Sign in to follow this  
MR NKY 3x

STATE CHAMPS WEIGHTS

Truth be told Mr.NKY.

We and I mean KHSAA wrestling. Does not have very accurate records past 1998. We have placers and state champs but not thier year in schol.

It's unfortunate but myself and others have been trying to regain that information for years now and have finally gotten all the brackets for the previous state tourneys. But those brackets don't show the wrestlers class.

Me personally, the best big man that Ive ever seen @ a young age was Livingston Merrit. Placed 6 times I believe at the State Tournament, Winning it 3x's... Wanna say he was 189 his freshman year ... placed 3rd???. Really super athletic big guy. Even as a heavy weight his senior year, he could walk around the gym on his hands, do back flips, and have the break aways speed during football season when carrying the ball as a FB.

I can also give you 2 more kids (not state champs their Fr. year but)

Taylor Shearer. 3X state champ at 215. Placed 6th his Freshman year and won 3 matches his8th grade year. All at 215.

Dion Washington. 3X state runner up. Placed 6th his Freshman year All at HWT.

Going by what it says in the Official Programs I have:

Livingstone Merrit:

92-8th -140- 5th

93-8th - 152- 4th

94-9th - 189- 3rd

95-10 - 215- 1st

96-11 - 215- 1st

97-12- Hwt- 1st

I was a Senior in 93 and in his wt class but never got to wrestle him.

145 isnt what i consider a heavier weight ,im thinking 171 up ,shooting for a big fresh champ this yr around 195 and he can do handsprings backflips run the ball out of fullback or running back pass or run out of QB position and fly through the air and snatch ducks with one hand ,wash your car and walk your dog,hell he can throw passes to himself he's so fast ,hahahahh,good luck to all the big boys this year just having fun and trying to get some info and some facts to use for inspiration ,

Thanks

145 isnt what i consider a heavier weight ,im thinking 171 up ,shooting for a big fresh champ this yr around 195 and he can do handsprings backflips run the ball out of fullback or running back pass or run out of QB position and fly through the air and snatch ducks with one hand ,wash your car and walk your dog,hell he can throw passes to himself he's so fast ,hahahahh,good luck to all the big boys this year just having fun and trying to get some info and some facts to use for inspiration ,

Thanks

Really? He can wash my car and walk my dog. He must be lightning fast.

Lightning ..... more ....of ....a rumbler kind of like a german Panzer tank with flashes of speed and movement like real lightning and of course he's # 45.

And he grew up playing up a team for one of the greatest youth teams in the country duiring the hayday of the best public school program in Ohio when Colerain was a nationally ranked powerhouse who dominated the Texas state champs ,always show respect and love to those who deserve it.

Colerain was a wonderful school with great people great football with Kerry Combs and although the wrestling progrm was not a powerhouse they did it right with great character and class ,a great place to grow up in Oh and wrestle under Gehring sorry I know its lost on everyone in Ky just giving props .I graduated from Highlands and went everywhere in N KY almost ,no wrestling at a school like highlands seems insane to me after being in OH .maybe not the cakeeaters cup of tea lol.

Lightning ..... more ....of ....a rumbler kind of like a german Panzer tank with flashes of speed and movement like real lightning and of course he's # 45.

And he grew up playing up a team for one of the greatest youth teams in the country duiring the hayday of the best public school program in Ohio when Colerain was a nationally ranked powerhouse who dominated the Texas state champs ,always show respect and love to those who deserve it.

Colerain was a wonderful school with great people great football with Kerry Combs and although the wrestling progrm was not a powerhouse they did it right with great character and class ,a great place to grow up in Oh and wrestle under Gehring sorry I know its lost on everyone in Ky just giving props .I graduated from Highlands and went everywhere in N KY almost ,no wrestling at a school like highlands seems insane to me after being in OH .maybe not the cakeeaters cup of tea lol.

What are you talking about? You went from German Panzer tanks to cakeaters and cups of tea. Meanwhile, I am still trying to figure out what you are saying.

SMH,,, That’s all I can do these days when logging on and reading some of these threads.. Well at least since were lucky enough to have the unstoppable Gods of Wrestling relocate.. I feel so blessed. SMFH

SMH,,, That’s all I can do these days when logging on and reading some of these threads.. Well at least since were lucky enough to have the unstoppable Gods of Wrestling relocate.. I feel so blessed. SMFH

Mark Hall was better than either of them as a seventh grader. Granted he wrestled Myron Bradbury, who was also good, but if he couldn't win state here, then there is a strong chance that they won't win either. Nobody is unstoppable. I agree with you though 100%. We are extremely lucky to have these Norse gods here to show us how to wrestle. :D

HAHAH MARK is a great wrestler and he did beat Stephen in 3 ot his first tournament back after his miniscus tear when stephen wrestled up before the season last yr ,Make no mistake Hall is better than anyone in KY .....including anyone at Trinity and he and my sons are great friends and teammates on occasion.as for my post i simply got carried away and gave some props to a good school in OH ...sorry for that i guess.

