making this attempt)

106- Sheffer has an outside chance of placing and going 3-2 at state with possibly 2 wins coming in the championship rounds. Big thing for him will be his draw. Currently he is either a 1 or 2 seed coming out of his region. This compared to Krebs who will more than likely go as a 3 seed having a much tougher first round match up. Krebs is more likely to go 1-2 than 2-2. If he does go 2-2 it will be in the conso where he won’t score as many team points. Advantage UC

113- Dezember has a legitimate shot of finishing top 4 at this weight class. If he can get bonus points in the early rounds he could end up scoring UC a lot of extra points that they will need. Maggard on the other hand will likely be a 1 or 2 coming out of the region. Watching Maggard he isn't really a bonus point’s kind of kid. I see Maggard winning his first and maybe his 2nd. After that he will slip into the conso's where he has an outside chance of placing. Big Advantage UC

120-Trea Blackwell will more than likely be returning to the state finals where he should win number 2. Trea is a pinner so I look for him to score bonus points up to the finals. This is unless Adam's falls on his side of the bracket. Sparh is a good looking freshman but coming out of Region as 3 seed will make his run very difficult. He could win his first but I don’t see him advancing past the 2nd round in the Championship rounds. Falling down to the conso he could give CC some advancement points but I don't see him on the podium this year. Big Advantage UC

126- Brock Ervin! Enough said let’s move on. LOL. In all seriousness Brock should get bonus points throughout including the state finals. His points will be huge if UC wants to win a state title. Ranger doesn’t have a single CC wrestler ranked and I don't see them sending a kid out of the region. Big Advantage UC

132-Sean Fausz should finally win him a state title! He has been on a mission this year and has always been one of my favorite wrestlers to watch. Unfortunately for CC, UC has Werth and he is a formidable contender for a state title. If he and Sean end up on opposite sides of the bracket that would be a huge blow to CC, as Werth would more than likely face Sean in the finals negating about 15 points for them. Best case scenario, Werth and Fausz are on the same side of the bracket to limit UC points. Slight Advantage CC

138- Just like 132 this weight class is all about the draw. If Hamilton can be opposite Carr in the brackets then that is a huge help to CC, if he isn't then it’s a huge blow to them. If 132 has them opposite and 138 has them meeting in the semi's then CC is in legitimate trouble repeating. I think Carr wins the head to head match up. However both boys will score bonus points throughout the tournament so I go with a slight edge to UC. Slight Advantage UC

145- Gabe Ervin here is senior from the "Clutch" Ervin family. If he brings his A game he is on the podium. I see him finishing anywhere between 4-8. His points will help UC as we approach the meat and potatoes of CC lineup. CC currently doesn't have anyone here that I am aware of. I am assuming Myers will be at 152 for the state tournament. Big Advantage UC

152- Stephan Myers looks to be in prime position to win this weight class from Cooper. Myers should bonus his way to the finals. Cooper will be opposite him in the bracket. I know Lampe is out there so if he tangles with Myers, CC might not get all the bonus points they will need. However, if anyone can pin when his team needs him big time, it’s Stephan. Gahfer here should provide UC with some points. Wouldn't be surprised to see him on the podium; however I feel like he is in the 6-8 range if he makes it there. Big Advantage CC

160- Assuming Bachman is here for CC this is big advantage for them. Bachman is a senior who has been around forever. He is a top 8 kid who could be on the podium pretty high depending on his draw. UC doesn’t have much fire power here if any at all. If Bachman can win some close matches and make it to the Semi's then that would be huge for him. He should come out of Region 6 as a 1 seed helping him immensely the first couple of rounds. Big Advantage CC

170- This could get tricky, here is why. Turner is an outstanding wrestler; however he is in a meat grinder of a region. With L. Jones, Meiman, B. Jones, and D. Hicks there are 4 kids who could do very well at the state tournament. Sadly though that is not going to happen as one of them will not make it. I see Turner at best being a 3 seed. Close losses and wins against Hicks and Meimen, and I'm sure he would match up well against Lane. If he has a rough day and finishes 4 then that is bad news bears for CC. They need all of Turners points and they need them in the championship round not the conso. Another weight class where UC doesn’t have really anybody. If Turner goes as 2 or 3 seed then HUGE advantage to CC, if he doesn't or he limps in not so much of the advantage CC needs. I will go with Advantage CC

182-This could be another big one for CC. Eli Mathews has been wrestling his tail off over the last couple of weeks. I look for Mathews to place high at the state tournament. Depending on his draw he could fall anywhere between Quarters and Semi's. Don't see him as a state finalist this year but it would surprise me if he made it there. His points will be crucial to the team. I look for Mathews to enter state as 2 seed. UC has Smith who is a very solid wrestler. Don't look for him to medal this year and all of his wins outside round 1 should come in the conso's. Big Advantage CC

195-Keeton and Carter are in the same boat here. Both kids are middle of the pack wrestlers. Advantage goes to Carter though who will come from a weak region. Region 6 will be tough to finish any better than 3rd in, whereas Carter should finish 1 or 2 giving him a slightly easier draw. Both have an outside chance of placing. This will be the first one I call a wash on.

