wcwrestler189

best region in 2005/2006?

Region 6, as usual. Its a border region, so lots of the teams go to Ohio tourneys ... there's big competition there usually. Really pushes the guys. Additionally, region 6 is always tough so the guys get pushed plenty against each other. Granted Ruschelle graduated, but one man doesn't make a region.

Campbell Co. has both Brian Wilson and Ben Rust returning. Both finished top 5 last year, and Wilson was runner up and a serious threat to win state this year. He seems to get no love in these threads though, both his and Aylor's names (a returning champ) were conspicuously absent from state champ predictions. And they wrestled each other for the title last year !

Scott has Thuneman.

Ryle has Aylor and Peace. I would watch Reid from them as well, he could have a breakout year. Little Ashworth should be back, he broke his foot last year i heard and they have an up and coming guy who wrestled 112 and placed 8th. Oh, and you have Greg Ashworth.

You have Goldsby from Holmes. He's quite tough.

You have Austin and Josh Cooper from Simon Kenton. Dusty Brown did okay at 103 state as well, only in 8th grade.

You have Dale Stone and Goodman from Conner.

I can't think of anymore off the top of my head. But my god, thats a lot of big names. Even assuming no more guys emerge, which is rarely the case, this region is supreme. If you took the regional champs in each region, made a team of them and had a dual tournament, region 6 definitely wins it.

region 8 is pretty tough too with 4 state champs last year, 3 returning state champs

you have the 3 of the top 4 103's and the 103 state champ, Sullivan

eric bryant comin back

joey sanders is back

jacob murton and brandon howard, top 2 at 135 last year

tim jones from pike county central should place this year

and a few others that placed and will place this year

That is a lot of champs returning. It would be hard for region 6 to match that number of champs, depends on where guys end up weight wise. They only have Aylor as a returning state champ, but several guys who could get it done this year.

Region 7 will be strong, you have the Woodford factor and some up and coming guys from Harrison Co. I'm not sure who else is in that region. Woodford is in region 7, right ? :)

Ok. Brown was their 119, right ? I think i saw him wrestle Griffith at Conference, but thats it.

Campbell Co. will have Griffith, he may be along the same lines as Brown. Griffith was beat out for a varsity spot last year by a first year senior, Tony Brackett. Brackett would have been unbelievable had he started as a freshman, he missed placing by one match at state his first and only year. Griffith may have an outside shot at placing if he keeps his weight down, as those two were pretty close in wrestle offs i heard.

I've been told Campbell Co. has a couple of prospects, but its just conjecture based on offseason workouts. You just have to wait and see how that plays out i say.

Returning Placers - Returning State Champs

Region1: 10 - 1

Region2: 9 - 0

Region3: 1 - 0

Region4: 3 - 0

Region5: 9 - 3

Region6: 13 - 1

Region7: 11 - 1

Region8: 5 - 3

Brandon Howard wasnt the top 2 at 135 last year,Banks destroyed him at State Duals

Region 5 has 1 state champ

a Back to Back state champ

Another state champ

I Dont think just because Region 6 teams go to face Ohio Wrestlers classifies them as A good region

Some of the top wrestlers in weight classes through Kentucky

Taylor Sherer-#1 215

Derek Scott-#1 125

Ben Rupp-#1 160

Jon Wolsifer-#2 145

Caleb Wood-#1 112

Ben Warner#-2 119

Aaron Wise-#5 215

Joaquin Luna-#5 103

Nathan Lovewell-#2 152

Daniel Martinko-#4 171

Thats half the weight classes,Region 5 is really on top,of course Woodford's Region would be high all of their guys are ranked,but only 1 state champion

We've been down this road before. Someone added up all the points region 6 guys scored last year, and the year before, and both years they dominated the tournament. And, someone told that guy he had no life but thanks for that interesting info !! They might not have had the most champs, 3 is not bad though last year, but they have an outrageous amount of guys that are good.

The state meet fact sheet supports this, not just my opinion. The Ohio remark is an attempt at an explanation why they're the best because as i said ... the state meet results are what most strongly supports that. The 140 and 152 pound state finals matches were regional rematches. 3 guys from region 6 were in the 140 semis, all of which are coming back. The 125 console final was a regional rematch. Both those guys are back. The list of placers goes on and on from last year. Ryle tied LaRue for second, Campbell Co. was 7 points behind them in fourth.

With all the placers coming back i don't see it changing. Sorry.

In light of this info, do you have a good reason as to why they are NOT a good region ? Oh yeah, and check out git-r-done's post. Who's got the most finishers coming back ?

I agree that region 7 will be tough. Chad Scott is a decent wrestler from Woodford, who i'm thinking will be varsity this year and could potentially place. And a couple guys from Harrison Co. that are pretty good, actually Harrison Co as a team will be decent.

By the way, me bringing up out of state wrestling is not a knock against Ky wrestling and wasn't intended to be. I think Ky wrestling has come a long way, its just that Ohio is close for the N Ky teams and has monster talent. I've heard coaches say its harder to make the semis at state than its ever been in Ky. But why drive 100 miles to Lexington, Louisville, or further when there's monster competition 20-30 minutes away in Cincinnati ?

Ohio wrestling is way better due possibly to the fact that the population of Ohio is nearly three times that of Ky. So, if both states do have the same "tradition" of wrestling and put the same effort into it Ohio is still almost certain to be better due to having a much more massive population than Ky. Hence, due to statistics you turn out more Starks or Murton level (after all, he is from Ohio originally) level wrestlers.

I just didn't want it to sound like a knock on Ky. I reread my post and thought it could be taken that way, so thats the only reason i brought it up.

That is their rankings, and what you stated is still irrelevant because Region 5 has most of the top guys in the state,Whether their facing Ohio teams or not to the one who thinks so much of the Campbell County,Larue and Ryle teams,and thats the truth,give them some credit!!! You guys always talk about how good Taylor Sherer is well he is a Region 5 wrestler 8)

Add up all the team scores from all the regions. Region 6 comes out with the most points. There's no arguing that, how is that irrelevant ? Adding up all the team scores is a broader measure on who's best.

Ask Lawrence Co if having the two best guys in the state makes you best. Just because you have a few ridiculous wrestlers doesn't make you best all around, Lawrence Co as a team proves that. You seem to be arguing that since region 5 has the most state champs returning they're best. Not so fast, if you measure it as i've said multiple times. But you can't seem to get past the Ohio thing.

A chump can wrestle in Ohio and be no good. Obviously. But add the team scores up, and region 6 has the most. Hence, i was saying part of the reason they're good is they wrestle tough people to keep sharp because they're already good ! (i.e. wrestle Ohio). If someone keeps letting you up and taking you down, you learn nothing from it. So of course they have to be good before they even go over there, wrestling there keeps them that way.

I'll give region 5 credit, they've got some good wrestlers. Props to you, i think thats what you want to hear. And i'll give it, region 5 isn't bad.

But if you add up the region 5 team scores and region 6 team scores they won't beat region 6. Do it and tell me what you got for the past couple years.

By the way, the one who thinks so much of Campbell Co and Ryle isn't exactly ludicrous. In the past four years Campbell Co took 2nd, 2nd, 1st and 4th. Ryle placed 7th, 4th, 5th, and 2nd. Somebody's doing something right. Ryle's middle school program is getting outrageous, they may eventually challenge Woodford's dominance.