Sign in to follow this  
ridge45

REGION 3 CHAMPIONSHIP

What team do you see takin' home the REGION 3 championship...  

26 members have voted

1. 1. What team do you see takin' home the REGION 3 championship...

• PRP
    • Bullit Central
    • Southern
    • Desales
    • Meade Co

Who do you think will win it as a team and how do you think this will happen? Give your thought on how you think individual wrestlers will do to support your opinion.

Individually I think the schools will have...

PRP-4 [possibly 5] champs

Desales-1 champs

Bullit Central-4 [possibly 5] champs

Southern-0 champs

Meade Co-Possibly 1

The Region 3 Championship is PRP's to lose.  I think it's PRP then B.C.  After that, who knows.  Doss will place top 5 and as high as 3rd.  Southern will place top 5 and so will DeSales.  Meade County has gotten better over the season but I don't think they're a top 5 team.  They are effective is duals b/c they have a complete line-up!  As for individual tournaments, I don't think they are as effective.  That's not saying they don't have decent wrestlers.  Ohmes will definitely be in the 112 final and they have a few other possibilities as well, but overall, they're not there yet.  As for the champions, I think it's like this.

103 - Badgett in a walk

112 - Reichmuth or Ohmes but probably Nick

119 - Colston (Gall may go 119 and Lewis from Doss may go 125).  If that happens, it might be a different story.

125 - Mills

130 - Seeders

135 - Walls is the favorite but I still think this is open.  Phillips, Durdeen or Cosgrove definitely have a chance.

140 - Edwards

145 - I think is open. 

152 - Walls

160 - Do I really have to say.  I think everyone knows but just in case, Dakoda

171 - Salter

189 - Raleigh

215 - Nickel in a walk

HWT - If Robbie Brown makes it to regionals w/out getting kicked off again, I think he's the favorite.  Then again, you can't take anything away from Wise.  He's been consistent all year long.

Team wise I think this is the final standings:  1) PRP 2) B.C. 3) Doss 4) DeSales 5) Southern 6-8) Fairdale, Iroquois, & Meade County (but not necessarily in that order. 

What's everyone else think?

Anyone else with predictions?

Individually I think the schools will have...

PRP-4 [possibly 5] champs

Desales-1 champs

Bullit Central-4 [possibly 5] champs

Southern-0 champs

Meade Co-Possibly 1

I think Southern has a chance at at least two champions - it is so close at 135 it is hard to tell.  I think we will have a clearer picture after tonight.  And you just never know how things will play out at some of the other weights so I think at any given time there can be a mental mistake, a bad match up or someone could just wrestle crazy and you could end up with an unexpected champ from any school.

i think that meade county will have at least 2 champs in it. 1 will deff. get it but we have a good chance to get 2 but for sure we will get 1...and as for us not getting top 5 i think that your wrong on that too. its not because we have a full line up that we win duels. we do have a full line up but at the same time our guys do win the matches that they go into and most of the time its by pins. our starters in the 112,160,171,and 189 most of the time are the ones who determine if we win or not but as a team we do compete rather well so i think we can get 2nd or 3rd prob. 3rd at least. look for 2-3 of us to make it to region championships

meadecowrestler,

Who do you see from your team winning an individual regional championship?  I think Ohmes has a chance but that's it.  Kelch won't beat Choate at 160, Bruce won't beat Salter at 171 and Opie won't beat Raleigh @ 189.  Those three have a chance to make the finals but I just can't see them feasibly winning their weight class.  Also, full line ups do make a huge difference.  If you're team starts a dual meet up by 12 or 18 points b/c of forfeits by the other teams, especially if it's at weight classes where you have some of your less talented wrestlers, the other team has a huge hole to dig out of.  At dual meets a pin counts as six points regardless of whether it's the first dual, second dual etc.  In individual tournaments, a pin in the first round isn't worth as much as a pin in the second round.  That's why teams that don't have a full-lineup, especially if they have 3 or 4 really good wrestlers, can conceivably place higher than, or at least very close to, a team who has a full line-up.  Case in point would be the Trojan invitational this year.  If you guys face Ft. Knox in a dual, and I think you have, you would beat them by 20 or more.  However, at the Trojan, you guys finished with 71 points and Ft. Knox had 70.5.  That's b/c they have 2 very talented wrestlers (Bailey & Barrientos) and 2 or 3 more wrestlers who are pretty good also (Young, Garcia, etc.)  I know for a fact Iroquois doesn't have a full team (I think they forfeit 4 or 5 weight classes) and they placed higher at the Trojan.  I'm not knocking you guys by any means.  You guys have come a long way in a short time.  You're wrestlers and coaches are to commended for that.  However, I just don't see your team being in the top 5 this year.  As for next year, that's a different story. 

