bluegrassbrawler

Best wrestler never to win a state championship?

There are several names that come to mind who I feel need to be in this list.

Marc Barrett of Campbell County

Dave Fuehner of Simon Kenton 2X State Runner Up

Cliff Woods of Simon Kenton

John Roth of Simon Kenton, he was ranked 1st all year his senior year, he beat Pat Martz of Conner 4 out of the 5 times he wrestled him.

Mike Bankemper of Campbell County

Danny Barnes of Simon Kenton

Gary Alphin of Simon Kenton

biased much?

My vote would have to go for Andrew Tinsley from Caldwell County. He would have walked through state a few times, if it wasn't for arguably one of the best wrestlers in the history of Kentucky wrestling, Joe Car. I remember watching the match in Hopkinsville when Car was a junior, and Tinsley put him on his back, and the had a dogfight the rest of the way. Then, at state that year, Joe caught him and stuck him in the finals.

A few others from that end of the state around that time, Josh Walls from Union, he ran into a stacked 152 that year, and Anthony Smith from Christian County is a good argument, and one I haven't seen yet, is Luke Pniewski, 2x runner up, and choked in the finals his senior year. He had several battles with George King from Union the year before.

Luke Pniewski???  hehe... Luke was a good guy and made it his Junior year only because they put King and William Randle in the same side ( wich was a better match than the finals if I remember) but He probably should have won it at some point... He wrestled for many years, as did the Bruce's, Diaz, and Reco Merritt... but all fell short.  That reminds me of TJ Iverson.. He  acctualy beat Tendi one year during the season but fell short at state as well. Think he lost in the Semis to a Sheldon Clark Wrestler.

Luke Pniewski???  hehe... Luke was a good guy and made it his Junior year only because they put King and William Randle in the same side ( wich was a better match than the finals if I remember) but He probably should have won it at some point... He wrestled for many years, as did the Bruce's, Diaz, and Reco Merritt... but all fell short.  That reminds me of TJ Iverson.. He  acctualy beat Tendi one year during the season but fell short at state as well. Think he lost in the Semis to a Sheldon Clark Wrestler.

I think Iverson beat Tendi a couple of times, but he was another one that just never did get over the hump.

There are several names that come to mind who I feel need to be in this list.

Marc Barrett of Campbell County

Dave Fuehner of Simon Kenton 2X State Runner Up

Cliff Woods of Simon Kenton

John Roth of Simon Kenton, he was ranked 1st all year his senior year, he beat Pat Martz of Conner 4 out of the 5 times he wrestled him.

Mike Bankemper of Campbell County

Danny Barnes of Simon Kenton

Gary Alphin of Simon Kenton

John Roth lost to Pat Martz 4 out of 5 times they wrestled.    Dave Barnes did win state.

Thanks for responding "kids", but yes Dave Barnes did win state, as you can see from sitouts post, DANNY BARNES did not win state, this is Dave Barnes brother.

And get your facts correct.....John Roth did beat Pat Martz 4 times his senior year. I know because I remember watching these matches everytime it happened. Roth beat Martz in a dual meet, at the King of the Bluegrass tournament, the Districts and the Regions.

Todd May 167 lbs. 3 time state runner-up 82,83,84

I also think Pat Banks of Larue Co (145lbs) is one of the best wrestlers I've ever seen. He was also beat by one of Ky's all-time best wrestler, Harrison Courtney.

agreed.

yes pat banks is an amazing wrestler and is one of the best to never win a state title andwow tht 3 time state runner up must be horrible like daniel thuneuman he lost to the eventual state champion every year in the semis i think and it was usually sloser then the finals match. i know he wrestled courtney his senior year and it went into over time then courtney pinned sanders in the finals so banks and thuneuman are my top 2.

I think you have to throw in Dion Washington from Woodford if you're considering being in the finals three times.  3x finalist at heavy weight and I believe 3rd his freshman year.  This is very impressive considering juniors and seniors usually dominate this weight class and a few below it.

I think you have to throw in Dion Washington from Woodford if you're considering being in the finals three times.  3x finalist at heavy weight and I believe 3rd his freshman year.  This is very impressive considering juniors and seniors usually dominate this weight class and a few below it.

That is impressive.

David Barton from Paducah Tilghman. He started wrestling his junior year and took second his senior year by a one or two points decision in the finals. His takedowns were amazing and still are to this day.

Dion Washington was a man beast, just never got it done in the end.

Houchens shouldn't be on the list.  Good wrestler, wasn't mean enough.  Didn't take it to his opponants enough.

Thuneman, hell yes.  T Bird was a bad little man.  Is his still wrestling for Army?

Dion Washington was a man beast, just never got it done in the end.

Houchens shouldn't be on the list.  Good wrestler, wasn't mean enough.  Didn't take it to his opponants enough.

Thuneman, hell yes.  T Bird was a bad little man.  Is his still wrestling for Army?

Are you serious? Houchens should without a doubt be on the list of Best To Never Win a State Championship. He was an all around great wrestler, who just seemed to run into stud after stud every year, and he never cut weight or tried to run from great wrestlers.

Nope.  Cant agree.  He was a good technical wrestler, and strong as an ox, but not mean at all.  too nice a kid.  Thats why he never won the big one.

Nope.  Cant agree.  He was a good technical wrestler, and strong as an ox, but not mean at all.  too nice a kid.  Thats why he never won the big one.

Well I guess that this is where we agree to disagree. I don't think that you have to be mean to win it all. You do. Ok.

Yeah, if we all agreed we'd be commies.

But for real you need mean.  just tht i'll break your balls out your sack and throw em to your momma mean.

I have to support one of my teammates, Tendai was a MAN-I-MAL.  That guy was speed and strength personified.  It was like wrestling a small bear in practice.

Well I guess that this is where we agree to disagree. I don't think that you have to be mean to win it all. You do. Ok.

Im Glad someone is looking out for me, I'll try to mean up for you guys in college

ANDREW TINSLEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He was a good wrestler but not deserving on this list.  He had 1 or 2 good throws per match, then usually ended up getting worked on the mat.