Sign in to follow this  
Indians40

Question about Autism and Wrestling

We have a young wrestler in our program now that has Autism.  I will be honest and say that I do not know much about it.  I am looking for any information that may help me to be a better coach for this young man.

a friend of mine has a son who wrestles in Georgia.  the son has autism and is doing fine with the sport.  this year was his second year and he finished with a winning record.  the team has not had to do anything special for the boy in order to accommodate him.

Elkhorn had a kid who started the year that had mild Autism.  He did not last the year, but that had to do with other issues, not the Autism.  The coaches may be able to assist you more than me, but I did not see any special issues.  Conditioning seemed to be harder for him, but he was very overweight coming in.

From a legal perspective, make sure you document every accomedation you make due to the Americans with Disabilities Act.  Communication with the parents is the key to avoiding any problems.  Since autistic kids tend to have different learning styles, you may have to spend more time explaining than you usually do.  Other than that, there is no reason he can't wrestle.