Sign in to follow this  
wrest65

Regional Seeding Question

Just curious-for those of you with  experience with ranking, seeding, etc.

When it comes to seedings how do you approach a situation like what happened last night with PRP/Southern/BUCE in the 135 weight class?

You had three wrestlers that you can argue are 1,2,3 or close to that.  Walls is undoubtedly #1 and he wrestled both PRP and South-beat PRP by double digits and it was 4/0 against South.  The only other time he has wrestled them at Woodford he pinned PRP (I think-but I know he won easily) and beat Southern 4/3. 

But the first match of the night should have been Durden (Southern) vs Phillips (PRP) - Phillips chose not to wrestle & Durden wrestled another PRP wrestler and won.  Obviously Phillips is not injured b/c he did wrestle Walls in the very next match.  So it was more than likely a strategic move to protect his seeding at Regionals.  At the same time that does not seem to be very competitive-if you really believe that your wrestler is a better wrestler then he should wrestle.  Walls was risking his seeding also and he still choice to wrestle both guys.  So when it comes down to it - how do you look at a situation like this - too bad for Southern - PRP has one win over him and will not wrestle him so he does not have a chance to change that-or do you look at overall record and quality of wins??? This is all decided by the coaches correct?

I know there is a list of critera they go by such as head to head, record against common opponents, record, etc..

Regional seeding meeting sometimes turn into huge arguments, I have been in them and it is a big mess.

I will tell you that the head to head situation will outweigh anything else.

Also the difference between 2nd and 3rd seed is nothing more than a number.

The second and third seeded wrestlers will meet in the semifinals round.

Since PRP has a win over Southern then he should be seeded higher than him.  It does not matter if he could have wrestled him or not.  This type of thing happens more often than you think.

Thanks for the info.  I am sure it does happen - I just did not know all the criteria for seeding.  With the 135 weight class being so competitive I am sure that there will be allot to consider.

Lowsingle is correct, criteria is used but when there is no head to head decisions, it can get a little ugly in those seed meetings as coaches fight for their kids.  I am pretty certain each region is free to come up with their own criteria (nothing sent down from Mt. Zion [The KHSAA] as to what seeding should be based upon).  In the region I am associated with here is the seed criteria:

Head to head

Wins over common opponents, one weight class above and below

Wins over "tough" respected opponents and the majority of coaches at the meeting must agree that the win was over indeed a "tough" respected opponent

Least number of regional losses at any weight class

Regional wins at any weight class

Flip a coin.

As you can see, after head to head, the water gets a little murky in many ways, especially the third one there.

Those seed meetings are VERY fun.  When I was with the high school, we used to have them for our region at a local restaurant.  I would buy a big slice of apple pie and a large glass of milk and sit and eat, listen, and enjoy the show!!   :-D

I have been reading the posts on the other thread about seeding the state duals and just smiling.  Obviously you all think you are dealing with level-headed, clear-thinking individuals and forget you are actually dealing with wrestling coaches!!  I have been in every coaches meeting for state duals since 98 and they are even worse, or at least the ones that have been since we have seeded the state duals.  Pre seeding, it was amusing to watch the coaches during the blind draw.  I shouldn't say much though, I used to have a pair of lucky underware I used to wear every year at state duals to help us get a good draw.  And yes, Happy Pappy, they did get washed after each state duals.  

Anyway, after head to head, trying to seed state duals is not fun nor easy.  This year I was eating fruit during that meeting.  Diabetic now, no more apple pie or donuts for me.  Anyway, seeding 1-4 is hard enough!!  Let alone trying to go to 8 or even further!!   :-D  

Remember, we are dealing with WRESTLING COACHES!!  

Just curious-for those of you with  experience with ranking, seeding, etc.

When it comes to seedings how do you approach a situation like what happened last night with PRP/Southern/BUCE in the 135 weight class?

wrest65 you clearly have something invested in that 135lb. class, or else you would have noticed the real drama caused by last night's matches. 

The 145lb. class's 1,2,and 3 have now officially become paper, rock, and scissors.  That is going to be the real fun one to sort out. :|

wrest65 you clearly have something invested in that 135lb. class, or else you would have noticed the real drama caused by last night's matches. 

The 145lb. class's 1,2,and 3 have now officially become paper, rock, and scissors.  That is going to be the real fun one to sort out. :|

I was there and it was clearly a very interesting turn of events.  Obviously I do have an interest,  as I do in the region 3teams as whole. 

I am also have to admit that I find the whole seedings, tournament, duals inner workings very intriguing.  I never knew all the background drama before this year.

yea region 7 112 will go through the same thing cornett has beaten miller, voth, and carpenter frasier twice so he gets the 1 seed but miller has beaten frasier i think the only time they have wrestled, frasier has beaten voth twice, and voth has beaten miller. who gets the 2,3,4 seeds