Sign in to follow this  
MagicBone

middle school duals VS middle school tournaments

I know with me missing the meeting that was ran about this subject really puts me in no bearing to even ask or debate the subject,lol

BUT

Why are we doing back to back middle school duals???

Is it not better to run it as an individual tournament since thats what the sport is all about.

We had a team this year that maybe had 2-3 guys in every weight class almost,so that means the 2nd and 3rd string doesnt wrestle till the end of the year because they lose in wrestle off's,that situation doesnt keep kids interested in the sport,nor does it allow them to gain any experience,it was like A STATE DUALS ALL YEAR!!!

I personally don't like duals.  I know why others like them - because they don't take as long and they are easier to run.  And because the 5 match rule hampers an individual tournament.  I think individual tourneys are much better and they ought to axe the 5 match rule.

It's not as much the 5 match rule, but that you're guaranteed 5 matches.  If you have guys go 2 and out in a tournament they don't get as much mat time.  Also you can put different guys in for different duals, so 2 or 3 guys can get matches in the same weight class.  One thing we did this year at a lot of the dual tournaments we went to was fill in other teams holes with extras.  Or even have a B team.  If you are 3 & 4 deep in a lot of weight classes you need to look into some B tournaments to get those guys some experience. I think you do need to mix in some regular tournaments though, so the guys can get used to every match impacting them directly.  Plus regular tournaments are just more fun and exciting.

I personally don't like duals.  I know why others like them - because they don't take as long and they are easier to run.  And because the 5 match rule hampers an individual tournament.  I think individual tourneys are much better and they ought to axe the 5 match rule.

Personally I like Duals for any program "MS or HS" they get the kids match and experience :-o 

MS is about experience and this is the best format for all programs big or small.  :-D

Sometimes you are guaranteed 5 matches, sometimes not.  It just depends on how big the tournament is.  And there's not always room for an extra team at a dual tourney, just like there's not always room for extra wrestlers at an individual tourney.  If spots are available in a tourney of either format, heck yeah put your non-starters in there, but I am usually against making the starter give up a match or two when he worked hard to earn that spot.  For the most part, the individual tournaments we went to were good about letting our extras in.  I really think it's about the work that goes into it.  An individual tournament, whether it's run smoothly or not, is a headache.  Duals are much easier, and I think that's why you see more of those.