Sign in to follow this  
thomam

MORE PARTICIPATION WITH FIGHT/BOARD SHORTS AND RASHGUARDS?

I am not an MMA expert by no means, but I have seen several matches (my son likes it). 

From what I have seen there are very few if any body holds, except the occasional throw from the feet. 

Most of the holds are on the extremities looking form submission, much like Sombo.  Therefore very little chance of fingers getting tangled in shorts or shorts being pulled down. 

Try a Spladdle with shorts on.  if you have the wrong undergarment there could be some major proplems with things being exposed :-o, same with bannana split.

I love wearing my singlet but I'm built like a God and I can also really fill out the groin area.  I wish they would let me wear the thing to school everyday, give the ladies something to dream about. 

I am not an MMA expert by no means, but I have seen several matches (my son likes it). 

From what I have seen there are very few if any body holds, except the occasional throw from the feet. 

Most of the holds are on the extremities looking form submission, much like Sombo.  Therefore very little chance of fingers getting tangled in shorts or shorts being pulled down. 

Try a Spladdle with shorts on.  if you have the wrong undergarment there could be some major proplems with things being exposed :-o, same with bannana split.

Haha funny you mention it. The first ever spladle in the UFC was at the beginning of summer in a fight between Joe Stevenson and Nate Diaz. All of my buddies except me were confused when Stevenson rolled Diaz into a spladle and then began punching his unguarded face while still applying the spladle. It was a funny sight!

Same here.  Our first year with the youth program at Conner we had our first dual meet and our singlets showed up the day of the match.  I had to get to the gym and hand out singlets before our first match.  Probably 95% of these youth wrestlers had never seen a singlet.  I did not expect the reaction I got.  But probably 5-10 kids were in tears.  Maybe it was a chain reaction but the kids did not want to put on this singlet and go wrestle in front of a crowded gym.  I'm not saying I'm in favor of the MMA uniforms but I have seen kids get upset over the "required uniform".

Pioneer-----just wanted to make sure you knew somebody got your Breakfast Club reference.  Nice work!! 

I think it's funny how we worry so much about skin disease transfer while the kids are "officially" on the mat----but then you see them after practice, after tournaments, in the basement, backyard, garage, etc. going at it with no shirt and just a pair of shorts and nobody says a word.  Point being, kids just want to be kids and if the singlet is truly keeping them away then there has to be some alternative.  I hear the broken finger argument, but I've seen a ton of bloody noses/mouths/lips but have never seen a broken finger in practice or matches, so does this mean we should put faceguards on them?  I've only been involved in youth wrestling for two years (and only as a parent), but I say if it gets the kids to wrestle, let them wear whatever they want.  Want to wear a singlet?  Great.  Want to wear the MMA gear with or without shirt----hey, if you have the guts and the body to go shirtless, more power to you.  Our goal as parents, coaches, and administrators should be to get as many kids involved as possible, not find ways to keep them out.  We practice four nights a week in t-shirts and shorts and I've never seen a clothing related injury.  So, to say that a singlet is the only way to go, when the wrestlers are not wearing them 4 out of 5 days a week (four days of practice, one day of matches), is ludicrous.

I have to agree with archibald humperdink the rash guard and board shorts are safe and they protect against skin conditions.  And lets face it it would increase the participation.  No KY cant just change the rule themselves but cant we get something rolling with this matter.  I just want what is best for the sport and the kids.  That seams to make sense.  What is the reason the rest of the nation would disagree.  Couldn't be due to fingers getting caught in the short(never happened in 10 plus years) nor could it be due to exposure during a banana split or Spladle because of all the under armor products and nylon type undergarments out there now to protect from over exposure.  I guess kinda like the girdle that a football player uses to hold the thigh pads and hip pad in place. Just thoughts I would love to see this change.  Who do we need to talk to so that we could at least plead a case???