Sign in to follow this  
kdsmith27

4 High-Performance Tips To Get The Most Out Of Your Year-Round Wrestling Conditi

Sorry about last post. Hopefully this will make up for it.

4 High-Performance Tips To Get The Most Out Of Your Year-Round Wrestling Conditioning Program!

Now that the offseason is here for many of you, I'm sure you are hitting the weight room hard and already in training for next season.  Here are some pointers to maximize your conditioning before the start of the next season!

1.  Use a combination of free weights, machines, and running! 

Lately I've read about some so-called experts who are completely disregarding weight training in favor of body weight training for wrestlers.  It's no surprise that these guys look like they've never touched a weight.  They argue that weights make you slow and are not specific to a wrestler's needs.  THAT'S A BUNCH OF BULL!  You show me a wrestler who does nothing but pushups, situps and pullups, and I'll show you a wrestler who isn't coming close to their strength potential for the mat.  Weight training, or any strength training should never mimick the needs of a wrestler.  In fact, they should be totally different.  When you're on the mat, you want to wrestle fast.  Therefore, your strength training should be slow and methodical.  By emphasing the lowering or negative part of the exercise, you will become faster on the mat!

** If you doubt me, ask Vernon Fox of the Washington Redskins.  I had him do slower, more intense strength training for 12 weeks, and he improved his 40 time by 2 tenths of a second, dropped his body fat by 4% and increased his overall strength by more than 20%**

2.  Break down your training into phases. 

We like to use an Offseason Phase, a Speed Phase, a Preseason Phase and an Inseason Phase.  Each phase lasts between 4 and 12 weeks.  Each phase is separated by a short 1 or 2 week rest phase.  If you are working out hard you'll need this rest phase to allow your body to replenish its nervous energy so that you don't burn out.  Your inseason training should be full-body workouts twice a week.  Your offseason training should be 3 workouts per week with a split routine that concentrates on all of your wrestling muscles.  Your preseason phase is still 3 days per week but with the addition of some plyometric training to help increase power. 

** For specific phase training workouts, be sure to check out the Workout Vault at www.wrestlingperformance.com **

3.  Use a Wrestling-specific running program. 

By wrestling-specific, I mean a program that conditions the body both aerobically and anaerobically.  This requires that you have 3 nonconsecutive running workouts each week.  Make sure they are done only after you've completed your strength training.  Be sure that 2 of your 3 weekly running workouts include wind sprints (these can be done for 100 meters every 5 minutes while jogging) and uphill running.  Uphill running will do some amazing things for your overall metabolic conditioning.  Try to run uphill, then walk back down the hill.  Be progressive and strive for more with each workout.  Put a cap on your running at 30 minutes.  Any more will start to break down good muscle tissue.

4.  Have a recovery drink after each workout. 

One scoop of casein protein, plus one scoop of whey protein in 16 oz. of Gatorade or juice will do the trick.  You'll find yourself stronger, and more energetic for your next workout!

Sign in to follow this