Sign in to follow this  
Ranger123

KentuckyWrestling.com HS Rankings - 2007/2008 Pre-season March 4

yes, i think his name was Jimmy Jones (?) the only reason i know this is because Drew is my little brother's best friend, and is always making fun of me because he is larger than me!!

Eaglewrestler, it wasn't the Ashland kid who beat Newberry at state, unless the kid wore a Henderson County Singlet and wrestled in Region 1 (LaRue's Region).

And kywildman, will Joey be able to make 103 next year???

yes hes the only one at 103 who didnt have to drop wait the most he has gained was 105

Ranger,

I agree with some of your rankings, but I don't understand how you could rank Ryan Kelly above Mark Jones. Jones has beaten him two years in a row at state. Even this year before the stoppage, Jones would have been out front. I agree Kelly had a better showing during the match, but that fact(principle) remains, as you mentioned in another post regarding Courtney and Theunamen; that Jones won. If you look at the match, Jones scored a takedown on Kelly, when Kelly screamed out the first time, which would have been 2, and another takedown taking Kelly right to his back right before the dislocation, which would have been 5. Given that the wrestler screamed out, the match had to be stop, thus no points awarded. At this juncture with 30 seconds left Jones would have been up 11 to 8.

Still all of that means nothing, but in the end Jones won, so what constitutes a second place ranking? I think his style of wrestling hurts him when it comes to certain polls, but in others the standards are definitive. Victory is victory. So often this is the case when one wrestlers wins because of injury during a match, he is awarded the victory and the ranking in your polls, does this principle not work in reverse?

I also noticed that wrestlers that have never beaten certain opponents are ranked above others in your polls due to their finish at state. We both know, that rankings are just what they are and meant to be nothing more, and they are not indicative of what happens in the matches. I just hope there is no bias involved. :wink:

Just my opinion. Thanks for listening.

Ranger,

I agree with some of your rankings, but I don't understand how you could rank Ryan Kelly above Mark Jones. Jones has beaten him two years in a row at state. Even this year before the stoppage, Jones would have been out front. I agree Kelly had a better showing during the match, but that fact(principle) remains, as you mentioned in another post regarding Courtney and Theunamen; that Jones won. If you look at the match, Jones scored a takedown on Kelly, when Kelly screamed out the first time, which would have been 2, and another takedown taking Kelly right to his back right before the dislocation, which would have been 5. Given that the wrestler screamed out, the match had to be stop, thus no points awarded. At this juncture with 30 seconds left Jones would have been up 11 to 8.

Still all of that means nothing, but in the end Jones won, so what constitutes a second place ranking? I think his style of wrestling hurts him when it comes to certain polls, but in others the standards are definitive. Victory is victory. So often this is the case when one wrestlers wins because of injury during a match, he is awarded the victory and the ranking in your polls, does this principle not work in reverse?

I also noticed that wrestlers that have never beaten certain opponents are ranked above others in your polls due to their finish at state. We both know, that rankings are just what they are and meant to be nothing more, and they are not indicative of what happens in the matches. I just hope there is no bias involved. :wink:

i agree with this...its who wrestles the whole match!

Ranger,

Definitely no bias against Jones or North Hardin.  Coach Smith is a good guy and I have only seen good things from the wrestlers and fans.  I must have missed something during the Kelly-Jones match.  Plus, I'm sure a few Sheldon Clark fans will chime in.  The last I saw it was 8-4 Kelly.  The next thing I know Kelly goes down.  I admit I didn't see the entire match, but it looked as if Kelly had the match before his injury.  That is my basis for the ranking.

Overall, yes you are right state does weigh heavily in my ranking.  That's because that tournament is THE measuring stick.  If someone steps it up and advances farther than others then it means something.  If you have particular concerns or issues please send me a pm and we can discuss.  As others can attest, I am more than welcome to share my thoughts on any individual ranking.

Ranger,

No need sir, I am just one who examines things in a different light, and wondered about that choice. The match was indeed 8-4 , and with the final takedown and exposure that resulted in Kelly's injury, Jones would have pulled ahead by one. Kelly is a fine young man, and so is Jones, I can't wait to see them match up again. Jones wrestled the wrong match against Kelly. I know these are just preliminary rankings, so no harm no foul.

Continue doing what you do, and I'll enjoy analyzing from a different perspective.

Thanks for the response.

Guest wrestler92

From what I was watching of that match it actually looked like the sheldon clark kids was handling north hardin pretty good and in my opinion was going to win....it's hard to guess about the last takedown that ended the match because if the injury hadn't occured he may not have gotten any back points or even the takedown for that matter if he was able to scramble out of it. 

Ranger,

No need sir, I am just one who examines things in a different light, and wondered about that choice. The match was indeed 8-4 , and with the final takedown and exposure that resulted in Kelly's injury, Jones would have pulled ahead by one. Kelly is a fine young man, and so is Jones, I can't wait to see them match up again. Jones wrestled the wrong match against Kelly. I know these are just preliminary rankings, so no harm no foul.

Continue doing what you do, and I'll enjoy analyzing from a different perspective.

Thanks for the response.

hahahah you better because 285 belongs to bailey!

ok bailey i kno your weekness and ill tell every one lol but yes i think it is to but im going to try my hardest to not make it your year but good luck next year

I know Bailey's weakness too.  Just before the tie up, ask him to spell any word with more than one syllable.  As he's thinking, and this will take a long time, shoot a side single for the takedown.  You can go for back points but if he escapes, repeat the process mentioned above, :-D  Just kidding Bailey.  He' the man at HWT.  There's no disputing that.  But, as we've seen before, one error or mistake and you can lose to anyone.

Guest hwtmaster

In 285 Nathan Gray from TC he went undefeated against Tony Turner from SK and 2-1 against Evan bullock from laf and 1-0 against pc cobble from cen

In 285 Nathan Gray from TC he went undefeated against Tony Turner from SK and 2-1 against Evan bullock from laf and 1-0 against pc cobble from cen

He also lost to Mayes of Franklin County at region by decision (no lucky pin).  Did he get injured at region or what, because he didn't perform very well there finishing 6th.  That's what dropped him off the board, although he is actually #21 on my list.

From what I was watching of that match it actually looked like the sheldon clark kids was handling north hardin pretty good and in my opinion was going to win....it's hard to guess about the last takedown that ended the match because if the injury hadn't occured he may not have gotten any back points or even the takedown for that matter if he was able to scramble out of it. 

I agree that the Kelly was winning the match, but my questions went back to the basics. A wrestling match is 6 minutes, not 5 1/2. Don't misconstrue my questioning of the ranking against Kelly, because like I said he's a fine wrestler, but a victory in my eyes is a victory. Jones pinned him in 06, and won by injury default in 07. He is 2-0 against Kelly, so my questions was, what merited a 2nd place ranking to Kelly. Thirty seconds is a long time left, anyone who wrestled know matches can be won and lost in that amount of time. Take Wolsifer-Wheeler, Sullivan-Evans, just to name a few. If you say kelly dominated on 07, then Jones dominated in 06, that leaves us square. Lets use more notables, if Cortney loses to Theunamen by injury default do you rank him above Cortney? Just a thought. I think Kelly has to complete the match and win convinsingly as he would have, but he didn't for whatever reason. To predict what could of happened in that final 30 seconds is impossible, but the outcome is what is recorded.

He also lost to Mayes of Franklin County at region by decision (no lucky pin).  Did he get injured at region or what, because he didn't perform very well there finishing 6th.  That's what dropped him off the board, although he is actually #21 on my list.

no he was just overlooking some of the guys that he was going to wrestle and the beat him.