Sign in to follow this  
CoachSmith

Lane Jones and Kevin Cooper

To Greg Jones and Mark Cooper,

I would like to say that you two are raising excellent wrestlers but even better young men. Your two boys are classy and disciplined and very talented wrestlers. This weekend at state they proved to me that they are something else too, and that is a role model. For many young kids around the state they look up and idolize some of the better wrestlers they see. Derek Wiley looks up to both these young men as if they were wrestling GODS. He constantly asked me this weekend if Lane and Kevin could beat David Taylor. He honestly believes that these two would beat the top ranked wrestler in the nation, and nothing meant more to Derek than when both Kevin and Lane came up to him before his semi-finals match with Gilkey and wished him luck.

They told Derek he was better at every area of wrestling than Gilkey and that he better win. I must say that in my two years of coaching Derek, he has never been more relaxed and confident than he was for that match. I think that a lot of that has to do with Derek's wrestling idol's (Kevin and Lane) taking there time to wish him luck. Both did the same thing for his finals match and it really helped him out. So thank you both Kevin and Lane for really making a positive impact on a little kid moments before the biggest match of his life. Good luck to both of you and all your future endeavors. I've long been a fan of both Kevin and Lane it was unfortunate they had to meet each other in the finals cause either one would have ran though other weight classes at state. But good luck on the high school season boys I'll be there to support you.

Coach Zack Smith

another good reason for middle schoolers good enough to wrestle in highschool should, and if they decide to wrestle in middle school state should be aloud. it gives other kids role models and goals. it gives other kids things to work towards. some middle schoolers never go to a varsity meet, so they dont get to see how good you can really get. having some higher skilled wreslters go down, lets them see what they can achieve in the future.

and good luck to both these wrestlers on the highschool level.