Sign in to follow this  
myGSP

MOW

Based on only these facts. Who would you vote for?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Based on only these facts. Who would you vote for?

• Wrestler A
    • Wrestler B

If wrestler A is indeed Webb of John Hardin i believe that yes he should have goten the MOW. and it shouldn't have been given to Martin if in fact you are talking about Martin as wrestler B.

It was a given that Martin was and did win, we as coaches and wrestlers expected him to win. No disrespect to John Hardin but if you looked at the 152 bracket you wouldn't have expected Webb to win, you would had expected Dakota to win. See why Wrestler A would had been more of the MOW than that of wrestler B. If those where the wrestlers he was talking about I don't know if they where and I don't want to assume.

Only wrestler A & B. no names, no WCI just what was given to you.

Post from Southern1:

"i am trowing this out here maybe wrestler A and B should not have been MOW and Harrison Courtney should have been he was by far the best wrestler at WCI come on he did a banana split lol"

Who is Harrison Courtney? ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTWXYZ (7 beers, I hope i got it right) And yes I got a great banana split at the DQ while attending the WCI.

How should the MOW be picked?

Only wrestler A & B. no names, no WCI just what was given to you.

Post from Southern1:

"i am trowing this out here maybe wrestler A and B should not have been MOW and Harrison Courtney should have been he was by far the best wrestler at WCI come on he did a banana split lol"

Who is Harrison Courtney? ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTWXYZ (7 beers, I hope i got it right) And yes I got a great banana split at the DQ while attending the WCI.

How should the MOW be picked?

Ok I'm sorry about that then.

If a wrestler comes up out of know where and is seed or ranked medium to low and wins it all or gets runner up. Such as wrestler a looks like he did. Wrestler B no because he should of won it. If he didn't than he really wasn't seed 1 or ranked 1 he was a fake.

And just for kicks you left out U and V but let me guess it was the 7 beers.

Ok I'm sorry about that then.

If a wrestler comes up out of know where and is seed or ranked medium to low and wins it all or gets runner up. Such as wrestler a looks like he did. Wrestler B no because he should of won it. If he didn't than he really wasn't seed 1 or ranked 1 he was a fake.

And just for kicks you left out U and V but let me guess it was the 7 beers.

7 the case is gong! :-D :-D :-D

ok if you just want A or B  I like too see when a under dog wins in this case i like A becasue he had to beat the 1 seed and the 2 seed

It happens in KY and outside of KY two, there are DQ's all over the USA. I know, ask Ranger123 from OZ he knows ALL. :-D :-D :-D

How should the MOW be picked???

ok if you just want A or B  I like too see when a under dog wins in this case i like A becasue he had to beat the 1 seed and the 2 seed

I personally don't like the underdog winning the MOW.

How many times do we see a wrestler win the MOW because he upset someone then at the next tourney he fails to live up to the standard. 

Again I believe it should go to the best wrestler at the tourney.  If he was expected to win big and did so then he earns the title.  A am also thinking more on the lines of the state tourney.  If Sullivan wins his 4th state title and pins his way through the tourney and "Joe Schmo"  comes out of no where and wins 215, who gets the MOW out of these two.

In my opinion it goes to Sullivan.  He is at least arguably one of the top 3-5 wrestlers in the state.

How many times do we see a wrestler win the MOW because he upset someone then at the next tourney he fails to live up to the standard. 

Again I believe it should go to the best wrestler at the tourney.  If he was expected to win big and did so then he earns the title.  A am also thinking more on the lines of the state tourney.  If Sullivan wins his 4th state title and pins his way through the tourney and "Joe Schmo"  comes out of no where and wins 215, who gets the MOW out of these two.

In my opinion it goes to Sullivan.  He is at least arguably one of the top 3-5 wrestlers in the state.

yea i know what you are say and i agree you are right (well spoken)

MOW at state should go to the most outstanding wrestler at the 2008 tourney. If Joe Schmo pins his way through and wins his first state title, was 3rd or 4th at regions, is only in10th grade? To bring up Sullivan's  previous state titles has nothing to do with the 2007 MOW.

What should the voters look at when picking the MOW?

Should all the voters get together after the last match, and voice their opinions on who they pick as the MOW and why? Just like in the seeding meeting? Would this be a better way, Voters can't watch all the matches.

What should the voters look at when picking the MOW?

Who they believe is the best wrestler at the tourney.  Who dominated their wt. class. 

Technique, confidence, swagger, attitude, sportsmanship.  All of these make the wrestler a MOW.

Who they believe is the best wrestler at the tourney.  Who dominated their wt. class. 

Technique, confidence, swagger, attitude, sportsmanship.  All of these make the wrestler a MOW.

Agree with all!!!

BUT

No coach (voters for MOW) at a tourney can watch all the matches!

If you were this coach, how would you pick?

Example:

You miss wrestler A 2nd match where he was on his back three times and was down 13-5, before the other kid tries a throw, slips and gets pined by wrestler A. He does see all his other matches where he pins 1st match 4:30, 3rd match F 1:45, 4th match Dec 18-3 all, and in the finals Hits a throw to win F:45.

You see only two matches of wrestler B, 1st match Dec24-8, 2nd match F :55, he misses wrestler B last 3 matches (restroom, food, coaching his kid), 3rd match F 1:05, 4th match F 3:25, and in the finals Dec 17-2.

We are talking only about two wrestlers, what about the other matches at the rest of the weight classes that we missed. Or out of the matches we do see only one kid sticks out for MOW in our mind, even though we haven't seen the all. Do we vote for him?, knowing that someone else might deserve it more but we didn't see their matches.

So I would say there is a flaw in how the MOW is picked.

Is there a BETTER WAY?

I think most but not all the coaches watch the finals matches.  Those that do not either have already made up their minds who they are voting for or they don't care and don't vote at all. 

Is there a better way?  I don't think so.  This award is subjective.  Each coach will determine their vote in their own way.  You can't have a meeting after the tourney, most if all will not go to the meeting.  The tourneys are already long enough.  Knowing a few coaches, some don't think the award is all that important anyway. 

I do however believe that in most cases 99% of the time the correct wrestler is chosen (or at least on of the three that it could have been given to)

Every coach has to have their own criteria for picking MOW.  There doesn't need to be a set criteria.  That's why they take the votes from all of the coaches and choose the one with the most votes.