Warped people talking about a seventh grader losing to an upperclassmen then trying to claim how tough someone is ....IM lost here .

If you want an idea of how good someone is Stephen beat one of your State champs at SWOWCA 14 -1 and that was a gift ; it was a pin or a tech the officials and the SWOWCA staff simply didnt want an unseeded wrestler demolishing the # 1 seed and making their seeding system look ridiculous , and no one else finished a match with him that yr same goes for last and still he cant win an OW there ,political bs pin and tech everyone and have state champs run from you only to lose and still not get OW .

Same can be said for OHs CIT teched state placers and pinned in finals and no OW... politics ,good thing is... no amount of politics' trash talking 'or wishful thinking can change a match ....only a dirty official can do that .OH sorry im ranting

And the Freshman Norse god is about to break every state powerlifting record in KY before he becomes an upperclassmen if not sooner ....

Difference between my Norse GOD and all the rest my Norse god will go D1 in 2 sports and laughs at all the silly comments about kids he would demolish not because he is bigger but because he trains to be bigger faster stronger ,Kids dieting their whole lives to become superstars in High school partially because of sise advantages due to unhealthy dieting thats so severe you miss tournaments arent really that impressive ,making yourself an athlete that can perform at any given time in various sports because he doesnt have to starve and use yrs of dieting tactics to win is impressive to most.

Please when trying to throw names out as examples of someones greatness try to use a win against someone other than a seventh grader it kind of has the opposite effect my boys are not seventh graders not 112lbers and if Bradbury wants to wrestle either of them you wont be so smug name dropping for long .

As for luck too bad Mark left but My boys are actual KY kids and aren't half bad themselves ,didnt you hear Mark may be coming to Grant as well :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

That was fun ,and it does seem strange big Schools like Highlands not having wrestling programs when those around them do perhaps its a football thing.Looking forward to seeing some of the big boys in KY this year i have seen so many talented lighter weights from all over but the big guys that can even shoot are rare the lighter weights at some major tournaments are so tough and close the same kids can change spots on the podiums dramatically from week to week in the upper weights even at the big tournys the top heavies seem to always be at or near the top .

HAHAH MARK is a great wrestler and he did beat Stephen in 3 ot his first tournament back after his miniscus tear when stephen wrestled up before the season last yr ,Make no mistake Hall is better than anyone in KY .....including anyone at Trinity and he and my sons are great friends and teammates on occasion.as for my post i simply got carried away and gave some props to a good school in OH ...sorry for that i guess.

Warped people talking about a seventh grader losing to an upperclassmen then trying to claim how tough someone is ....IM lost here .

If you want an idea of how good someone is Stephen beat one of your State champs at SWOWCA 14 -1 and that was a gift ; it was a pin or a tech the officials and the SWOWCA staff simply didnt want an unseeded wrestler demolishing the # 1 seed and making their seeding system look ridiculous , and no one else finished a match with him that yr same goes for last and still he cant win an OW there ,political bs pin and tech everyone and have state champs run from you only to lose and still not get OW .

Same can be said for OHs CIT teched state placers and pinned in finals and no OW... politics ,good thing is... no amount of politics' trash talking 'or wishful thinking can change a match ....only a dirty official can do that .OH sorry im ranting

And the Freshman Norse god is about to break every state powerlifting record in KY before he becomes an upperclassmen if not sooner ....

Difference between my Norse GOD and all the rest my Norse god will go D1 in 2 sports and laughs at all the silly comments about kids he would demolish not because he is bigger but because he trains to be bigger faster stronger ,Kids dieting their whole lives to become superstars in High school partially because of sise advantages due to unhealthy dieting thats so severe you miss tournaments arent really that impressive ,making yourself an athlete that can perform at any given time in various sports because he doesnt have to starve and use yrs of dieting tactics to win is impressive to most.

Please when trying to throw names out as examples of someones greatness try to use a win against someone other than a seventh grader it kind of has the opposite effect my boys are not seventh graders not 112lbers and if Bradbury wants to wrestle either of them you wont be so smug name dropping for long .

As for luck too bad Mark left but My boys are actual KY kids and aren't half bad themselves ,didnt you hear Mark may be coming to Grant as well :rolleyes:

I was only saying that Mark Hall was good, maybe better than your kids (as you obviously indicated that he beat stephen). He did not win state here. I was just stating that they are not unbeatable, and there is a strong possibility that either of them could lose. I was just using Hall and Bradbury as an example of another out of state kid who had a lot of hype surrounding him but failed to live up to it. There are still some strong KY competitors that will give both of your boys good matches that will be exciting to watch.

