Sign in to follow this  
Eaglewrestler16

Bulid A Program?

How do you bulid a successful wrestling program. I think that it starts with the feeder middle schools. Thats why you see programs like St X, Larue, Trinity, Moore etc.. good all the time or only down for a couple of years. Also I think you have to have a commited AD. What do you guys think?

Youth program up ,the better kids start very early and are exposed to better comp tournys and practice rooms middle schools are a bit late to get serious and what some think is natural ability shown by some of the top kids is actually muscle memory someone simply doing what years of practice have led them to do automatically .

Club teams have the advantage as far as schedules an rules and are usually a bit more strict and structured .

• Upvote 1

On the coaching end would say bringing in the best coaches that can agree and agree to disagree at times having coaches who can work with different weight classes seems to help as well you need a lightweight middle and hvy coach or a big coach that is exceptional who can work with all sises . I have met 1 .And I know one HS kid that can work with any weight .

I don't know I was at a Tri between Graham Moeller and Massilon and moe had some parents but the crow was dead and that's three of the best teams in OH and a top 5 team in the nation that year . I know you are right Notfromhere but it doesn't always work that way I was expecting a crasy atmosphere tournament type setting and it wasaid back maybe everyone thought graham would crush everyone so bad they didn't bother but there were good matches sometimes the grah kids got waxed saw two future state champs battle it out and neither was from moe Stephen and Newhouse it was a great match Stephen won by a decent margin but Newhouse looked rusty and Stephen hesitant .

Either way club teams are where it's at school stuff is so controlled and club kids and parents do not play by the rules or have to worry about upsetting kida just out for a letter or upsetting mo

And dad because little Johnny puked because it was 100 + degrees no one cares about a bloody nose or an extra shove here or there .

I love club teams real ones anyway .go where you want set your own schedule wrestle the beat there is its awesome KY needs one

• Upvote 1

Well I have to agree with you there duiring state I was watching one of my sons matches and yelled out the other kid was stalling and guess what I had a Woodford parent yell at me "you shut the hell up "it was a bit shocking and one of th funniest things to ever happen to me at a tournament I guess you had to be there , not hating on a Mom at all I like her showing support for her kid but I never crossed the line at all , god love her , her kid was a decent wrestler not enough horsepower for his weight class though , I was mad at time but smiled about it later ,

You see a lot of moms / parents go bonkers at youth most seem to mellow by HS but it's good they get the support and I will try to be less vocal our next Woodford match !!!

That's funny are you ready to hear how most states start programs and build em ,

Simply start one at a private school "usually a catholic school " and recruit all the kids who are already good .

Fastest darn way I have seen it done .

Now this thread can get goin . Lol