220- Austin Myers, bonus points every round moving on! Huge Advantage CC

HWT- Since i'm tired of typing and have to finish a lesson, this weight class will more than likely be a wash as well. Both kids are competitive but neither will podium in my opinion.

So the eye test favored CC big time, but now I'm 50/50. I think it will all come down to the when CC and UC wrestlers will meet up. If Carr and Hamilton meet up in the quarters that is a huge blow to CC, likewise if Werth and Sean meet up in the quarters that’s a huge blow to UC. I can't wait for the state tournament this year!

I think your maybe a little

Bit of a sort of , union Homer lol

To say CC has no one at 45 when Woods has continually improved all yr is a sr and a returning state qualifier is a but harsh , he beat some good kids this yr and WON the Hammer and Anvil , then you go to 160 and say Bachman who didn't make state last yr should do

Very well ??????? 160 has studs in French and Courtney ?? Mathews should make finals if he's on the other side of Chamberle and perhaps anyway , strange thing I have noticed about KY and the blind draw , it's not so blind

Turner if he is on the money can win if he's off he might not place , he's one of those guys but has continually became The who shows up on the money as the year progressed ,

Unions lightweights are tough but there are other tough lightweights out there . And your off on a few more things as well but it Was a good and interesting breakdown .

Mpire- Again it was just an attempt by me to line up the top two teams in the state and compare their chances. Believe me I am no Union Homer! Judging by my name and how highly I think of others around Conner i'm just a NKY homer! I am very passionate about NKY wrestling and read the paper every Sunday just to get a scope. My attempt here thou is with no bias, which I think I was successful at.

I did somehow forget about Woods and I have no clue how- He is very good and definently changes the breakdown. Because I havent him wrestle since he was in middle school or freshman year I don't know much about him. Maybe you could help with that and where he falls at 145. The eye test would probably put him around 6-10 in he won Hammer? Sound about right?

I know Bachman didn't make it to state last year because he lost his wrestle off but we both can agree he is a very good wrestler. I watched him wrestle at conference last year against Meiman and I believe the match went into overtime. He is very competitive and he won't win the dang thing but he could very well place and I expect him too or atleast win 3 matches for CC which will be very important in the team title race.

In regards to Mathews, he will be opposite Heiro and he could very well make it to the finals. However I havent seen him compete against anyone other than Heiro. Can he beat Carmen? McDaniels? Bauer? Possibly but if I was putting money down on it, one if not two of those guys will be on his side of the bracket so he will have to beat one of them to be in the finals. He can but I feel much safer saying he finishes somewhere between 3-5th at state.

And Union does have some great lightweights as do other schools. If I tried breaking down every weights class I would just release a version of the Brakeman reports lol I only compared UC and CC-

It's all good I wasn't really ragging on you. And I'm a bit lost sometimes , I went to Connor lol but there is probably about ten schools in KY that could be cougars , yes you sound about right Woods should indeed make top eight , depending on his match with Belk he goes out a 1 or 2 , and he pinned last go around , as for Eli I see your point but he has wrestled some

Good kids probably without ? A better schedule than any you mentioned and done well , including a win against a wrestler that would easily beat everyone at 182 in KY , Garret Connor , who signed with Ruetgers , he broke his rib in the match with Marhews , funny seeing Hiero ranked 1st and everyone putting Eli down around four or so when their matches are so close , Eli actually won in a lot of people's eyes at duals he had 5 that wasn't awarded to him , but it is what it is .

So looking at your breakdown then giving CC some

Points at 45 ,CC wins end of story , in the bag ,lol

And you have some

Weights wrong , of course :)

I

Hear Belk has improved and Woods looked very good at The Hammer, may be one of the better matches at reg 6 , But Chamberle / Mathews WILL be the best , Mayhews 3rd time could be the Charm at home at CC , the pressure is actually on Hiero his SR yr and on enemy territory , my dogs are barkin and ATM is pushing SAM out the Door to head to the Gym , good luck to everyone , best of luck to the lifelong srs ,Jones Canter Steph Kevin Hiero Rieric Keeton Woods and the rest .

Just finished reading the final Brakeman reports and showing some love for Kevin Cooper and both Myer brothers. Our boys up north are handing it to top kids in Ohio.

Stephan has wins over both Davis (4 @ 152 D1) and Globke (1 @160 D1)

Kevin holds a win over Davis as well. Also holds win over Kowal (9 @145 D1)

Austin pin over Boyd (2 @220 D3) and Ross kid (3 @220 D2)

I'm sure there is more but these kids were mentioned by name in the report!

Mathews also holds a win over Connor (3 @182 D1)

Some cool stuff! Mpire I know I missed some of the wins but this was just some snap shots of what I read.

