Sign in to follow this  
Guest DAWG6

BIGGER schools vs Small bigger schools

Guest DAWG6

We complain that our wrestling state championship formula is screwed up. :roll:

We complain that having 4 kids out of our Regions going to state is out of proportion.  32 0f the 75+/- schools well under 50% make it to state of one individual state champion "JUST ONE PERSON CAN CLAIM THAT.

Please read below what a board members point of view was and he is a wrestling board member also.

Or in other words, try to please everybody. It's something you can never do, hard as you try. And it's a primary reason this plan should be filed away under "Good Intentions, Terrible Execution."

Switching to six classes could mean that 192 of the state's 221 football teams -- or 87 percent -- make the playoffs.

Allow me to share a belief about postseason play: the greater the percentage of teams allowed in, the worse the quality.

And here's another: the more champions you have in one sport, the less value that championship has.

Kentucky is not large enough to justify a six-class system. Who wants to be king of a class that has only about 37 schools?

Wrestling has ONLY ONE CHAMPION, NOT SIX

I don't know that anyone thinks our system is "screwed up", but there can always be improvements.  My three biggest issues with our very good system are:

1) having an active, cooperative coaches association - enough said there already

2) maintaining balance between the regions - I don't want to see realignments every other year, but I do think it should be reviewed every couple of years to make sure every region is competitive

3) letting the best wrestlers compete in the finals - seeding so that #1 and #2 don't meet in the quarters (this has been beat to death, and I give in on it)

Guest DAWG6

I don't know that anyone thinks our system is "screwed up", but there can always be improvements.  My three biggest issues with our very good system are:

1) having an active, cooperative coaches association - enough said there already

2) maintaining balance between the regions - I don't want to see realignments every other year, but I do think it should be reviewed every couple of years to make sure every region is competitive

3) letting the best wrestlers compete in the finals - seeding so that #1 and #2 don't meet in the quarters (this has been beat to death, and I give in on it)

Ranger I totally agree with you.  :-D

I believe our system is pretty fair and works almost all of the time. Occassional we have a situation which isn't popular or we'd would like to change.  My point may not have come across clearly. 

With past discussion of two individual wrestling champions big school or small school everyone had a concern about who was the real champion. 

Football will now have 6 champions with almost everyone school in the playoffs.  Percentage wise wrestling is find and we don't need to change the system.

As you said ranger our system is solid, maybe a couple little twicks.