Sign in to follow this  
Happy Pappy

Camp News

I know Cville and Cumberland should be done so what happened? Let's have some reports on who was where and how they did and if there were any good matchups. LaRue just got back from App. State where the middle school and varsity both won the team competition. The varsity was undefeated. Sheldon Clark and Moore were both there and I know some of SC's kids did pretty well. For LaRue, Evan Smith, Pat Banks and Joe Embree all took first (Banks was undefeated beating two NC state placers (3rd and 5th) from last year. Other notables, Hewitt HS was there from AL took second or third at 6A last year and is figured to possibly win it all this year. Allegheny NC also there and figures to be in the top tier in NC this year. Lotsa free-stylers from those southern schools who really have trouble when the throws don't work and they have to wrestle off the mat. Just my observation tho'. Larue had some young kids step it up throughout the tournament most noteably, Justin Thompson, Des Jakes, Justin Underwood all wrestled well. Jakes reminds me of Parker, just bigger and stronger especially when compared to Ozzie going into his Sophmore year.

Cumberland had a pretty low turnout on the first day....not sure if it got better, but the first practice had about 35-40 kids.  Couldn't tell you who was who...I remember seeing Chad Fyffe there, but I'm sure he's there as a counselor.  The good news was that the kids that did go got very much hands on coaching.  1 coach per 2 kids.....you can't ask for much better than that.  I'm not sure how the wrestling was going to add up though.

Good job to Larue representing Kentucky well at the App State camp!

From what I heard the Campbellsville Camp had wrestlers from West Virginia, Ohio, Indiana, Michigan, Tennessee, Kentucky, Missouri and Virginia. I heard the All Star duel had some good matches. Mark Jones from North Hardin and Jacob Watson from Mcreary had a really good match. Matt Eck from N. Hardin wrestled a lot of tough kids and lost to a Virginia State placer in the All Star duel. Bo Sanders from harrison and Luke Wortley from St X had a good match. Sounds like a lot of state placers were there and the other kids at camp had a good time. It looked like a lot of the college wrestlers were at camp and they wrestled with the kids a bunch. Looks like they should have a really good team. 

at cambel camp mark jones lost to watson 6-0 eck looked really good beating some college guys malcom jackson beat ashbrook and saunders by 4 or 5 points fern creek had the most tough kids there north hasrdin a close 2

Yea all the kids were very out of shape and beat up from 5 days of camp. Watson had a lot of weight on Jones but an ok match. Eck looked good, Ashbrook and Jackson match was good it looked like Ashbrook was controlling the whole match until he got caught on his back for  5 points late in the match and lost like 7-4 or something like that.Wortley and Saunders looked good, still everyone terribly out of shape but looked ok. I really dont recall what happened in the Sauders, Jackson match but something went wrong on a throw for Saunders

Isn't Ashbrook still recovering from an injury he didnt look 100%, you cant really tell anything though until the season starts on where everyone falls in the weights. I'm looking forward to following the middle weights this season, It should be very interesting.

At Campbellsville, Shotwell had to wrestle up in the 140 lb. class in the All Star match and he beat a real tough kid from Ohio in overtime.  Brownfield was also in the finals but lost.  I'm not sure how any other NKy kids did.

Guest DAWG6

At Campbellsville, Shotwell had to wrestle up in the 140 lb. class in the All Star match and he beat a real tough kid from Ohio in overtime.  Brownfield was also in the finals but lost.  I'm not sure how any other NKy kids did.

Why did Shotwell wrestle @ 140 is he that big?  :-o

Was Mat Eck higher than Stotwell, if so those guys have grown a ton in the off season. :roll: