Sign in to follow this  
Nathaniel Bryan

2008-09 Newspaper Coverage: Constantly Updated Thread

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20081212/SPORTS05/812120552/1031

Seneca will host the Lonesome Invitational wrestling meet starting at 10 a.m. tomorrow. Finals are scheduled for 7 p.m.

The 16-team field: Doss, Dixie Heights, South Oldham, North Hardin, Moore, Fort Knox, Central, North Oldham, Christian County, Oldham County, Pleasure Ridge Park, Seneca, Jeffersontown, Iroquois, University Heights and Kentucky Country Day.

http://www.lcni5.com/cgi-bin/c2story.cgi?953+20081212133925953003+Sports

Knox High wrestlers have early season success

The Fort Knox High wrestling team participated in the Kings of Bluegrass meet Saturday at Fairdale High in Louisville. Overall, the Eagles placed seventh out of 16 teams. 

By ALLY ROGERS

Turret Sports Editor

The Fort Knox High wrestling team participated in the Kings of Bluegrass meet Saturday at Fairdale High in Louisville. Overall, the Eagles placed seventh out of 16 teams.

http://nky.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/AB/20081214/SPT0302/812140428/&template=printart

December 14, 2008

Tough field gives Ryle early test on road to state

Ryle Raider Rumble

By Kevin Goheen

Enquirer contributor

The final round of his team's own wrestling tournament reminded Tim Ruschell of the final day of February's state tournament. It's not a memory the Ryle head coach wanted to relive, but it is one he will be able to use.

The Raiders were in second place of the Ryle Raider Rumble on Saturday, trailing only eventual champion Grundy (Va.), as the final place matches were to begin. Instead of holding on to that lead, however, Ryle was overcome by Louisville Trinity, the state's top-ranked team, and had to settle for third place in the 16-team tournament.

Grundy won the tournament for the second straight year after finishing third in 2006 in its first trip to Ryle. The Golden Wave had six champions as part of their total of 338.5 points. Trinity finished with 279.5 points, and Ryle had 275. Campbell County was fourth with 222.5 points.

Trinity had three champions, while Ryle's Jake Bradford was the only Northern Kentucky wrestler to win a title, at 189 pounds.

Of the 11 Ryle wrestlers who took part in a final match, only three won and earned points for the Raiders. Trinity, by contrast, had seven wrestlers win final matches, providing enough points for the Shamrocks to overtake Ryle.

"We got to see what we have to work on," said Ruschell. "It's all a learning experience. I try to tell these kids that it's all practice, that the medals here don't mean a thing compared to when you're at the state tournament. We're going to be all right. They're all going to learn."

Six of the teams ranked in the state's top seven, according to Kentuckywrestling.com, competed in the tournament. Trinity was ranked No. 1, with Union County No. 2, Ryle third and Campbell County No. 4.

Ryle finished as the runner-up to Union County at last season's state tournament. That performance has the Raiders believing they can win the title this season.

The depth of quality in Saturday's tournament showed itself in the 125-pound division. Ryle junior Austin Palmer, who finished second in the state last season at 103 pounds and came into this tournament ranked No. 3 in the state with an 8-0 record, lost to Tyler Clark of South Dearborn 7-6 in the round-robin portion of the tournament, relegating him to the consolation rounds. Clark went on to reach the finals before losing to Derek Anderson of Grundy.

Ryle Junior Michael Osborne, ranked No. 2 in the state, beat No. 1-ranked and two-time defending state champion Matt Zarth of Lexington Henry Clay in the 119-pound semifinals. Osborne got a two-point takedown with 27.5 seconds left in the first one-minute overtime period to defeat Zarth, 10-8. Osborne finished fourth in the state at 112 pounds last season.

"I've been wrestling for six years, and I've never had a win like that," said Osborne. "It's my biggest win by far, but I can't dwell on that. It just as easily could have gone the other way. I'm going to see him again."

Osborne hurt his right ankle during the semifinal match, an injury that affected him in the championship match, a 9-1 loss to Jeremy Hurley of Grundy.

Hurley lost to Zarth in the 119-pound finals of last year's Ryle tournament and finished second at last season's Virginia state tournament in the 112-pound division. Hurley was one of six returning wrestlers for Grundy who finished in the top seven at the Virginia state meet.

http://www.oldhamera.com/cgi-bin/c2.cgi?041+article+Sports+20081210161502041041007

Athlete of the Week

Name: Eric Kelley

School: La Grange Elementary

Team: South Oldham Junior Wrestling Club.

Hometown: La Grange.

History: Kelley won the state club championship last season in the 5/6 45-pound division and is a contender to repeat in the 7/8 Division this season.

He placed third last week in the Purcell tourney in Cincinnati. Kelley, who wrestles nearly year-round, is entering his third year in the sport as part of the South Oldham club team which has 28 members and practices three nights a week.

Kelley, a second-grader,  got involved in wrestling through a flyer in his former school at Kenwood Station.

He placed in several tournaments last season before winning the state title.

Favorite wrestler: Kelley

http://www.timesleader.net/articles/stories/public/200812/08/04ZM_sports.html

Wrestling preview: Young Tigers open mat season

Times Leader Staff Report staff@timesleader.net

Monday, December 08, 2008

Caldwell County High opens its wrestling season today (Saturday) with a tournament at Hopkinsville. Even though the Tigers have only two ranked wrestlers at this point in the season, head coach Jason Walls is optimistic over his club

http://www.timesleader.net/articles/stories/public/200812/17/4aai_sports.html

Wrestlers to host Armstrong Classic

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Times Leader Staff Report staff@timesleader.net

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wednesday, December 17, 2008

The Tiger wrestling team will host its biggest event of the season this Saturday when it holds the annual Armstrong Classic at the CAB gym.

The 11-team field includes defending champion Union County and an always competitive Ravenwood, Tenn., squad.

In addition, Caldwell wrestling coach Jason Walls said Ohio County and Christian County would also be bringing strong squads.

http://communitypress.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/C2/20081216/SPT02/812160306/&template=printart

December 16, 2008

Jaguars off to solid start on the mats

By James Weber

jweber@nky.com

UNION - The wrestling team at Cooper High School has some of the most accomplished athletes of any program at the new school.

But there is plenty of new blood, too, so head coach Dave Barnes expects the Jaguars to have the same growing pains as every other team there.

There haven't been many so far as the Jaguars won three of their first four dual matches through Dec. 10.

After beating Scott and Conner to open the season, Cooper lost to Cincinnati St. Xavier's "B" team, then beat Boone County 48-36 in a battle of fledgling programs.

"We have growing pains, but we're doing OK," Barnes said. "We're starting to come together as a team. They're coming from other schools, and that's what we're focusing on, getting everybody on the same page. We're going to try to get some wins and get kids recruiting for us."

Cooper won six of the eight matches contested against the Rebels, with all eight decided by pin.

The Jaguars trailed by 18 early, but claimed the last five matches of the meet, from the 130 through 152 weight classes.

The last was a first-period pin by Andy Gilliland at 152, which clinched the team win. He's been in the final match in each meet so far.

"It was a pretty good feeling because it feels like the whole gym's got your back," said Gilliland, a Ryle product. "It was a good feeling, at the same time I was kind of nervous."

Two grappling veterans paved the way for the Jaguars' late comeback. TJ Bates (130) and Matt Brewer (145) both won by fall. Brewer's win gave Cooper a 42-36 lead.

Both wrestlers have state meet experience competing for Conner.

"We've been doing pretty well as a first-year school," Brewer said. "We have a lot of first-year wrestlers but we're doing pretty good overall... I teach them what I know and help them however I can."

"No doubt, TJ and Matt are going to be leaders but there's also room for growth," Barnes said. "We're all starting from scratch."

Barnes, a Ryle assistant before taking the Cooper job, said eighth-grader Lane Jones will win a state title in his career. Jones pulled out a tough win over Boone's Jordan Bernard at 135 with a late pin.

The Jaguars enjoyed the late rally, and were happy to win for teammate Matt Lay, who was injured in the fourth match of the night and taken to a hospital.

It turned out to be an upper back strain, and Lay was expected to be back on the mat this week.

At the time, it was a potential neck injury and the match was delayed 25 minutes as a trainer kept Lay's head still as a precaution.

"It's upsetting, but he'll push through it and it gets us pumped up to fire back at them," Brewer said.

Cooper had six top-eight medalists at the Ryle Rumble Dec. 13, which had the top five teams in Kentucky and the Virginia state champs.

Bates finished third at 130. Lane Jones, Logan Jones, Jake Penick, Gilliland and Christian Caddell also medalled.

Cooper will be in the NKAC championships Dec. 19-20.

"I'd like to be in the top four," said Barnes "It will take a group effort and strategy on our end. We have holes in our lineup."

Additional Facts

Cooper 48, Boone 36

103: Logan Jones (Cooper) by forfeit.

112: Jacob Pennick (Cooper) by fall over Danny Spille.

119: Tyler Gies (Boone) by forfeit.

125: Derek Gibbs (Boone) by forfeit.

130: TJ Bates (Cooper) by fall over Jackson Sherman.

135: Lane Jones (Cooper) by fall over Jordan Bernard.

140: Justin Menefee (Cooper) by forfeit.

145: Matt Brewer (Cooper) by fall over Mohammed Shalmar.

152: Andy Gilliland (Cooper) by fall over Zach Griffith.

160: Kevin Keith (Cooper) by fall over Billy Patton.

171: Justin Bernard (Boone) by forfeit.

189: Quintin Hauser (Boone) by fall over Matt Lay.

215: Brian Robertson (Boone) by fall over Christian Caddell.

285: Thomas Day (Boone) by forfeit.

http://www.turret.com/cgi-bin/c2story.cgi?953+20081218162141953001+Sports

Knox wrestlers continue season success

By ALLY ROGERS

Turret Sports Editor

ally.rogers@us.army.mil

The Fort Knox wrestling team visited Seneca High School Saturday to participate in the Lonesome Invitational meet. Overall Knox placed 6th among the 16 schools represented at the meet, which included North Hardin, Pleasant Ridge Park, Doss, and Oldham County.

http://www.lcni5.com/cgi-bin/c2printstory.cgi?081+article+sectionname+20081217135042081081006

Harrison grapplers take first in Nelson County

By Lee Kendall

The Harrison County High School wrestling team showed marked improvement last weekend and went 4-1 overall in the Nelson County Duals on Saturday, tying for the best mark of the day in the six-team tournament.

An upbeat Russ Riegel liked what he saw on Saturday, especially from his inexperienced charges.

http://www.thenewsenterprise.com/cgi-bin/c2story.cgi?053+2008121904620053011+Sports

PREP WRESTLING: Region 2 Duals to have new look (12/19)

The first round of the eight-team Region 2 Duals may have a different feel this weekend at LaRue County High School. Instead of having the first round determine the two teams which will compete at the KWCA State Duals on Jan. 31, the format was switched this season.

By JOSH CLAYWELL

jclaywell@thenewsenterprise.com

The first round of the eight-team Region 2 Duals may have a different feel this weekend at LaRue County High School.

Instead of having the first round determine the two teams which will compete at the KWCA State Duals on Jan. 31, the format was switched this season.

Now, the second round

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20081219/SPORTS05/812190545/1031

Central's Rumble in the Hive wrestling meet is set for 10 a.m. tomorrow. Finals will start at approximately 5 p.m.

Joining Central in the tournament will be Bullitt Central, Doss, Fern Creek, Holy Cross, Jeffersontown, Pleasure Ridge Park, St. Xavier, Shawnee and Western.

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20081219/SPORTS05/812190546&template=printart

December 19, 2008

Trinity coach grapples with expectations | In 1st year, Brown has No. 1 team

By Jason Frakes | jfrakes@courier-journal.com

Richard Brown feels as if he's in a no-win situation -- not that he's complaining.

