Sign in to follow this  
PPmothman

Super 32

Only two Kentucky wrestlers signed up for Super 32 high school division. Lane Kiser from Trinity and Ryan Smith from Johnson Central. Not sure why we don’t have more wrestlers doing what might be the hardest folk style tournament in the country.  

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, WesternKY Wrestling said:

There are also at least 2 registered for Super 32 MS bracket, Kayson White (Home School) & Thomas Brauer (Owensboro Catholic- Super 32 2022 finalist). I wish our numbers would be much higher.

Middle school also has Zac Scott from Johnson County entered it looks like. Not a big showing for Ky. All the neighboring states have far more kids. Even the smaller states. 

50 minutes ago, grappler-of-old said:

We say this every year.  It's tough to get these kids out at the verge of the football post season. 

Yeah but we had a lot more last year. Just a glance at the current rankings 7-8 of the number one ranked wrestlers don’t play football. So not sure football has a lot to do with it. Additionally I’m sure the surrounding states have a lot of multi sport kids as well. 

I am surprised there are not more attending.

However I have always argued the cost.  Many families cannot justify spending part of the families vacation money on only one of their kids. I definatly could not justify it for GOO JR. 

We in Ky still don't have that many wrestling fanatic families.  

As a wrestler who was fortunate enough to have parents that were willing to pay for big national tournaments like Flo, super 32, Fargo, etc. it's not easy on a family financially. Like @Dblev275 said these are easily $1000 weekend when include cost of travel to get there, hotel stay, food for the weekend, and entry fees (plus I mean you have to get some merch). So even if you're a wrestling fanatic family and you're entering multiple kids into it just makes it more expensive, is it worth it for the kids to get these experiences and be able to make memories and possibly get big national exposure, heck yes but it's a huge commitment if you don't do fundraising or get sponsorships. I hope one day to be able to send my future kids to these prestigious tournaments but won't go in debt to do so, and will probably have my children go look for local businesses for small donations to help with expenses.

Won't disagree that I'd like to see more of the top kids in Kentucky try to see where they stack up on a national scale though, and coaching multiple wrestlers at tournaments like Super 32 and Ironman has been some of the most fun and beneficial experiences of my coaching career.

Coach Parrott  

While I get it can definitely get expensive. It has never cost me 1k buck except Va beach and I make that a mini vacation. I think this weekend will cost less than half that. But still expensive. I just see surrounding states like Indiana and WV putting 30 plus kids in the tournament. I know if you want to wrestle in college Super 32, Va beach and Fargo go a long way. This is probably the cheaper one of the three.