Sign in to follow this  
MagicBone

M.S. State Tournament last season!

I dont really like looking into the past,but it was my 1st time coaching at the kentucky middle school state tournaments but,I was curious if what I saw is what happens every year at the state tournament.

I was all over the place and everywhere I went their was some things that kept me in shock

Parents wanting to fight coaches and referees

Coaches going insane on the mat after their kid loses

One or 2 refs in particular losing his patience with kids so bad he even starts taking off points on every kid and every team so far as in doing the same when the kid has an emotional moment and cheers for his victory,I could remember that one that took points away from our team just for RESPECTIVELY asking a question

I'd like to keep going but that want help the situation,but what could we do better this year to make sure this isnt  UFC FIGHT!

it was put on VERY WELL AND RAN VERY WELL,I'm not for that forfeit and 5match rule i.g. flipping a coin YOUR THE WINNER option not competitive but also not in my control

I hope this upcoming season is a new age and a new beginning

This was my second MS state tourney, and last (My son is now in high school) probably for a long time.

I saw many of the same things.  I have brought it up to some of the high school coaches.  I'm not sure if i was one of these coaches, (it is hard when your own son is wrestling to keep cool) but I try to keep it under control at all times. 

The one recommendation I made was to educate our middle school coaches.  Many of them are excellent technical coaches.  However many of them are also young.  We all went through the stage of being young and stupid, (to be more accurate inexperienced and excitable).  Young coaches get their adrenaline pumping much faster than us old guys.  I think that all middle school coaches should go to the rules interpretation meetings at the beginning of the year.  I've attended these things for over 20 years, and believe they can be beneficial to our young coaches.

I know in Nky we also have a coaches meeting afterwards.  This can allow the middle school coaches to address the high school coaches with concerns and vice versa.

Parents are another animal all together.  The middle school coaches are the ones who need to educate and try and control the parents.  This is again difficult because of the coaches being young themselves, and in most cases younger than the parents. An old experienced coach usually has an easier time of calming a parent than a young coach. 

Just a couple of suggestions to get the ball rolling.

i dont know,I was a young coach and the head coach has way more experienced on the mats and I learned alot with him as he showed me the ropes,BUT  he was worse then I was on the mats controlling his self,and alot more, he even carried that manual around reading it to the refs as theyd take points from us for it

is it really based on young coaches?

its kinda hard to decide,I didnt see all these things happen in the hs tournament then or after

maybe its just the learning base kinda like you have to be hit hard before it gets easy