But the wrestling coach at Trinity High School knows the predicament of a first-year coach taking over a program that is ranked No. 1 in the state.

"If we lose this year, it's because I wasn't good enough to win," Brown said. "If we win, 'Oh, well. They were supposed to win.' It's a double-edged sword for me, but I understand the position I'm in as a first-year coach. And I know I'm blessed to be in the position I'm in."

Trinity is one of two Jefferson County schools -- joining No. 7 Seneca -- ranked among the top 10 in the state according to Kentuckywrestling.com. (The Kentucky Wrestling Coaches Association's rankings have been discontinued.)

The Shamrocks, who finished fourth in last year's State Meet, have a loaded squad with four wrestlers ranked No. 1 in their weight divisions -- freshman John Fahy (103), junior Myron Bradbury (112), junior Brad Hitchings (171) and senior Jordan Whiting (heavyweight).

Junior Grant Ohlmann (140 or 145), junior Josh Lewis (189) and senior Brock Messina (215) also are considered top contenders for state titles. Whiting and Messina have not yet joined the team after helping Trinity's football squad win the Class 6-A championship last week.

Brown, trying to lead Trinity to its first state title since 1989, replaced Ed Rudolph during the offseason.

"I think we have the potential to achieve great things," Brown said. "I'm still nervous because the stars have to align and we have to keep our grades and avoid injuries and all that. But, yeah, we're on track right now."

Brown said No. 2 Union County, No. 3 Ryle and No. 4 Campbell County should be considered Trinity's top competition for a team championship. Union County is the two-time defending state champion. Campbell County won the last of its three state titles in 2004.

A brief look at other top teams from the Louisville area:

Seneca lost former state champion Elliott Martin to graduation but should be strong again at the lightweight classes behind Jeff Warra (112), Rayontez Harper (125), Alex Henderson (130) and Ricky Wright (140).

No. 12 Oldham County has a star at 215 in Ichiro Chiba, who is coming off a football season during which he earned All-State honors as a linebacker.

No. 16 St. Xavier took a major hit from graduation but has the fifth-ranked wrestler at 135 in sophomore John Lampe.

Rayshawn Graham (135), Antwan Fields (145) and Alex Meads (171) lead the way for No. 18 Iroquois.

No. 20 South Oldham will be led by senior Ryan Houchens, who is ranked No. 1 at 189 after finishing as the state runner-up last year.

No. 21 Eastern features senior Justin Davis, who is ranked No. 1 at 140 after winning the state title at 135 last year.

Junior Dan Thomson, ranked No. 6 at 140, paces No. 22 North Oldham.

No. 25 Pleasure Ridge Park lost a defending state champion when senior Dakoda Choate (152) moved to Indiana. Senior Dusty Stengel is ranked No. 3 at 152.

No. 28 Bullitt Central has the No. 2-ranked wrestler at 160 in Jeremiah Walls.

Steve Willbanks is ranked No. 5 at 145, leading the way for No. 31 Moore.

No. 32 Central has a top heavyweight in Mister Cobble, who has committed to play football at the University of Kentucky.

Jason Frakes can be reached at (502) 582-4046.

http://www.murrayledger.com/articles/2008/12/11/sports/sports01.prt

Second to None

By TOMMY DILLARD | Sports Writer

Ever since Dickie Walls launched the Calloway County wrestling program six years ago, it's been one first after another for the Laker grapplers.

From his team's first varsity match in 2005 to its first state competitor in 2006 to sending three wrestlers to state last season, Walls has watched his program ascend from fledgling to region competitor.

But for all the exciting firsts the coach has come to expect with the start of practice each fall, this one was surprisingly bittersweet.

http://nky.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/AB/20081221/SPT0302/812210422&template=printart

December 21, 2008

Campbell Co. tops familiar foe | Well-acquainted Camels, Pioneers both go to state

By Marc Hardin | Enquirer contributor

Familiar foes faced off in the final wrestling match to decide the championship of Saturday's marathon, nine-hour Northern Kentucky Athletic Conference duals.