I have to disagree with my fellow teamate and Dragon Master. I think we won't place top three but we do have a chance, however small or large it may be, to place top in the top five.

I aggree with Dragon Master that in duels we do fairly well, though only because we have a full team, were as most teams we face don't have a full line up. This is one reason why we've done as good as we have. Though in an individual tourny, like that of regionals and state, I personally think about half of Meade Co wrestlers won't place, another 4/5 will place and the other 2 would have been something like one more win and they would have placed but will end up losing their last match and taking 6th.

meadecowrestler,

.  Case in point would be the Trojan invitational this year.  If you guys face Ft. Knox in a dual, and I think you have, you would beat them by 20 or more.  However, at the Trojan, you guys finished with 71 points and Ft. Knox had 70.5.  That's b/c they have 2 very talented wrestlers (Bailey & Barrientos) and 2 or 3 more wrestlers who are pretty good also (Young, Garcia, etc.) 

we beat meade co at the danville invitional!

they finished like 11 or 10  and we finished 6th

to point out what you where saying

but also i was not there to help out my team and my replacement was out of the tourn. pretty fast. i would have been probably knocked out by garcia but i would have also stacked up more points putting us probably ahead some of the teams that beat us. its all up to whos wrestling that day. all im saying is that if you count out meade county, out of anything then your going to feel it in the end. and as for iroq. when we first went against them im almost positive they had a full line up or at least close to one. but im not arguing with you about it your prob right but all im saying is that its a horrible mistake for you to count out meade county this soon.we love the underdog role and we play it nicely

I'm not counting you guys out by any means.  I said earlier, I think you have a chance for one champion and possibly 3 other guys to make the finals.  That would be a huge accomplishment for a 1st year team! Look at a team like Daviess County.  They are either in their 2nd or 3rd year and haven't progressed to that point.  I'm not saying you guys will not have an impact on Regionals b/c you can.  I'm just saying that IMO, this is not your year.  Next year, I completely expect it to be a different story.  I'm sure you guys will work hard in the offseason (i.e camps, usawrestling, etc.), I know you will have most of your line-up back and I also know that your school will give your team the support and resources you need to be successful.  Those three things will help make you highly competitive and in the running for the Region 3 championship, next year.  With a few upsets, you could place top 5 at Regional, this year.  It's not out of the question.  I hope you prove me wrong.  I'm all for the underdog.  I wish you the best of luck the rest of the season.  In 1 1/2 weeks we'll see just how much your team has truely progressed.

i do agree with dragon master, duals and tourneys are totally different. i see maybe 3-4 of your wrestlers actually wrestling at state. ohmes, kelch, and maybe your 119. but on a good note you guys do have a full team and are progressing which is very impressing for a 1st yr team. but i would say that bullit looks the strongest to take region, with prp trailing by little.

i agree with dragonmaster. prp and bc are for sure the favorites. probably between doss southern and i think fairdale for third.  i watched the matches between doss, fairdale, mead, and holy cross tonight. saw some kids that will go deep at regionals from doss and  fairdale. i am impressed with how far meade has come in just one year, and i think their 112 has a good shot at advancing to the finals. and possibly 3 to 4 or even five more placing. that would give them a good shot at top five if everything falls perfect for them. i also agree that next year they will be a force. top seven or maybe five would be awesome for a first year team.