Sign in to follow this  
ridge44

has this ever happend to you?

after wrestling season ends you work really hard, go to open matts, nd lift weights, but when u wrestle someone you know you can beat you jus end up doin something stupid nd wrestling crappy, casue thats whats goin on with me, i ahve been going to open mats every chance i get nd im not getting any better, idk what to do?

First lighten up and give yourself a break.  It's the off season and you should do what you are doing, but relax... if you stay so intense you will burn yourself out before the season starts... and it's not a short season.  You should work on conditioning and focus on basics... basics should become second nature... something you don't even think about... just automatic.  The best advice I can give you right now is work mostly on conditioning... that's what will get you through the tough matches and make sure you can go the full 6 minutes.

HAVE FUN!!!

thanks man, im jus really tryin hard to place in state next year, i jus wanna be at the top of my game u kno, its like i give uyp on my shots when i shoot, i get were i can take them down then give up idk ill prolly wont wrestle again till i go wrestle on saturday

Thanks for the advice man

and you just cant go to open mats....u have to become better all around....you need to improve your conditioning and tht will take to to the next level of off season sucess

First lighten up and give yourself a break.   It's the off season and you should do what you are doing, but relax... if you stay so intense you will burn yourself out before the season starts... and it's not a short season.   You should work on conditioning and focus on basics... basics should become second nature... something you don't even think about... just automatic.   The best advice I can give you right now is work mostly on conditioning... that's what will get you through the tough matches and make sure you can go the full 6 minutes.

HAVE FUN!!!

tru but personally dont worry about conditioning during the offseason. get in shape during wrestling season its too hard to keep conditioning all through summer. lift and get as much mat time as possible. Conditioning is key to wrestling but dont stress yourself in the offseason when it doesnt matter, IMO

after wrestling season ends you work really hard, go to open matts, nd lift weights, but when u wrestle someone you know you can beat you jus end up doin something stupid nd wrestling crappy, casue thats whats goin on with me, i ahve been going to open mats every chance i get nd im not getting any better, idk what to do?

Maybe the person you "know" you can beat has gotten better.  We all know you can beat Dusty but I hear his knee is starting to get better, that may be it. :wink:

tru but personally dont worry about conditioning during the offseason. get in shape during wrestling season its too hard to keep conditioning all through summer. lift and get as much mat time as possible. Conditioning is key to wrestling but dont stress yourself in the offseason when it doesnt matter, IMO

well conditioning is important and its better u stay conditioned all year round so wont have to build up more stress during wrestling season especially with practice it wud be better to be in shape so u can actually practice the whole time. I wud know.

well conditioning is important and its better u stay conditioned all year round so wont have to build up more stress during wrestling season especially with practice it wud be better to be in shape so u can actually practice the whole time. I wud know.

u can get in great shape with 2 months of working hard before the season. running and drilling hard during the offseson is pretty unlikly with most wrestlers in this state. To stay in shape you have to work hard on it every single day, most kids wont do that. It only takes 2 days of sitting around the house to start loosing conditoning

u can get in great shape with 2 months of working hard before the season. running and drilling hard during the offseson is pretty unlikly with most wrestlers in this state. To stay in shape you have to work hard on it every single day, most kids wont do that. It only takes 2 days of sitting around the house to start loosing conditoning

true i was thinking u meant to get in shape when wrestling starts

and some people that are dedicated will try to workout everyday it doesnt necissarily have to a hard workout they can do light workouts when they dont feel like doing much.

yea you shouldnt worry about getting in shape.

last year me and tcmma would run like 3 miles and that was plenty of conditioning. i see the most important is just to wrestle a lot and try new stuff. it doesnt matter if someone beats you because it has nothing to do with next year in any way.

It just takes time, it's only been like a month out of season you shouldn't see drastic results. Sometimes it's more the quality of the workout rather than the quanity. If your still wrestling sloppy and wrestle just sloppy wrestlers... you will remain sloppy. This is where camps play a big part in the offseason. I'm not say your a sloppy wrestler, I've honestly have never seen you wrestle, but, you should really consider going to camps and learning better technique. Something that really helped me out was the fact I had bad memory so I took a notebook and pencil to the camps I went to. Good Stuff.

The main thing is mental conditioning.  With what you have stated in your posts, I believe you have the desire, but not the mental conditioning required.  I agree with bear about going to camps, but not just any camp.  Go to an intensive camp that works primarily on your mental state and also adds to your collection of moves (but secondarily).  If you have the money, I would personnally suggest the J-Robinson Intensive 28-day camp.  Otherwise, go to one of the shorter ones, then try to mimic the activities for a more extended period of time during the remainder of your summer.

Sometimes people just go through slumps, in or out of season.  I remember my junior year I started out the season doing really well then tanked in the middle of the year.  At districts (in fact this was the last year they had them) I was seeded 5th but got 3rd, won the region and placed top six at state.  You can't control what you did in the past, you have to just keep working and all of a sudden things will just started clicking.  Once one thing clicks everything else seems to fall right into place like it did for me.

In the off season you should be both lifting and wrestling for about an hour each at least four days a week.  When you lift alternate legs back and bis with chest shoulders and tris.  You should also do abs and lower back every time you lift; your core is very important in wrestling.  When wrestling warm up and learn new technique for about the first 30 minutes.  Then drill the basics hard for a good 15 and then wrestle live for 10.  If you want to be really good I'd do intense conditioning 2 times a week for 5 minutes.

The mental conditioning aspect is very important as well.  Unless your naturally born with an aggressive personality then the Robinson camp is great because it teaches you by breaking you mentally and building you back up again with the attitude that you can keep going no matter what happens.  The real point of the camp is basically train your mind so you have that attitude in season.  Watch how the top teams in the state and country not just wrestle in matches but how they practice.  Their practices are intense and fast-paced.  The internet is a great place to get some ideas for drills, techniqes and practices. 

ridge44 - i think everyone has already said this in 1 form or another, but give it time.  don't doubt yourself and don't get down on yourself.  Don't focus on the results in the summer tournaments such as medaling.  Focus on improving your technique.  When you focus on winning matches and tournaments in the summer, you will be tempted to keep hitting the moves you are used to and are good at.  Use the off season to add a few more weapons to your aresenal, get better at what you do good, and get stronger. 

[/quote

I would say take a break.  Relax for a week or even two.  Let your body heal, as well as your mind.  Come back healthy, strong and hungry.  Think of it as a new beginning.