Yes Heimkreiter the ross 220 was ranked lower but has moved up as I told those haters he would , he's tough , steph beat Globke twice Kowal and Schramm at gmva and Ford as well as Davis in OT all ranked kids I believe , I know Kevin beat Davis and Kowal at coaches both in OT , and Austin beat Jennings and Nye who is ranked , so yes the ky boys did well I am sure there is more who did some damage but I watched Kevin Stephen and Austin as well as the cc guys close ,

Nice of Brakeman to notice he always spoke highly of my boys good luck to him

On the other hand after beating at least one kid ranked in either state every week if not two over the last month or so , Bucksman dropped SAM off intermat , top 20 kind of sad really , Stephen will go out a 3 timer with 3 fargo AA and some

Others with more wins against top kids than over half those ranked , it's all good though , he proved what he had to this yr and every yr . Congrats to all the Ky kids who represented this yr .

my bad on Boykin I knew that he was in region 5 at the time I typed that I was trying to figure out seeding for this weekends N Oldham mustang classic with Parriman, Wilbanks, Boykin,A Macintosh, Fultz, B Jones, Eric Pina, Co Portman, and Barrett thats almost as tough as the Dragon !  

Region 6 is just as tough as 4 and they do have 5

L Jones

D Turner

B Jones

J Meiman

D Hicks

do those 5 lol not easy either but thanks for reading and replying !

I'll take a stab at Region 6. 1.Jones 2.Turner 3.Meiman 4.Jones   Should be a good one.

I'll take a stab at Region 6. 1.Jones 2.Turner 3.Meiman 4.Jones   Should be a good one.

I would agree and Hicks who may not even make it (I repeat may not)  just beat Fultz from R-4 you seem knowledgeable on the 170's how would you seed these 11 guys ? ... I'm doing my best and I'll give my seeding the way I'd do it anyway in a few hours

DJ Parriman,Eric Pina,Sam Wilbanks, Marlon Tornelli, Trevor Fultz, Sean Barrett, Brennon Boykin, Braden Jones, Zack Mitchell and Collin Portman, Alex Macintosh those 11 are all at the Mustang Saturday

I was thinking about that seeding.  It's going to be interesting (if everyone wrestles).

1. Barret

2. Parriman

3. Fultz

4. Macintosh

5. Wilbanks

6. Boykin

7. Torriente

8. Pina

9. Jones

10. Mitchell

Wilbanks is the wildcard in the seeding.  There is absolutly no way they finish in this order, but from what I know from the head-to-heads involved with these wrestlers this will probably be the seeding. 

We have the same 1-2 although I don't think Barrett will win it.. jmho but with his wins over Parriman and Macintosh you almost have to seed him 1.  I'm like you though i truly believe that 8 of these guys could win it. It's just whoever gets hot or if a few guys don't wrestle just to rest or heal up for regionals.

Yes Wilbanks is definately the wildcard because he's been out most of the season. I gave Jones a higher seed because he finished runner up there last year and I'm sure they take that into consideration. He lost to Wilbanks in the final 6-4 . Boykin finished 3rd

For this years seeds I have them as follows

1. Barrett Southern - beat A Macintosh and Parriman
2. Parriman McCreary - beat Boykin
3. Boykin Eastern beat Braden Jones and finished 3rd last year Mustang
4. Sam Wilbanks Moore Won Mustang last year
5. Braden Jones Boone Co finished runner up last year defeated Zack Mitchell
6. Trevor Fultz Trinity beat A Macintosh twice this year
7. Marlon Torrienti Seneca beat Braden Jones beat Pina lost to Zack Michell and Pina
8. Alex Macintosh Oldham County lost to fultz twice defeated Boykin and Eric Pina
9. Eric Pina defeated Torriente lost to macintosh and Torriente
10. Zack Mitchell defeated Toriente
11. Collin Portman North Oldham lost to Torriente

The head to head wins play the largest role in seeding the tournament.  Fultz has a good record and two wins over Mac so that's why I have him so high.  Boykin has 4 losses on the year and three of those guys happen to be in this tournament, so that is why I have him so low.  Like I said, there is no way they finish in the order I have them seeded. Considering the weather and some teams will be resting studs all these guys might not wrestle anyway.  Teams will be jockying for seeds at region this weekend, so if your stud has nothing to gain (seeding wise) there really is no point in wrestling him this weekend.

very true about guys sitting guess I'll find out in the early morning . I'll say you know your wrestling I can tell that. I'm impressed. I'm a Boykin fan but only 2 of those guys are in the tourney that he lost to. Parriman when he was out of gas and Macintosh. His other 2 came against Chamblee from SK and Nathan Ogg from Henry Clay and yes I knew that without looking it up lol. He's one of my favs and sleepers.

He lost to Barrett in the semis at JCTC.  He was up in the third, made a mistake and got stuck.  Chamblee was his first match of the year and it was at 182.  I'm a fan too.