Guest DAWG6

why rankings DON'T mean a thing, other than ego's

Guest DAWG6

Allamerican125 wrote:

I think the quality of wrestling will be down next year in the upper weights with a lot of the graduating seniors out.

Dawg wrote:

Everyone always says that about all the weight classes; but, some young guns comes along and surprizes everyone.

Their are plenty of quality young wrestlers in the system just waiting for the opportunity. Someone has to be a senior

grapplin fan wrote:

You are absolutely 100% right. I totally disagree with the guys i wrestled with long ago who think everyone was better back when they wrestled. What are the odds ?

Look at this season, pick any weigh class and see if the top 8 of rangers picks or coach Coomes even made it to the medal round:

State Finals 119

1st Daniel Murner 12 South Oldham

2nd Tyler Voth 11 Paul Dunbar

3rd Issac Ervin 9 Union County

4th John Chiu 11 Seneca

5th Byran Daniels 10 Wayne County

6th Cliff Cornett 11 Henry Clay

7th Clayton Stocker 12 Anderson County

8th Caleb Wood 11 Fern Creek

KHSAA rankings Bold didn't medal

1. Tyler Voth Dunbar 11

2. Caleb Wood Fern Creek 11

3. Daniel Murner South Oldham Co 12

4. Eric Warner Oldham Co 12

5. Darwin Perez Larue Co 11

6. John Smith Woodford Co 12

7. Justin Pitcher John Hardin 10

8. John Chiu Seneca 10

9. Nick Norwood St Xavier 11

10. Isaac Ervin Union Co 9

11. Clayton Stocker Anderson Co 12

12. Bryan Daniels Wayne Co 10

13. Dusty Brown Simon Kenton 9

14. Kendrick Jones Ballard 11

Rangers: Bold didn't medal

1. PD Tyler Voth 11

2. FC Caleb Wood 11

3. SO Daniel Murner 12

4. Un Co Isaac Ervin

5. Lar Co Darwin Perez 11

6. Wood Co John Smith 12

7. Old Co Eric Warner 12

8. JH Justin Pitcher 10

9. Sen John Chui 11

10. And Co Clayton Stocker 12

11. Way Co Bryan Daniels 10

12. Cald Co Tanner Leach 12

13. St X Nick Norwood 11

14. PRP Corey Mills 10

15. JC Ryan Greene

16. Hop Brian Toliver 12

17. CH Ross Engle 10

18. Mc Cen Derek Corder 10

19. Bal Kendrick Jones 11

20. HC Cliff Cornett 11

21. Laf Nathan Speck

22. SK Dusty Brown 9

23. Cam Co Taion Deinlein 10

24. Bou Co JP Rivera 9

25. Sou Wes Corbin 12

26. Scott Ethan Miller

27. NH John King 11

28. Tri Kenny Watkins 10

29. Whit Co Joey Caddell

That's why we wrestle the match :twisted:

rankings help the people who are ranked high. some people that go up against top ranked wrestlers are inteminated so they dont do as well as they are supposed to.

Guest DAWG6
rankings help the people who are ranked high. some people that go up against top ranked wrestlers are inteminated so they dont do as well as they are supposed to.

It didn't intimidate number 20. HC Cliff Cornett 11 :wink:

Won Ryan Greene Johnson Central M-Dec 16-3

Won Corey Mills Pleasure Ridge Park M-Dec 12-4 ranked- 14

Won John Chiu Seneca Dec 6-5 ranked 8th and 9th (both polls)

As I have said a few times, I aree that they don't mean a lot, but if you look overall, I think there is some merit in what was posted. Okay, so 119 may not have been perfect, as no weight class will ever be, but look at 135 or 171 where my top 8 got medals. Or 112, 125, 145, 160, and 189 where 7 of the top 8 got medals. You still wrestle the matches, but that is half of the weights that I was pretty close on.

Guest DAWG6
As I have said a few times' date=' I aree that they don't mean a lot, but if you look overall, I think there is some merit in what was posted. Okay, so 119 may not have been perfect, as no weight class will ever be, but look at 135 or 171 where my top 8 got medals. Or 112, 125, 145, 160, and 189 where 7 of the top 8 got medals. You still wrestle the matches, but that is half of the weights that I was pretty close on.[/quote']

The rankings are great to talk about.

But, when it comes to on the MAT they don't mean a think

Ranger, you have done a great job posting ranking of the top kids, and I am not impling you should stop. With out them none of us would even be on the site.

Its like playing the lottery, if you can pick the top eight right. top 1-4th and bottom 5th -8th.

the rankings can mean different things to different wrestlers some it doesnt mean nothing others make them feel like a better wrestler and it can motivate them others it makes them get a big head and when they lose its like the end of the world

I would have to say from a coaching aspect that I don't particularly like the rankings. Most of the top wrestlers may not be affected by the rankings but many of the others get obsessed with the rankings.

All they worry about is the rankings and where they are ranked or why they are not ranked. They focus so much time on this that they don't do what they need to mentally to improve themselves.

From a fan aspect I think it may be the greatest thing. Parents love to see their kids name in print, and recieve some recognision.

I'm not sure about the wrestler's aspect. We did not have rankings when I wrestled we just went out there and wrestled whoever was on the mat with us. Many times after the match the coach or someone from another team would say "hey you just beat the kid who placed 3rd last year at state". We would say really whats his name, then forget his name next week.

You know what they say Ignorace is bliss, I was very blissful during my high school career.