And I was just stating ,Hall and my son were not the same weight that yr or last duiring the season and a match going to 3 ots your first tournament back after an injury against a stud wrestling up a weight isn't so bad and a pretty good indicationof how good you are. Stephen lost another match that day to a mich state pl and beat an Oh state placer and some others as well,so what ,as I said he was wrestling 131 lb class and his last.tourn before that he. Had been 112 ,not that it matters or that you understand the concept of pushing yourself .haha didn't see any of the kids you named drop at that tourny except Hall .

I think you keep missing the part where I said my boys are actually from Ky .as in they we're born here ,lived here and even went to. School here before moving to OH and lived here later as well ,both were folkstyle as well as free style and greco ky state champs in grade school ,so they are not like other "out of state transfers "you keep talking about and there are a few state champs in Ky who were transfers born out of state I could name, one multiple x champ in particular I could mention .and these champs came for wrestling .

It goes without saying both and anyone can be beaten one is in a very tough weight and the other is a fresh and may have a tough opponent or two, every good kid in the country can and has been beaten before if they push themselves and do not hide ,using a seventh grader from out of state losing to an upprerclassmen as an example is ridiculous to say the least...and oh yeah ...everyone knows Mark should have went 112 that yr particularly with KY rules but went up so someone could have a spot on Ryles Team.

I know a little about the sport and the better kids in it as well,and my kids are probably better known in some of the other states and people in them than by you or many in KY because of the calibre of comp and national level kids they have wrestled against from those states.

Just saying I know a little and your comparison and remarks are meaningless if not counterproductive to what you are trying to claim.

Win state or not a kids record speaks for itsself and neither of my sons will wrestle anyone from ky with one like theirs and no one from Ky has a record like Halls ,few in the country do.

And don't fool yourself the best wrestler in KY on paper or otherwise is a Freshman at Grant cty regardless of how he ends up this yr at state he will be the most dominant wrestler ever in Ky before he is done and it will be way sooner than that and it doesn't matter who likes it if you like him or me or if you call him transfer out of state kid Norse god or whatever,and you can call Mark Hall and ask him and he will laugh as he says you better believe it,

My writing is terrible and I am an obnoxious rambling bragger but I have never claimed anything that wasn't fact or my boys did not make come true,believing is the first step to achieving and there is going to be some jaws dropping just a few miles south of where i am sitting at this moment at the state tournament hopefully there is a big freshman standing on top of a podium and I think there will be ,regardless he is about to set the bar higher than anyone before him.

The weight rules are different in KY than OH from what i was told you do not have to make scratch in KY you get the 2 after xmas or something like that ,in OH you have to make scratch in order to get the 2 lb allowance or any ,I may be wrong of course because i am new to KY HS rules ,and as for the amount of tournys OH has a points system KY has so many weigh ins allowed ,and that means the less duals the better the more tournys the better.Once again i may be wrong and more than likely as usual someone has told me wrong either way i think the scratch weight is differentin KY.

Not a big issue with us i doubt my boys cut very much if any this year .

If i was told right then KY should have a whole lot of tournaments so kids can get more matches and duals would become very rare.

Yes you are correct. Ky uses the skinfold tests and weight decent plan by NWF. Therefore as long as you are allowed to lose the wieght then you can wait until after christmas to recieve the 2 lbs and never make scratch.

As for more tourneys than duals. That would be incorrect. In a tourney you may only get 2 mathces. If you have a 5 way dual then all of your team gets 5 matches that day instead of some of them only getting 2. Even the champion only gets 2 or 3 depending if he gets a bye in the 1st round.

Ok so I was told correctly about the weights but I'm still lost on the way the point or weigh inn system works as far as tournaments and matches allowed go ,just looking for how to get the most matches ,if a tournament counts as 1 weigh inn wouldn't that give you more matches in a large tournament 5 or more for a champ more for a wrestle back wrestler?eiher way it looks like the 5 match duals would be just as good .Thanks grappler you are very informative

Ok so I was told correctly about the weights but I'm still lost on the way the point or weigh inn system works as far as tournaments and matches allowed go ,just looking for how to get the most matches ,if a tournament counts as 1 weigh inn wouldn't that give you more matches in a large tournament 5 or more for a champ more for a wrestle back wrestler?eiher way it looks like the 5 match duals would be just as good .Thanks grappler you are very informative

KY allows you to have 17 events.

there is no difference between a wednesday single dual or a 2 day 32 man bracket tourney. They both are considered one event each.

What may be the best for a team like Grant Co. With a couple of experienced kids and other kids that are not experienced is a 16 team Pool Dual tourney.

That way every kid on your team will get 5 matches. (Unless there are forfiets)

Your better kids can get tougher mathches while in the pools of 4. When the teams are divided into all the 1st 2nd 3rd and 4th place teams in the dual. The less experienced teams will be in the 4th place pool and wrestle a 4 man bracket.

It's the best of both worlds.

Awesome ,that may explain why there are not that many two team duals ,or as much as people are saying there used to be ,forfeits stink ,i will be looking into the KY rules for them and bumping kids up for matches as well ,all interesting stuff ,thanks Grappler you are an excellent moderator