In the end, Campbell County wound up on top at the 11-team, round-robin meet, topping Simon Kenton 51-20 at Holmes.

The Camels, coached by Mike Bankemper, won 10 of 14 matches to subdue the Pioneers, coached by former Campbell County wrestler and Camels assistant coach Jim Wilbers, who wrestled and coached at Campbell under Bankemper.

Wilbers and Bankemper have remained friends and their teams wrestle each other often.

"These teams know each other very well. The kids know each other. So, no, there are no secrets, just good wrestling," said Bankemper.

His Camels finished 4-0 Saturday and improved to 13-1 in dual meets while earning an automatic berth in January's state dual-meet championships.

Simon Kenton, 4-1 on Saturday, also won a state dual-meet berth with its NKAC runner-up finish. The Pioneers improved to 8-5 in dual meets.

"Second place is good. It's a morale booster," said Wilbers, who earned his 98th career dual-meet victory Saturday in this his fifth season as Simon Kenton head coach. "This is good inspiration heading into the Christmas break."

Among the winners in the final match were Campbell County 145-pound junior Korey Shotwell, a state meet finalist last season, and 152-pound senior Dusty Brown, a third-place finisher at last season's state meet.

Brown, who transferred from Simon Kenton to Campbell County after his sophomore year, won all three of his matches Saturday and remained unbeaten on the season after defeating an old friend in the final match.

Brown, 4-0 after missing three weeks with an injured shoulder, defeated Simon Kenton junior Michael Beers.

"We've been friends since the sixth grade. I played youth football with him, so I know he's a pretty good athlete," said Brown, who needs to regularly ice his shoulder and take anti-inflammatory medicine. "I thought I did pretty good. My shoulder was sore after each match. But I'm going to wrestle through it, and it's going to be a good recovery."

Also winning for the Camels on Saturday were freshman Garth Yenter (103 pounds), senior Caleb Schneider (125), junior John Hale (130), junior Daniel Zink, sophomore Nick Meirose (171), junior Colin Friedly (189) and senior Jacob Ilig (215).

Schneider improved his record to 11-3.

"We like beating Simon Kenton. A lot of guys know each other and their coach used to help coach us," Schneider said. "Plus, this gives us a good chance to look at the competition from the region and get to know how they wrestle."

Among Simon Kenton winners in Saturday's final match were heavyweight Colin Patrick, 112-pounder Jared Yocum and Steven Norbury, who improved to 14-1 at 135 pounds.

Campbell County, Simon Kenton and Ryle, which did not travel with a full team, were Saturday's pool winners.

The Raiders, missing wrestlers competing at the Southwest Ohio Wrestling Coaches' Association Holiday Classic at Oak Hills, lost to the Camels and Pioneers in Saturday's second round, and finished the day 3-2.

First-year Cooper, drawing strength from wrestlers with previous experience at Conner and Ryle, was the top second-place team coming out of pool play and finished fourth at the duals with a record of 4-1.

Dixie Heights finished fifth, followed by Conner, Scott, Boone County, Newport, first-year Brossart and host Holmes.

Holmes wrestler Mark Jones, a returning state qualifier, improved to 11-0 at 189 pounds.

RYLE: Senior Will Hogben won the 171-pound championship as Ryle placed third in the Division I grouping at the Southwest Ohio Wrestling Coaches Association Glenn Sample Classic tournament at Oak Hills High School.

Seven Raiders placed in the 28-team event. Senior Jack Bradford nearly gave the Raiders a second individual champion but lost a 6-5 decision in the 189-pound title match against Andrew Tumlin of Harrison. Tumlin is a three-time state qualifier in Ohio, including finishing third at last season's Ohio's Division I state tournament.

Harrison won the Division I team title with 138 points. Ryle's 124 points left it three behind runner-up Princeton.

riday, December 19, 2008

Wrestling team beats region rival

By Ben Achtabowski| sports@thenewsstandard.com

Well before the season started, Meade County wrestling coach Bob Davis used this season