Sign in to follow this  
Wrestling Dad

Union County wins Mater Dei

A humble congratulations to the Union County boys for crowning 3 champions and winning what I consider to be one of the toughest tournaments south of Pennsylvania and Ohio, The Evansville Mater Dei Christmas Tournament.  Most of the toughest teams in Indiana participate in this tournament.  In the past teams from Missouri, Kentucky, Alabama, Tennessee and Georgia have also participated.

I don't have access to the tournament's history, but I cannot remember over the past 30 years a team from Kentucky winning this thing.

Great performance by the boys from Union County, St. X and Trinity

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Wrestling Dad said:

A humble congratulations to the Union County boys for crowning 3 champions and winning what I consider to be one of the toughest tournaments south of Pennsylvania and Ohio, The Evansville Mater Dei Christmas Tournament.  Most of the toughest teams in Indiana participate in this tournament.  In the past teams from Missouri, Kentucky, Alabama, Tennessee and Georgia have also participated.

I don't have access to the tournament's history, but I cannot remember over the past 30 years a team from Kentucky winning this thing.

Great performance by the boys from Union County, St. X and Trinity

Union County won the Mater Dei Christmas Tournament in ‘12 and ‘16, but no doubt a rarity for any team in the past 30+ years, outside of Mater Dei. Heck of a performance from our three Kentucky teams. 

• Upvote 1

What's crazy is the team has only 4 seniors, 3 sophomores. 7 freshman. 

They were missing a sophomore due to injury and had 8 freshman competing in this tournament.

• Upvote 1