overtimeking

wrestlers that wont cut weight jw

is there lazy pepole on every team that wont cut weight to help the team out we have a bunch of pepole at the heavier weight and how the team does as a whole depends on one guy becase he can take what ever weigh he wants but wont cut to 89

It's not a good idea to cut weight unless you truly need to. Floating a few pounds is very different from cutting weight. Alot of these young wrestlers are still growing and cutting drastic amounts of weight can stunt their growth. Believe me, I understand being a team player, however the wrestler and his coach need to be informed about skeletal maturity before making the decision to cut a large amount of weight.

some kids dont lose weight to help their team while others do, it works both ways i know wrestlers that wrestle up a weight class when they should be at the one lower in order to help their team out

Rebelyell:

I agree that young wrestlers should not focus a lot of their energy on loosing a lot of weight.

However: Wrestling has set in motion the skinfold testing. This shows a wrestler the lowest wt. class they can compete at and be safe medically.

Jr.'s and Sr's should look at this skinfold and be close to where this tells them. (Heavier wt. classes not as much). This shows dedication to the sport and gives them more investment in thier training.

I do however think that some of these wrestlers have went to far, but not as much as in the past.

grappler:

I agree with you totally. One of the main reasons I'm such a huge wrestling fan is because if you don't "invest", you have no one to blame but yourself. I think wrestling teaches dedication, self-reliance and discipline beyond any other sport. I just hate to see the young wrestlers who still have a lot of growing to do cut drastic amounts of weight. This stunts growth and causes growth plates to close prematurely. You can tell which ones cut too much weight - they have sticks for legs and bony knees with cut upper bodies. But you're right, except for a couple of cases things have improved greatly. Remember the days when the wrestlers would run in multiple layers of winter clothing or garbage bags to sweat off extreme amounts of weight? Crazy!

Good point about the skinfold test. Kudos to KHSAA for instituting the skinfold and urine tests and watching out for our kids.

I remember those days well. Running in the showers with a plastic suit. standing on your head next to the scale (of course now they are digital and this won't work) Leaning on the scale.

Geesh we/I sure were dumb.

I think it is an awsome move to have skinfold and doctors responsible for the wrestlers weight loss. I do however think some are hedging this rule.

Dropping that football weight is usually a good thing.

Well i am not encouraging weight cutting for no one, BUT it helps you in many ways .I aint saying cutting 20 pounds helps either. But cutting weight gets you in better shape Wrestling shape. Every good wrestler cuts weight i dont care what any one of them says, i'm in college and i see it every day kids cut from 145 to 25 and win National championships. Cut from 170 down to 149 its is just wrestling for those who really tak eit serious. Its part of it , it takes hard work to be good at wrestling a cutting weight does help.

As far as the skinfold test there are ways around that just look at Chaffin at 119 in 2003. or slappy at 112 in 2002. Tate Creek kid at 103 there are ways around this and everyone knows this to.

I believer every wrestler should haver to cut some wiehgt to help their cardio, and it does help.

and i do believe that cutting wieght and filling weight classes help the team in a great way just for those that know look at Mater Dei indiana a great team but all their kids at ripped from head to toe and look as if they should wrestle 2 or 3 weight classes above what they are. If any body remembers Blake Murur and Knable match blake was huge copared to him and dominated him also.