Sign in to follow this  
refdad

SCRATCH WEIGHT

can anyone confirm the rule this year as far as weight is concern? Does a kid have to make "scratch weight" one time to wrestle that weight for dist/region/state with the 2lb growth allowance? Or, can a kid wrestle a higher weight to allow a newer kid to compete at (just an example) lets say 103 while the better kid wrestles 110 weighing 105, or so then for dist/region/state weigh in at 105 and compete at 103?

It was my understanding at the state coaches meeting that a scratch weight had been eliminated. Don't take that to the bank or anything, but I'm pretty sure that's what we voted.

Can someone explain this to me?

Why is it in Middle school wrestling there is no body fat testing?

If we are so concerned with high school wrestlers making weight correctly shouldn't we be even more concerned about middle schoolers?  I have seen some middle school kids that look as if they have missed several meals. 

These kids are not only younger and less mature than the high schoolers.  They are also going through major growth spurts during these years.

I ask this question kind of tongue in cheek because I know the answer is because Middle school does not follow KHSAA rules.  My true question is WHY NOT?

G-Of-Old, I agree completely that weight should be regulated just as strictly in youth and middle school as it is in high school but I don't see that happening. One reason, lack of knowledge would further complicate the situation for newer kids/parents. A lot of youth and middle school are not very experienced but are the only ones willing to devoted the time. Also what expense is involved with the body fat test to each program? I just don't know the answerers to several questions but I agree that weight needs to be regulated at this level as well.