Sign in to follow this  
Mpire

Best age to start wrestling .

Tiny Ranger Jr II is one of my favorite kids to watch wrestle.  He is so darned cute!  He reminds me a lot of Ryan when he was younger (and wrestling in Youth).  Good kids and amazing wrestlers! 

What age are most of the 70lb kids I know my son is in 3rd grade just turned 9. But I've noticed most are older than that by a couple years say 11. Is this accurate?
Gene... My son, Jack, is an 8 year old third grader that wrestles middle school 70 this year for Shamrock. He took home the belt in the belt series at Bantam last summer, but has only won about 50% of his MS matches this season and got 6th at region. Virtually all of the top 70 lbers are 6th grade or older. Jack hasn't been able to win against these older kids but he is getting great experience and should at least qualify for state next year, though Louisville is a tough region. He likes to keep an eye on Blue because he knows he is his grade and weight and is looking forward to the day he gets to face off against him. Should be a good match. In the mean time, wishing Blue good luck at state representing the "up and coming" of Kentucky middle school wrestling.

Yeah I've watched Jack he's a great lil wrestler. Blue was robbed at last years belt series. He pinned his way through the entire 3 tourneys but during his last match of the last tourney he pinned the kid and then after a 5 minute discussion with the opposing coach the ref said Blue used a illegal move, which he didn't. I got upset and left before I was threw out...lol. But how do you pin a kid have a 5 minute conversation with the opposing coach and reverse the call. It was pitiful.

But yeah Blue just turned 9 and is in the 3rd grade also. He wrestles the 70 lb middle school aswell. He has qualified for state the last 2 years. Didnt go last year but we are this year. But I believe were going to the summit view youth tourney Sunday after we watch the high school state duels Saturday. Or we may go to Columbus Saturday according how much it snows here. Are you guys wrestling anywhere this weekend.

Good luck to Jack rest of the year. Is he doing the belt series this year? If so they may meet there.

Gene,

I remember the match that you are talking about when Blue got his pin taken away at the belt series. I didn't see anything illegal and was surprised when they made Blue finish the match after calling the pin in his favor. He ended up losing on points didn't he?

Jack is wrestling in the MS state duals this Saturday, but nothing at Youth this Sunday for a change. He won't get to wrestle at the belt series this year or Ohio TOC (he finished 4th there last year) because he will be playing lacrosse this spring.

Mpire,

I think the best age to start wrestling depends on the kid. My 8 year old was probably ready to compete coming out of the womb, but my 7 year old is more your typical youth wrestler, not as driven or focused which will probably not come for him for many more years. I also support an earlier comment about having kids participate in more than just one sport when they are younger. They have to figure out what they like and can be passionate about. Wrestling takes more dedication and discipline than any other sport, and if the passion isn't there then they should probably try something else.

Yeah they made them go to a overtime period. Blue was so frustrated by that time he wasn't able to do anything. But still the same ref made a terrible call in the OT aswell. Called a take down while Blue was standing. No hand on the mat or anything just awful. I had to leave I was hot. They stole the belt from him.

We were suppose to be at state duals but half our middle school team wrestle high school so we didnt have enough kids to wrestle...lol.

Yeah I saw were he finished fourth he did awesome. I entered Blue but we had a big baseball tourney that weekend so we didn't go. I think Blue wouldve did well there. The kid that won Blues division was a Raike kid from WV. Blue has wrestled him twice. Beat him once and lost to him once. So maybe he would've placed pretty decently up there. But were going this year for sure.

Tell Jack we said good luck with all hisngoals in the future. If you are going to any tourneys innthe near future let me know and I'll bring Blue and we can gave our battle finally...lol.

It is all about the kid,some kids love wrestling at an early age others do not.I remember at a tournament in Jeffersonville many yrs ago my son and another young wrestler had just finished their first match.You could not have gotten my son out of that gym that day but the other wrestler got really upset because he lost or it may have scared him a little but he  cried and said he wanted to go to the Zoo(LOL) his parents did the right thing and took him to the zoo.They waited till he was more interested and now he is a very good wrestler and loves the sport.

Hahahahahahahahhaha ,

A little kid might want to quit to go to the zoo or watch power rangers or go play with a pile of poo . As a parent you have to make sure they have fun but don't just want to do fun thing all the time and that something's that are fun are hard and not so fun at other times but that there is a bigger goal an end and it will

Be fun theN

My boys spoke of quitting or not wrestling when they were young but I always made

Sure one of them was positive or wanted to wrestle , when or would say they didn't want to I would say cool and tell the other lets go I guess you get more medals this yr and I never left the house with just one of them , they would

Never let the other out do them "Hell No "

You could see it on their eyes , competition is the key , please trust me on this not every week , every day short goals to achieve long goals .